• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 21 year old ODs while broadcasting over webcam.

*sigh* I just finished reading the log.
What a waste of life. It seems such a shame that someone would do this. Put their life at such a risk. Words can't describe how I feel.
Those onlookers, I don't care who they are, should feel ashamed of themselves. They should have known better. No one was there took control. There was no voice of reason.
I'm supposed to be studying for an exam. Now all I want to do is shake my head and thank God I have never been in such a situation.
My deepest condolences to the family.
Rest in Peace Brendan Vedas.
F

No one was there took control. There was no voice of reason.
The ultimate (terminal) responsibility for taking control of the situation lay with the drug user. The voice of reason (conscience? common sense? maturity?) was switched off in this person's mind, or ignored altogether.
The only person that can be blamed for this death is the drug user. Nobody else made him take that much.
BigTrancer :)

Having read the log myself, there are a few things I want to comment on...
As he took more and more, Vedas' typing became disjointed. His chat pals cheered him on.
"Ripper — you should try to pass out in front of the cam," suggested one gleeful voyeur.
Put in context, I believe that was said out of concern. The person who said it wanted him to pass out in front of the camera so that they could monitor how he was and, if neccessary, hopefully do something about it.
"I am online with 911. Is this the right choice?" asked one chatter. "NO NO NO NO NO," said another. "I talked my way out of it," came the reply. "I didn't give them any info."
That quote was followed up by;
[05:24] <Oea> 360mg is a LETHAL OVERDOSE
[05:24] <Oea> just so you know
[05:24] <Oea> they siad there's nothing they can do
[05:24] <Oea> with just a cell phon enumber
This user had actually tried to report it but was unsuccessful.
People seem to have been upset by comments made by 'PNutboy'. Pnutbot is not a person, it is an automated chat robot programmed to respond to certain keywords.
That said, I agree that Smoke2k was tactless, however, I want to point out a quote that kind of hints at what he must have been thinking;
[04:46] <Oea> they'll think it's a prank
[04:46] <hast> yeah, and from what i understand everyone thought pnut's suicide threat was a joke too
Let's try to put ourselves in the onlookers positions.
Finally;
[04:22] <phalaris> he knows he's attempting suicide for the umpteenth time
Maybe this kid wasn't as dumb as we think.. That said, if he was going to commit suicid, he probably picked the worst way to do it.
My thoughts go out to his friends and family.
RIP Brandon Vedas.
(edited to hopefully structure my arguments somewhat)
[ 07 February 2003: Message edited by: Bossdog ]

Yeah I was a big pissed about them knocking the guy who said to pass out in front of the webcam, I was sure this was an attempt at safety...but it is true...lots of people were concerned...but there were few who attempted anything to save. And BT: sometimes people have to help others who can't help themselves...but that said...i doubt there was much that could have been done, considering the lack of information and short time period.

wonder what he was trying to achieve?
did he want us to feel sorry for him?
was it a cry for help?
whatever.....bringing other people into his "death wish" is very self serving imho.
unfortunately, i bet we can expect alot more of this to come in time :( ....
[ 09 February 2003: Message edited by: lorrett ]

russian rulet with drugs. i hope this story acts as an example (or reality check) to other ppl being dare devils with drugs.
everyone repeat after me:
"I am not invincible, i will not live forever"
its a freaky example of how powerful group pressure can be hey?
[ 09 February 2003: Message edited by: crapdumwasteoftime ]

Cowboy mac, by posting a convenient link to webcam pics, you have just joined the herd mentality being spoken of here.
People may well want to look at those pics but why not just let them seek it out for themselves.

Cowboy mac, by posting a convenient link to webcam pics, you have just joined the herd mentality being spoken of here.
People may well want to look at those pics but why not just let them seek it out for themselves.
rayda: my personal views on harm reduction are spoken through being a member of the melbourne harm reduction group enlighten and moderating pillreports.com. why should i waste my free time, volunteering for such a cause? so i might in some small way help people from consuming adulterated pills and coming to harm. that is why i thought this topic should be posted, sometimes shock value has more value that people preaching harm reduction advice. a picture tells a thousand words, think of it as a TAC road accident campaign.
my only initial comment as my first post in the thread was "he was being a dickhead and got owned. respect drugs, or they will fuck you over." and that still is my point, i hope next time you consider dangerous drug use you think of him, and then re-evaluate your situation - maybe then his death wasn't in vain.
oh and seeing you cant help yourself clicking any link i post, i highly recommend http://www.goatse.cx/
[ 09 February 2003: Message edited by: Cowboy Mac ]

^^^I think your first message was excellent as it was the cold, hard truth & was directed at the audience where the point needs to be pushed.
As for the video link...It's part of the story & I'd rather know as much of what caused this as possible. So as to hopefully be able set down the ground work to stop it happening to anyone again...hopefully :)

Thread Closed.
This thread has been closed because it has lost focus on the original topic.
If you have anything further to add on the subject of the original topic, please email me at [email protected] to arrange this.
BigTrancer :)

I have reopened this thread after receiving an email, which stated:
Hi, I was reading the "21 year old OD's in front of webcam" thread in the Aus/Asia/NZ Drug Discussion thread and it seems that everybody believes those pictures of Ripper are the real thing. They are in fact just some guy trying to take the piss out of the situation. He looks nothing like Brandon Vedas. As far as I know nobody actually recorded Ripper's webcam feed, thankfully..
Anyway I'm not sure if you agree but I believe it is important to add to the thread that those pictures are a hoax, I'm sure a lot of people will be glad to know that.
A followup email replied:
Hello,
Yes could you please anonymously quote me in that thread.
There are pictures of Brandon at http://clops.networkoperations.us/ripper.html Anybody should be able to tell that the webcam pics are not him. Sorry for making a big deal about this!
This thread has been reopened for discussion on this new thread, or discussion of the original TOPIC.
ANY OFF-TOPIC COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED, and flamers will have their bluelight account suspended for 14 days.
BigTrancer.

This had actually occurred to me, as it said somewhere that he was naked during the whole incident, and the guy in the supposed webcam pics is definately NOT naked...

wow this is the most fucked up thing, man i am awe struck
wow ,man thats crazy.
RIP ripper, and sorry to his family and friends :(

Before you read this don't think I’m coming from some fucked up moral high ground. Judgement is a natural tendency in humans yet I can't help thinking that we're devaluing this guys life by using such inappropriate lexicons such as a stupid, dickhead, or "natural selection at work" to describe a really sad and awful event.

How many people here have come that close (obviously not showing the world) to killing themselves? How many times have you gotten so drunk, being egged on my friends and mates, to the point where you've had severe alcohol poisoning? I know I have and more importantly it was only the finality of such an act that made me realise the times I had come dangerously close to ending my life. It instead of the cliche dark alone sucide attempts it was the event where your with all your friends that ironically brings you closer to death.

like all drug abuse (and this was abuse) it was a cry for help. A human lost in life. How can we judge this act when we know nothing of the events that lead him to that point?

although this site focuses on the chemical aspect of drug harm mininisation perhaps not enough is being done to modify peer preasure or group behaviour as, although not the primary factor in this sad event, is still something that needs to be combatted. People still get hung up about taking as much as possible in the smallest possible time without any regard to their health or life.

on a side note doesn't this remind you of "Pump up the Volume" -

Last edited:
i think some of the viewers may have been worried about there role in his death and what the law might have to say. i'm sure there guilty of something and thats why someone reacted so quickly to say no to the person calling the police

why the fuck has this thread been dragged back up...???

PEOPLE>>>THIS THREAD IS 2 YEARS OLD!!!!

Fuck I remember when this happened, I dunno why old posts like this have to be brought back up.