• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: 21/07/2003 : Vic Drivers risk visit to the 'drugs bus'

In regards to mention of legislating to allow the use of these devices for drug testing; regardless of whatever system they decide to go with, I have strong doubts about whether either technology, on its own, would stand up in court. The test will come if and when someone decides to challenge a demand for a blood/urine test should the initial test comes up positive, or if a person comes up clean with a blood test after failing a roadside swab, saliva etc test. The only legally acknowledged undisputable test for drug/ metabolites is GC/MS, of which results must be reproducible. In special circumstances, with some substances, other techniques are permitted, but only where there is substantial evidence of reliability and repeatability with the technique. This is why a positive immunoassay test in the workplace requires confirmation by GC/MS

Immunoassay tests are not without problems, just check the disclaimers from every manufacturer. It is also important to remember the difference between a breathalyzer test for alcohol, where a single oxidising agent (usually Chromium VI) oxidises alcohol and is itself reduced from the orange Cr6+, to (Chromium III), green in colour; and drug testing which looks for far lower concentrations of a wide variety of compounds. The alcohol breathalyzer system is far from fallible, but in many respects there is less consequence in the advent of a false positive, and it may be as simple as waiting 10 minutes for mouth alcohol levels to subside before being cleared with a second test.

A thing I have proven many times is that a squirt of lemon juice in water swirled in the mouth and swallowed coupled with correct breathing prior to the test can often fool the test. The dichromate breathalyzer test also indicates the presence of other things, in fact anything which can be reduced by Cr6+, so it is far from perfect.

But the biggest difference is that which has been mentioned – that drug tests indicate previous use, perhaps irrelevant to the intent of stopping those driving under the influence. However, as with alcohol, it is arguable to some that any presence of certain drug metabolites also increases risks when driving. The seemingly fair alternative of establishing base levels, is as BT explained, unlikely to receive priority due the cost of implementation. As well, there the legal ramifications of any future accidents involving drivers with serum levels of metabolites. Establishing these base levels would be a legal nightmare, especially when no other country currently recognizes minimum levels. While drugs remain illegal, aside from the crime of driving under the influence, any body levels of a drug or its metabolites (at least that which is detectable) constitutes very a convincing indication that at least 3 past offences have occurred. Procurement, personal possession and administration

But as I see it, the data from this will point to an urgent need for social focusing on what will be revealed as a far greater *problem* than has ever been acknowledged. I believe this has been at least some of the reasoning behind past decisions not to implement such testing. Once you have the numbers, as a government you are forced to attend to the problem. How this will go is anybody’s guess.

Either base levels will be established, or society will be segregated more distinctly. I’m sure there are many marijuana users who could give up for weeks and still show positive on such a test.

Personally (sorry baby-doc) I would rather drive with someone who has regularly taken pot or even a bit of coke/amp etc, than with someone who has taken benzo’s for any length of time. Just my opinion of course, but my point is that just as many OTC and prescription drugs also increase risks, so what will be the permitted baseline levels for these which will possibly also show up on roadside tests.

Either way the non-effectiveness of such tests will be well exploited. Mouth rinse products capable rendering these ineffective will find a good market, illicit or otherwise. As urine tests have shown, this is easily accomplished. Perhaps these products will work by cleaving the immuno-labeled antigens, or more likely provide a convenient mouth wash which will bind to any and all metabolite etc present in the mouth. The immuno labeling compounds will then have nothing to attach to. Or perhaps people will resort to obtaining prescriptions for a drug which conveniently masks the colour of an illicit favorite.

^Well written!
IMO they should make you stand on one foot/ walk in a straight line first, (this could be a baseline, of sorts) and if you fail that they can blood test you. That would be fair enough cos you shouldnt be driving if you're too fucked up anyway... :)

phase_dancer said:
[...]
A thing I have proven many times is that a squirt of lemon juice in water swirled in the mouth and swallowed coupled with correct breathing prior to the test can often fool the test.
[...]

And just out of interest, what would the correct breathing involve?

Once, I was pulled over for a random breath test. I had consumed two 'Jim Beam Black' stubbies in about a 90 minute period, about 15 minutes prior. I think they are almost 2 standard drinks each. I blew over the limit.

The officers asked me to accompany them to the police station. I was shitting myself the whole ride to the station in the back of the 'divvy' van. When we got there, they asked me the usual questions, what did i drink, how much, etc. They then left me alone for about 5 minutes, before sending me to their 'Big arsed breath tester'.

This is when i thought that there cant be any alcohol in my mouth if it is dry, so I breathed fairly quickly until my mouth was dry, (hey i was desperate). Then they got me to blow into their big arse breath tester. I had only registered a BAC of .02.

I realize now that most of the moisture that the reader receives probably comes from the lungs.

another thing that is wrong with this testing is the fact that if someones drink is spiked on a night out, they may get up the next day, not feel shithouse anymore drive home and get fucked.... even though the consumption was not willful.
i think that driving the next day after consuming pills/meth/amph is fine..... it is the peak of these drugs where you should not be driving.
an acceptable level should be set because three days after is just ridiculous.
DfI:)

Sounds like a system fraught with difficulties, although from what people have been saying it could be open season on drug users.
What response would prescribed drugs like dexies trigger?
Legal pharms like DXM possibly producing the same metabolites as Ketamine?
Would they target wired truck drivers as well as ravers?
Wide-spread drug tests for anything driven, pilots, fork-lift drivers, ice-cream truck drivers there would be considerable opposition for this i think?
Let's Secretly Driveaway!

phase_dancer said:
Personally (sorry baby-doc) I would rather drive with someone who has regularly taken pot or even a bit of coke/amp etc, than with someone who has taken benzo’s for any length of time. Just my opinion of course, but my point is that just as many OTC and prescription drugs also increase risks, so what will be the permitted baseline levels for these which will possibly also show up on roadside tests.
No need to apologise - I completely agree. Every day there are shitloads of drivers on the road who are impaired, either by prescription, OTC medication or by illicit drugs. Hell, if you believe pharmacists, even Nurofen may impair your driving ability. An even greater concern to me is the many fatigued drivers on the road each day. I bet a fatigued driver is much more dangerous than someone who smoked a joint yesterday, but alas...

There are some pivotal points posted here... Great discussion folks :)

I wonder how long it'll be for NSW?

Hell, if you believe pharmacists, even Nurofen may impair your driving ability.
Isn't such advice more of a disclaimer than a genuine warning? Nurofen are supposed to be "non-drowsy" and it says nothing on the packet about avoiding driving...

:)

Last edited:
^^^ it said nothing on the box of 20mil ketamine vials i got either... should be right to drive hey?

Hehe... If I actually had a licence I'd be cutting the fucker up and symbolically handing it in to my nearest constabulary.

Ummm 2 minutes? You saying they're going to pull every driver over for 2 minutes and delay traffic to that extent...? Not quite possible.

apollo: there is a poster on display in many pharmacies and hospitals with medications that may impair driving as much as being at 0.05 blood alcohol. Ibuprofen is on this list. I was puzzled too.

Police have subjected 550 erratic drivers to drug impairment tests since the introduction of random testing laws in 2001.

You would have to be pretty messy to be doing this.... Its just silly really.

I wonder how night after patrons would fare? :D

I'd like to know if it's going to test positive for codeine, psuedoephadrine and ADD drugs.

The link that CowboyMac gave for the Cozart RapiScan shows Codeine on the list of Opiates. I noticed that straight away. So basically it seems that you could eat 2 neurofen plus and come up with a positive drug test or bang some heroin the night before.

From the pdf on the drug screener: Thus, the presence of morphine (or the metabolite, morphine glucuronide) in the urine indicates heroin, morphine and / or codeine use.

So anyone driving home from work with a headache can be a victim.

I dont like it.

stace.

Perhaps it will be legal drugs that brings into play the need to derive some sort of across the board minimum levels. With some people pseudoephedrine will also show the same positive as amphetamine, depending upon individual variances (enzyme dependant) in metabolism. As OTC products with <2% pseudoephedrine are [still, I think] allowed , there's bound to be situations where there is significant reasonable doubt to avoid prosecution. Indeed, it may even be reasonable grounds to refuse if required to provide a roadside urine/blood sample as a follow-up test. Make a process undignified enough for the ol' boys to complain...

There will also be the absurdity of dedicating so much police time and money to a fallible, zero tolerance based detection system. Perhaps it will be up to the discretion of the cop as to whether or not a positive result is processed further. The undeniable fact is that any flawed or imperfect process made into law will be well exploited by those wishing to undermine or cheat something they see as unfair in principle. For others it will be just because it can be done. While its hard to argue against the need to remove intoxicated drivers from the road, identifying previous illicit drug or OTC medication use is another matter altogether.

However, there are awfully difficult areas to address if ammendments are made. One of these no doubt concerns drugs like cannabis, where a heavy user abstaining for a day or more before driving, will still show a positive on immunolabeling tests. How then would it be possible to distinguish between a heavy smoker who abstained for a day and is driving effectively straight, and an occasional smoker who had just had a joint? Both these would be likely to show the same thing i.e. that the driver has THC and or metabolites in his/her blood. But in each case, the question should be how long have these metabolites been there?

Better tests could be developed, in fact they probably have been. As THC is metabolised into its chief conjugate metabolites - which are eliminated slowly - a specific series of enzymes is involved. Using a map of sequences it is theroetically possible to produce a test which selectively measures ratios of the first intermediate metabolites, thus indicating whether THC metabolism has started within a certain time frame.

That would be a fair test,....mmm, now where are my trainer wheels ;)

what if you have a subscription for Duromine diet pills??
They are amphet in them dont they?

Duramine (pheneramine) is a phenethylamine a, a, dimethylphenethylamine to be exact.

The addition of 2 methyl groups in the alpha position to the amine would likely not result in much psychoactive activity IMO.

If you've got a script, there should be no worries

im as against people driving under the influence of any ability impairing substance, my family and I were even involved in a serious head-on colision at high speed because the fuckhead in the other car was drunk. However, i think this is a very bad thing, as many others have and will state(d) these tests will surely come up positive even if the person is no longer impaired by the drug, so long as they took it in the last 24hr-3 months who knows. I know if you smoke a lot of weed, there can be trace amounts in your blood after 3months plus. Imagine that, smoking no weed for a month then getting busted for driving under the influence of pot. fuck that. Im sure it will be a zero tollerance issue to like everything else drug related. I mean, imagine trying to argue in court that even though you did consume some magic mushrooms, its ok, because it was 10 hours ago and you felt perfectly normal at the time of driving, Im sure the judge/jury would be most sympathetic. There will be no .05 type crap for us druggies, no sir.

glad i dont drive, lol

P.S
To those who get done driving home fucked off their heads on whatever, you deserve it, just be glad your not living with killing someones mother or something like that for the rest of your life.