Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 4-methylmethcathinone in Cairns

JakesCode

Bluelighter
Hey there,

I was watching the news today and they had an article on a drug which is now in the Cairns region and being moved in clear capsules. I think if i recall correctly it was Methcathinone, although I could be wrong.

Can anyone find any links to this article or confirm that that is actually the drug in question? Just curious to know..

Cheers everyone.

Would be very interesting to hear if this is true, it would be the first news story about this drug in Australia. Couldn't find anything from the Cairns Post.

Not altogether surprising, Cairns has a very active party scene, I would say a large number of drug users for a community of it's size and it's airport is one of the first ports of call for anyone travelling into the country.

I agree with everything Hoptis. I wish I could somehow go back and confirm the actually drug. I too have looked through the Cairns post with no such luck. The news didn't go into any great detail on the drug or how it worked. Simply that it was a 'deadly stimulant'. They showed an image which looked like it had came straight off erowid. Complete with the RC baggie labelled 'Not for human consumption'.

Thanks for the link BongoBongo, but I actually read that right after the news.

Hopefully something will pop up in the paper through the week and we'll be able to shed some more light on the topic.

Cheers everyone for your input so far.

Thanks Bongo that shed a fair bit of light on the subject for me... Seems to be similar to Speed or Ice by reading that.

Sounds almost identical to meth to me. Anyone here used it and able to do a comparison of the two?

Heres what I have been looking for.. Just found it now...

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2008/06/18/4685_local-news.html

Enjoy fellow BL'ers

[EDIT: Thanks Jake, posting whole article. hoptis]

Killer pills hit Cairns
Damon Guppy
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
© The Cairns Post

Cairns-WebUsual-CP18JUN08P101-CC102113-PILLS.jpg

Killer pills: Police have issued a warning that a dangerous batch of ecstasy pills is circulating amongst the Cairns partty scene.

KILLER pills are being sold as ecstasy to party drug users in Cairns, police warn.

Forensic tests have confirmed capsules seized in recent weeks contain two drugs – ethylcathinone and 4-methylmethcathinone – that can shut down vital organs.

Far Northern Drug Squad Det Sen-Sgt Mick Dowie said the pills were being sold or passed around as ecstasy and could be fatal to the user.

"It’s definitely not ecstasy – which is a dangerous drug in itself," he said.

"These drugs are life-threatening and we’d like the assistance of the public to find the source of them and to get them off the street."

Detectives discovered the lethal drug was in Cairns about six weeks ago when they seized two pills from a man who believed they were ecstasy.

Three weeks ago, they seized 150 pills.

Drug raid locates elaborate cannabis operation - click here to view video footage.

Sen-Sgt Dowie said the producers were buying empty capsules and filling them with the drugs in brown powder form.

Ethylcathinone and 4-Methylmethcathinone, also known as 4-MTA, could cause hypothermia and organ failure, he said.

Sen-Sgt Dowie said 4-MTA was similar to a drug known as PMA but it was much more dangerous.

Such pills were produced by people with little knowledge or regard for the health effects, he said.

"Most of them are drug-addicts themselves and they don’t really care about the end-users," Sen-Sgt Dowie said.

"This is a perfect scenario where someone could easily die out of someone else trying to make a quick dollar."

Police believe several people had already taken the drug and they were trying to determine whether any had fallen seriously ill.

"We understand from information from the public that these pills may be reasonably widespread in the community and have only recently been introduced into the community," Sen-Sgt Dowie said.

"If you do have them, don’t take them, whatever you do."

Sen-Sgt Dowie urged users who had the pills to contact police to help them find the source.

"Obviously we wouldn’t be looking to charge minor users under those circumstances," he said.

Cairns Post

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do these people come from!! Whoever was responsible for that article should be publicly humiliated (at least) for pretending to have a clue about what they're reporting. Bloody idiots!!

Ethylcathinone and 4-Methylmethcathinone, also known as 4-MTA, could cause hypothermia and organ failure, he said.

4-MTA is NOT methyl-methcathinone!! This accepted abbreviation stands for 4-methylthioamphetamine aka flatliners. This drug has been associated with several deaths.

Now, I'm not saying 4-methylmethcathinone is completely harmless, but it's a very different drug to 4-MTA. No wonder young people don't take the cops seriously. Such incorrect reporting threatens to seriously undermine the HR value of future warnings on dangerous drugs such as PMA.

Ethylcathinone may be available in NZ and both have become rather popular as of late. It's no surprise they're turning up, and there's lots more of these compounds that are also likely to supply the future booming Ecstasy market in Australia.

And another one from the ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/17/2277735.htm

[EDIT: Article. hoptis]

Police warn of potentially fatal 'fake ecstasy'
Posted Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:49pm AEST
Updated Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:16pm AEST

Police are concerned about a potentially fatal drug being passed off as ecstasy in far north Queensland.

The clear capsules contain a brown powder.

Detective Senior Sergeant Mick Dowie says officers have seized more than 150 of the capsules in the past six weeks.

"The actual drugs are Ethylcathinone and 4-Methylmethcathinone, which are drugs obviously that probably don't mean much to people on the street but when you look them up on the internet you can actually see that they are potentially a fatal drug and they cause the vital organs to malfunction," he said.

A Cairns regional councillor says it is a reminder for parents to educate their children about drugs.

Councillor Dinne Forsyth, who has spent several years helping drug addicts rehabilitate, says she is concerned to hear about the pills.

"It is about communication - parents talking to their kids about drugs, about what's out there," she said.

"Not in terms of a lecture to them, but as a conversation - asking them what it is they they think is happening, that's out there, checking out with your kids, have they been offered drugs and how do they know to be able to stay away from them."

Anyone who has come across the drugs is being urged to contact police.

ABC News

Basically yes,

The issue here is that it is being pushed as ecstacy as opposed to being sold as what it is. Very little information in known on dosages, as well as what doses are present in the capsules. I very much doubt they are using scales to measure out the dosages if its being done as a commercial venture, meaning effects could vary from capsule to capsule. And its anyones guess what could happen if someone who typically double drops MDMA were to do the same with the chemicals present here.

^ yeah fully. very, very shitty thing to do.

i cant get over the hate in the cairns post readers tho! far out, wishing people dead because they do something you wouldnt do yourself... i thought we moved pass that mindset a while ago.

NEWS: Killer pills found in raid

[EDIT: Threads merged. hoptis]

123wk5t.jpg

POLICE last night were questioning a man after seizing more than 1800 pills they suspect contain a deadly drug being sold in Cairns as ecstasy. Far Northern Drug Squad detectives raided a house at Kentia St, Palm Cove, about 4pm yesterday after receiving several tip-offs from the public following revelations in The Cairns Post of the drug’s deadly potential. A unit at Grantala St, Manoora, also was searched. Det Sen-Sgt Mick Dowie said three Clipseal bags, each containing 600 pills, and almost $26,000 in cash were among the items seized from the Palm Cove home. Each capsule was filled with a brown powder which police will have tested to determine whether it is the same lethal drug they issued a warning about earlier this week.

"These pills are definitely consistent in appearance and colour to what we were looking for," Det Sen-Sgt Dowie said.

Det Sen-Sgt Dowie said on Tuesday his squad had seized pills containing ethylcathinone and 4-methylmethcathinone - drugs which can cause vital organs to shut down. He said the tablets were being sold on the streets as ecstasy to unsuspecting users.

During the Palm Cove raid, police also seized 4kg of hydroponic cannabis, 1g of suspected speed, thousands of empty capsules and about 1kg of powder which also will be analysed. A man, 37, was being questioned. Det Sen-Sgt Dowie said a woman from the Grantala St unit was helping police with their investigations.

"We're making further inquiries in relation to other people," he said.

The drug squad received about 15 calls yesterday morning after police warned of the dangers of the pills.

"We've been very happy with the assistance we received from the community," Det Sen-Sgt Dowie said.

=========================================================================================================

Were these Neo-Doves?

KILLER pills are being sold as ecstasy to party drug users in Cairns, police warn. Forensic tests have confirmed capsules seized in recent weeks contain two drugs – ethylcathinone and 4-methylmethcathinone – that can shut down vital organs. Far Northern Drug Squad Det Sen-Sgt Mick Dowie said the pills were being sold or passed around as ecstasy and could be fatal to the user.

"It’s definitely not ecstasy – which is a dangerous drug in itself," he said.

"These drugs are life-threatening and we’d like the assistance of the public to find the source of them and to get them off the street."

Detectives discovered the lethal drug was in Cairns about six weeks ago when they seized two pills from a man who believed they were ecstasy. Three weeks ago, they seized 150 pills. Sen-Sgt Dowie said the producers were buying empty capsules and filling them with the drugs in brown powder form. Ethylcathinone and 4-Methylmethcathinone, also known as 4-MTA, could cause hypothermia and organ failure, he said. Sen-Sgt Dowie said 4-MTA was similar to a drug known as PMA but it was much more dangerous. Such pills were produced by people with little knowledge or regard for the health effects, he said.

"Most of them are drug-addicts themselves and they don’t really care about the end-users," Sen-Sgt Dowie said.

"This is a perfect scenario where someone could easily die out of someone else trying to make a quick dollar."

Police believe several people had already taken the drug and they were trying to determine whether any had fallen seriously ill.

"We understand from information from the public that these pills may be reasonably widespread in the community and have only recently been introduced into the community," Sen-Sgt Dowie said.

"If you do have them, don’t take them, whatever you do."

Sen-Sgt Dowie urged users who had the pills to contact police to help them find the source.

"Obviously we wouldn’t be looking to charge minor users under those circumstances," he said.

================================================== ================================================== =====

hunderds off little brown filled caps were around adelaide a while ago, i thought it was a cheap bikie PMA/MDA fucked up so they just sold em as caps. didn't damage me noticably, sure did get ya fucked up though. less than one point and would roll, more 'fukd up' than normall pill though. also was smokeable but left horroble mess in pipe.. could it be the same stuff?

4-methylmethcathinone seems to be what was in pills produced by the same guys as the neo-doves. I don't know if it was the same active ingredient as neo-doves just that one of the products by the same company contained this active ingredient.

Cathinone though seems to be the psychoactive in Khat.

A bit silly to say that these are "drugs which can cause vital organs to shut down". You could say that about anything. It really destroys the credibility of law enforcement when they say things like these.

Does anyone know if either of these drugs have ever killed anyone? The government say's every drugs a killer drug, don't really believe them.

static_mind said:
Does anyone know if either of these drugs have ever killed anyone? The government say's every drugs a killer drug, don't really believe them.

Not really. They don't seem particularly dangerous.