News New Yorkers With Marijuana Convictions Will Get First Retail Licenses

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

New Yorkers With Marijuana Convictions Will Get First Retail Licenses​

Jesse McKinley, Grace Ashford
New York Times
9 Mar 2022

ALBANY, N.Y. — New York State will soon announce plans to usher in its first outlets for retail sales of marijuana by the end of the year, giving applicants access to stockpiles of the drug grown by local farmers and offering sweeteners like new storefronts leased by the state.

The only catch? To be one of the state’s first licensed retailers, you or a member of your family must have been convicted of a marijuana-related offense.

The policy, to be announced by Gov. Kathy Hochul on Thursday, is part of a concerted push to assure that early business owners in the state’s projected billion-dollar marijuana industry will be members of communities that have been affected by the nation’s decades-long war on drugs.

Read the full article here (paywalled).

Wow this is cool. As someone who feels they did all the work for none of the payout, this makes me feel good. I remember the days of peaking through blinds and chopping down a whole crop before harvest just cuz the heat got turned up. Then soon as legalization hit all these yuppy fucks wanna act like they been doing this since Day 1, like they’re “bad” cuz they’re growing a semi legal plant. It’s why I cant stand talking to most growers these days, quite the pretentious bunch.

-GC

Last edited:
does the charge have to come from NY? i have one from NJ

i cant get around that paywall either.... :unsure:

those are the guys making the money - the store owners - that's the way to go

i got my guys looking into it....

real quick tho - anytime you see any of these licenses pop up for sale from the state you live in, whether they're for growing, processing, or retail, look into what the deal is and i'll tell you why

back in 2014 when they were selling those licenses here, i had a few friends who bought them, and they said that you couldn't re-sell them, but then they changed there mind on that and let ppl sell them because there was only so many - so those friends never even used those licenses, and they originally paid only $500 for them, and then they sold them a year or 2 later for $60,000+

so don't pass up those opportunities like i did

does the charge have to come from NY? i have one from NJ

excerpt from ny govt website:

(a) Individuals from communities disproportionately impacted by the enforcement of cannabis prohibition.

• The Cannabis Control Board will issue guidelines to determine how to assess which
communities have been disproportionately impacted and how to assess if someone is a member of a community disproportionately impacted.

• “Communities disproportionately impacted” means, but is not limited to, a history of arrests, convictions, and other law enforcement practices in a certain geographic area, such as, but not limited to, precincts, zip codes, neighborhoods, and political subdivisions, reflecting a disparate enforcement of cannabis prohibition during a certain time period, when compared to the rest of the state.

… so yeah you may be out of luck. it does say ‘not limited to’ so i don’t think it’s entirely out of the question. but i bet there are many more new york residents with charges who will be prioritized before someone like you with an out of state charge.

good point about the license reselling though, if/when ohio goes legal i’ll be looking into it myself.

this video touches on this subject, pretty informative, legal weed and how it's being expanded

specifically mentions weed in New York and who is starting up

This is extremely strange. I mean, I don't think weed or weed convictions is/should be a big deal and I get the affirmative action aspect, but to require a criminal history is a very perverse incentive.
it's like "Looking for sperm donors, so first in line should be the guys who wank in the park since they clearly have an affinity for getting it done."

it is stupid

in WA state, you had to have a clean record to get a license, which i just so happen to have - but ya know why i didn't apply for one? because i didn't want them to even know about me
spy.gif

<---- genius

This is extremely strange. I mean, I don't think weed or weed convictions is/should be a big deal and I get the affirmative action aspect, but to require a criminal history is a very perverse incentive.
it's like "Looking for sperm donors, so first in line should be the guys who wank in the park since they clearly have an affinity for getting it done."

Not sure the analogy sticks. Growers before legalization were doing gods work and being persecuted for it, not sure a public wank falls under the same category ;)

Also its about past convictions, so no real “incentive” more just trying to make right a lot of wrongs. I don’t think many growers back in the day copped charges with the intent to one day be grandfathered in on this law.

Legalization is all fucked up to begin with but that’s a whole other issue.

-GC