• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Daily Telegrpah - 31/07/2006 'Increase in use of 'retro' hallucinogenic drugs'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Increase in use of 'retro' hallucinogenic drugs
By Clare Masters
July 31, 2006 02:00am

RETRO drugs such as LSD and magic mushrooms are making a dangerous comeback, according to drug experts who warn recreational use of hallucinogenic drugs is on the rise.

School students in particular are at risk from the revival of the '60s substances with LSD at as little as $10 and mushrooms growing in backyards.

Sixty-four per cent of users surveyed had used LSD and three in four males aged over 14 had used mushrooms.

National Drugs and Alcohol Research Centre spokesman Paul Dillon said use of LSD and mushrooms was rising.

"They have been rising in the past couple of years and people are using it different ways, for example soaking sugar cubes in LSD. That drug also attracts a younger group because it is a very cheap drug," he said.

The latest NDARC report showed LSD was one of the most popular drugs used by regular ecstasy users in the past six months, with 32 per cent of users taking the drug, second only to cocaine which was 41 per cent.

The report profiled almost 1000 regular ecstasy users across Australia and found most had used LSD at age 18 with 64 per cent having used it. The rise in the use of magic mushrooms could be traced to users mistakenly believing they were safe because they grew naturally.

"When we give anti-drugs messages like 'it's chemical, you don't know what they put into it' sometimes you have a backlash with users," Mr Dillon said.

"Drugs users think, 'Well chemicals are bad for me so I'll use something natural,' but we know that natural does not necessarily mean safer. Sometimes it can be far more potent."

Flashbacks associated with LSD and magic mushrooms can be dangerous or even fatal, with the drugs often triggering a lifelong problem. A number of deaths have been associated with users picking the wrong strain of mushroom.

From Daily Telegraph / News.com.au

The latest NDARC report showed LSD was one of the most popular drugs used by regular ecstasy users in the past six months, with 32 per cent of users taking the drug, second only to cocaine which was 41 per cent.

I'm sure methamphetamine (all types) would be higher than cocaine, lsd, mushrooms, etc. Interesting it wasn't mentioned.

Do others think that there is really a resurgence in hallucinogens? I'm sure it depends on the groups of people concerned and the setting of use...

Well another amazing piece of journalism from the Telegraph. Is there an election soon or something?

The stats appear to be taken from the NDARC Party Drug Initiative (PDI) Australian Drug Trends 2005, published at the end of last year ("latest report" 8) ).

Nationally, 32% of regular ecstasy users surveyed had used LSD in the 6 months prior to survey. The median number of days LSD was used by that 32% over 6 months was 2 days - hardly an avalanche of use. Since the PDI started in 2000, the general trend is that LSD use has stayed stable or gone down.

As far as "last 6 months use", LSD was topped by alcohol (97% ), cannabis (84% ), tobacco (75% ), speed powder (74% ), base speed (38% ), crystal meth (38% ), cocaine (41% )

So basically, the newspaper article is bizarre and meaningless, and factually incorrect.

Interesting to note that 20% of those surveyed said that they had injected drugs at least once - this may or may not suggest a representative sample of "regular ecstasy users"...

"School students in particular are at risk"
ummm... why?

"Flashbacks associated with LSD and magic mushrooms can be dangerous or even fatal"

Fail.

I'm kinda glad hallucinogens are "making a comeback" (or that the media has finally discoverd that such drugs still exist.) Hopefully supply might increase as a result of more publicity=D =D

ayjay said:
The stats appear to be taken from the NDARC Party Drug Initiative (PDI) Australian Drug Trends 2005, published at the end of last year ("latest report" 8) ).

So that's why the media is always about a year behind the trend...

Get over flashbacks! How can they be fatal you loser reporter. There is way more chance killing yourself in a stupid way while peaking on the drug.

I'm generally noticing mushrooms being used far more widespread - but i guess that sort of situation is bound to happen as you grow older. Flashbacks Vs. Peaking... hmmm.. lol.

This is some of the best news ive heard in a long time, I knew it would just be a matter of time before acid came back because it is in high demand, but mushies? I love this I hope acid and mushrooms become mainstream with(or hopefully in place of) meth, E and pot.

[EDIT: No need to tell us that thanks. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
There was an interesting situation in the UK until fairly recently where it was legal to sell magic mushrooms. I was wandering around Camden market a couple of years ago in London and there were about 6 million (OK - hyperbole ;) ) stalls openly selling bags of magic mushies. Too weird!! It's illegal now I fink...

Awesome, LSD comeback!! Hopefully the sheer brilliance of this report will spur some civil minded LSD manufacturers to boost their production and increase availability! Thanks daily telegraph, you showed me the way %)

RETRO drugs such as LSD and magic mushrooms are making a dangerous comeback, according to drug experts who warn recreational use of hallucinogenic drugs is on the rise.

'Dangerous' maybe from the eyes of the tabloid newspaper that might be thinking more people will be introduced to hallucinogens and realise they don't need/want to read bs propaganda....

ayjay said:
There was an interesting situation in the UK until fairly recently where it was legal to sell magic mushrooms. I was wandering around Camden market a couple of years ago in London and there were about 6 million (OK - hyperbole ;) ) stalls openly selling bags of magic mushies. Too weird!! It's illegal now I fink...
Oh I could cry right now just thinking about that. Yes it's illegal, unless you want that Fly Agaric stuff, and I don't think it's really my cup o tea. Salvia is still legal though.

well i've found my first LSD in about two years - hell probably three years so going by that i would say that if it can find its self to a chugs in suburbia then it it must be going through a revitalisation

its there generation that has turned our generation to drug abuse..... Life aint easy anymore and if most of our parents woke up they might see that..as for the media,,, they can go and suck my dick.,

The Psychedelic revival has been going on for a few years now, this is only the beginning.... where will it end