• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New Study Finds That Rap Music Drives You To Drink and Do Drugs

death4funandprofit said:
to be honest, i never really paid any mind to drug referances in songs, until i started doing drugs

Word. I never truly understood the meaning of "Ice, Ice, Baby" until just recently.

common sense?

8o this is simple yet complex. i hate to assume things, i only work for the truth. people gravitate to what is popular and available. we are BOMBARDED with labels, behaviors, messages, rules, restrictions since the second you come out of your mom. it's like going to get food, you can get what the "commoner" gets, mcdonalds, that is rock/rap, or go to a restaurant and get healthier, better, and concsious food. amerrica is all about suicidal "c"rock and homicidal "c"rap. too many people come from bad families, places, and situations. and those people hurt themselves, and others. with drugs, alchohol, and violence. we don't know how to deal with problems as a society, we blame others. no responsiblity and integrity. look at enron, the bush administration, and the church scandals. there is no integrity and ethics. people lack educations, positive influences. missery loves company and sells alot of guns, reality TV, rap, insurance, emo, and tabloids. too many people live blind and deaf. it is information overload, PEOPLE ARE CONTROLLED LIKE PUPPETS. we worry about the freedom of speach, how about the freedom and ability to think that is soooooooo undervalued and used. don't get me wrong, i grew up on hip hop in the projects around boston mass, moved to alternative in high school, and now graduated to ONLY electronic music as a rational, educated, and aware young adult. i still love those other styles, along with classical, world, etc., but electronic music has it all, among it genres, and there is no negative messages, just postive vibes and beats. i personaly dislike lyrics, it's all been said and done before. if i want lyrics, i'll read poetry or the works of a self help guru. too many people are story tellers! i know a quote that said basically, "it's the fanatical and extremist (like terrorists/preachers/car salesmen) people that are too certain of themselves, who are wrong, and the good and right people doubt themselves (scientists checking their work over and over verifying) that are quiet in this world". Hence the crazy world leaders who are dellusional and too certain of everything, that turn out to be always wrong, i.e. hitler, sadam hussain. So the louder and more story telling the person, like Bush, the less credible, but more purssuaisive. i want to listen to beats, melodies, flows, not some guy complaining about his girlfriend or some guy about his gold rims or guns. america is a paranoid, self abusing, ignorant, and blind country. unlike europe or canada where people are more culturally aware and tolerant. it's complex sociological, psychological, economical, and political issues that are behind it. like everything else in america, commercial rap/rock is a dellusional cult that is self gratifying and fixated on short term happiness and is shallow. programming millions of young people for the rest of their lives to live closed minded lives of brain washism. enough said, this was not meant to insult, just inform. like i said, i only work for the truth, which, unlike fads, and opinions, is constant and proveable. damn, i'm a horrible speller. people are drones. when is the wake up call?

but there is hope, not everyone is brainwashed. and just like religion, and mercury, that were drilled into our bodies when we were younger, they can be eliminated as an adult as a concsious choice. life is, what you make of it.

talk about a tangent! 8(

madmaxre said:
8o this is simple yet complex. i hate to assume things, i only work for the truth. people gravitate to what is popular and available. we are BOMBARDED with labels, behaviors, messages, rules, restrictions since the second you come out of your mom. it's like going to get food, you can get what the "commoner" gets, mcdonalds, that is rock/rap, or go to a restaurant and get healthier, better, and concsious food. amerrica is all about suicidal "c"rock and homicidal "c"rap. too many people come from bad families, places, and situations. and those people hurt themselves, and others. with drugs, alchohol, and violence. we don't know how to deal with problems as a society, we blame others. no responsiblity and integrity. look at enron, the bush administration, and the church scandals. there is no integrity and ethics. people lack educations, positive influences. missery loves company and sells alot of guns, reality TV, rap, insurance, emo, and tabloids. too many people live blind and deaf. it is information overload, PEOPLE ARE CONTROLLED LIKE PUPPETS. we worry about the freedom of speach, how about the freedom and ability to think that is soooooooo undervalued and used. don't get me wrong, i grew up on hip hop in the projects around boston mass, moved to alternative in high school, and now graduated to ONLY electronic music as a rational, educated, and aware young adult. i still love those other styles, along with classical, world, etc., but electronic music has it all, among it genres, and there is no negative messages, just postive vibes and beats. i personaly dislike lyrics, it's all been said and done before. if i want lyrics, i'll read poetry or the works of a self help guru. too many people are story tellers! i know a quote that said basically, "it's the fanatical and extremist (like terrorists/preachers/car salesmen) people that are too certain of themselves, who are wrong, and the good and right people doubt themselves (scientists checking their work over and over verifying) that are quiet in this world". Hence the crazy world leaders who are dellusional and too certain of everything, that turn out to be always wrong, i.e. hitler, sadam hussain. So the louder and more story telling the person, like Bush, the less credible, but more purssuaisive. i want to listen to beats, melodies, flows, not some guy complaining about his girlfriend or some guy about his gold rims or guns. america is a paranoid, self abusing, ignorant, and blind country. unlike europe or canada where people are more culturally aware and tolerant. it's complex sociological, psychological, economical, and political issues that are behind it. like everything else in america, commercial rap/rock is a dellusional cult that is self gratifying and fixated on short term happiness and is shallow. programming millions of young people for the rest of their lives to live closed minded lives of brain washism. enough said, this was not meant to insult, just inform. like i said, i only work for the truth, which, unlike fads, and opinions, is constant and proveable. damn, i'm a horrible speller. people are drones. when is the wake up call?

but there is hope, not everyone is brainwashed. and just like religion, and mercury, that were drilled into our bodies when we were younger, they can be eliminated as an adult as a concsious choice. life is, what you make of it.

talk about a tangent! 8(

paragraphs are your friend and that is a clusterfuck.

organize that, yo!

Point taken ol' chap, but Another lovely example of how people are fixated on how something is said or done, instead of focusing on WHAT IS BEING SAID.

:|

I despised English class, but I learned much more in Semantics class, which tought me exactlly that. Focus on the message, not the delivery.

Somewhere in America, a jackass English teacher taking their job religiously is oppressing and discouraging a genius mind that could be a brilliant poet or breakthrough scientist in the future, by focusing on the grammar or spelling, when really the idea and creativity counts.

:p

Yeah but this isn't creative writing. :p
I followed your post for a little bit but eventually it became too tiresome to read. How something is said/presented is extremely important. It doesn't matter what the fuck you're saying if nobody is going to take in what the fuck you're saying. How something is presented will change how people take it. Simple as that really.

Edit: 'Spose I should be on topic...study is stupid as hell, as others have said. Holy shit, people who listen to music about drugs and alcohol take drugs and alcohol? Wait, no, wait, you gotta be kidding me. I dunno guys. I don't think I can wrap my head around this one.

I'll echo whoever said before I did drugs I never really paid attention to drug references in songs. I mean some songs are basically about drugs and you can't avoid those, but references thrown in in a verse were pretty much looked over until I started using.

[edit: off-topic ranting and shit-talking - ff]

Last edited by a moderator:
Does rap music cause some people to act violently/take drugs?.....yes.

Sure it's mostly just correlation, but there is obviously some causation there too.

A survey of over 1,000 community college students showed that rap was continually linked to alcohol use, potential alcohol use, drug use and aggressive behavior. Alcohol and drug use were also linked to techno and reggae music. The results were reportedly not affected by the students' gender or ethnicity.

i think that's nobel prize material right there.

reggae - and drug use??? who would possibly have thought there might be a connection?

whoever they are, this fearless Warrior of the Obvious ought to set about demonstrating the relative Catholocity of the papacy 8)

I guess those who appreciate jazz music use heroin... Correlation does NOT equal causation. Rap music is a product of poverty, where drug use and sales are rampant.

This is why we need to reinstitute psychedelic rock. Fuck aggression, fuck alcohol, just lots and lots of LSD. Ohhhhhhh yeeeeeeeeah.

If Killa Cam endorses liquour or makes a new kind, I'm coping it. That's all I gotta say.

Thought i'd throw this in

PHRASE ABOUT MY GUN
WHAT?!
RHYME ABOUT MY LOOT
WHAT?!
PHRASE ABOUT THESE HATERS, I SOMETIMES HAVE TO SHOOT
RHYME ABOUT MY CLOTHES
WHAT?!
PROPS TO MY HOMETOWN
LYRICS THAT SAY NOTHING BECAUSE THAT'S HOW WE GET
DOWN
YEAAAH!
PHRASE ABOUT MY CLIQUE
YEAAAH!
DON'T STEP TO ME PUNK
WHAT?!
GRATUITOUS RHYME ABOUT KEEPING IT CRUNK
YEAAAH!
GENERIC CRUNK RAP
WHAT?!
GENERIC CRUNK RAP
YEAAAH!
GENERIC CRUNK RAP I GOTTA RHYME ABOUT HOW I DO DRUGS AROUND TOWN
WHAT?!
GENERIC CRUNK RAP, WE DON'T MESS AROUND
YEAH!!

madmaxre said:
Point taken ol' chap, but Another lovely example of how people are fixated on how something is said or done, instead of focusing on WHAT IS BEING SAID.

It's hard to figure out what the message is if it's not presented in a manner in which people can understand it. Plus, you state things as this is the way it is. I agree with some of the points, but not all of what was written.

college_dropout said:
This study is a complete waste of time. I think everyone already knows that certain music genres are linked to certain drugs. And I don't get how lyrics are driving people to use drugs when so many people take xtc and k when listening to electronic music that have no lyrics.

Exactly. What a fucking waste of money. We're wasting our goddam money on stupid shit like this while we all live impoverished lives. I can't believe such a thing actually got funded :p