• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 15.11.09 - New designer drug Mephedrone or MM-Cat being bought over internet

jesusisawombat

Bluelighter
STUDENTS and clubbers are buying a new designer drug billed as "a cross between cocaine and ecstasy" over the internet.

Drug experts are alarmed by the emergence of mystery drug Mephedrone - known on the street as MM-Cat, Plant Food, Meow and 4-MMC.

And they fear its use could spiral as students celebrate the end of exams and the beginning of schoolies week, The Sunday Telegraph reports.

The latest "legal high" is being pushed on social networking sites such as Facebook.

NSW Police say they are "aware of mephedrone" but play down its spread. While users and experts, including the federal health department, are divided over its legality, police insist it is a derivative of methcathinone, and therefore prohibited.

The drug, which comes in both powder and pill form, has been officially banned in Norway, Finland, Denmark, Israel and Sweden, but is legal in Britain - the main exporter of the drug.

"This is the drug that will destroy the Sydney cocaine market," one user told The Sunday Telegraph on condition of anonymity.

"People are trying to buy up big, organising bulk shipments from China and the UK because it's only a matter of time before they ban the stuff."

Sydney drug and alcohol researcher Paul Dillon said he was "blown away" by the number of chat room forums sharing experiences of MM-Cat users.

"I have to say that I have never, ever seen such a positive buzz about a drug on the internet - and I mean in my whole career," Mr Dillon said.

"That worries me because here's a drug that is legal and here's a drug that really works. It's not like herbal ecstasy where users take it and find it's nothing like the real thing.

"The problem is that we know so little about this drug that we don't know what it does to you. Users should absolutely consider themselves guinea pigs."

Derived from the khat plant, MM-Cat can be bought in quantities ranging from 1g ($15) to 1000g (about $6300) from more than 40 international websites, mainly based in the UK. A UK website called Research Chemicals boasts "Mephedrone is our number-one selling plant food."

There are dozens of ads tagged "urgent" placed by Australians desperately searching for suppliers who will send bulk shipments of MM-Cat into the country.

Recently, however, a number of sites have posted notices saying they will no longer ship to Australia. This follows a seizure by Queensland Police of a stash of MM-Cat pills from the car of a suspected dealer in Cairns.

It is the only known seizure of the drug in this country but police have yet to press charges against two people arrested because of the grey legal area that surrounds the drug. Local users said they could continue to import the drug by having it forwarded to them by friends who bought it legally in London.

"Dealers often advertise this drug as being like ecstasy but its properties are much more similar to cocaine and amphetamines," said Professor Iain McGregor, director of Sydney University's Psychopharmacology Laboratory. "Users get feelings of euphoria, it's dancey, it's happy, a bit trippy.

"Unfortunately for people like myself and Paul (Dillon), who are here to tell people drugs are bad, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot that is bad about it.

"Unfortunately for people like myself and Paul (Dillon), who are here to tell people drugs are bad, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot that is bad about it.

Why would that say something like that at the end of the article! If people who just heard about it had any apprehension about trying this drug it all disappeared with that line.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,26352004-2,00.html

Last edited:
Buying drugs off the internet seems to be getting more and more attention.

My psychiatrist asked me if I buy drugs off the internet a couple weeks ago, I said I didn't (which I don't).

But it goes to show how aware people are becoming about it.

I think there's a great deal wrong with the cardio toxic nature of 4-mmc. I'm not sure who wrote the article, or who has been quoted, but that has to be one of the most misguided statements surrounding the safety of a relatively unknown chemical in a long time. 8)

^
Indeed, I've also heard that it can be very damaging to the cardiovascular system. Deaths have resulted from overuse in the UK I hear (usually from large, repetitious dosing) which is possible with 4-mmc unlike MDMA. Point being, not enough is known about the drug, it may be relatively safe when used with moderation, but toxic as hell past a certain limit. But it is important to note the majority of people who have run into trouble with 4-mmc were abusing it.

I have heard it described as a cross between E and Cocaine.

Honestly, how else would each of us Bluelighter's describe it to the average star traveller?

Last edited:
Agreed this has certainly become the next big thing to replace e really, over the last few years. I agree that not enough is known about this stuff and even its short term effects.

I have tried a little of the stuff but after reading other peoples experiences from extended use, I won't be bothering with it again.

"Unfortunately for people like myself and Paul (Dillon), who are here to tell people drugs are bad, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot that is bad about it."

This is about as irresponsible as it gets from a HR point of view.

said Professor Iain McGregor, director of Sydney University's Psychopharmacology Laboratory. "Users get feelings of euphoria, it's dancey, it's happy, a bit trippy.

Maybe Mr Iain McGregor and Mr Paul Dillon have a container of the stuff they need to get rid of!!!!!

I was under the impression that it was illegal in Australia, but judging by this article it might not be. So thwe question is: is it legal or not?

4-mmc would be covered under Australia's extensive analogue laws making it very much illegal. If you get caught importing this stuff you might be the first individual, AFAIK, that these laws are actually tested on. :\

Man... And they wonder why kids go out and get these drugs! They read about the latest shit in the newspaper lol...

I wonder how much the usage will increase as a result...

Would love to see the stats on how much the incidences of some variation on 'mephedrone + australia + order' being typed into google has gone up since that article was published.

I agree with psytaco is it legal or not ??

I actually started a thread a while back with that title but got shut down ......I don't think anyone knows 100% at the moment.Maybe it's worth one of us calling customs and finding the current status of mephedrone ,once and for all ?!

I agree with psytaco is it legal or not ??

I actually started a thread a while back with that title but got shut down ......I don't think anyone knows 100% at the moment.Maybe it's worth one of us calling customs and finding the current status of mephedrone ,once and for all ?!

See post 10. It's illegal under analogue laws. :\

I almost got arrested because of some left on a note in my wallet last night, bit of topic sorry.

If it IS illegal why did i safely receive a small amount of it bought oover the net less than 2 months ago ??

If it IS illegal why did i safely receive a small amount of it bought oover the net less than 2 months ago ??

People break the law every day but not all of them get caught. Considering your logical reasoning seems to be a little off I'll point you in the direction of the law in black and white.

Criminal Code Act 1995: Division 314 -- Drugs, plants, precursors and quantities (s314.4 Border controlled drugs)

Hopefully Phase can drop in and provide a little more info regarding the chemistry. :)

Because it slipped thru customs somehow. I know a few people who used to get it also but few months ago stopped receiving it cos they confiscated it few times in a row few days n weeks apart. Its an analogue of an illegal substance and if it mimics any illegal drug or similar chemical structure u bet its banned.

Wish i was living in EU sumtimes still. Mates have been legally buying half kilos without even having to leave his home and deal with shady dealers when u never know when ud get stabbed, killed or rolled for ur money. Not to mention the quality control.

I just wish AU wasnt so harsh and we could just purchase things just like they do in Europe. Everyone ends up buying dangerous illegal substances here in AU instead which i find disturbing.

Last edited by a moderator: