• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

"New street drug claims life in SA" (MDPV)

RaveOne

Bluelighter
its been on the radio in adelaide all day

heres the article......(mods delete my other post about it if you wish)

New street drug claims a life in

A 40-year-old South Australian man has died after overdosing on a new street drug, sparking police fears that the substance will claim more lives.

Police say methylenedioxypyrovalerone, or MDPV, has emerged on the local drug scene in the past few weeks and has already been responsible for a number of overdoses, with some users experiencing severe psychotic episodes.

MDPV is being sold on the streets as a cheaper form of amphetamines, but according to Detective Superintendent Des Bray, it is much more potent, with some unusual effects.

Supt Bray said on Thursday that as users begin to come down from the drug, they are often overcome by the urge to take another dose, increasing the chance of an overdose or adverse reaction.

Some users have also engaged in bizarre behaviour, including ripping at their skin after hallucinating that they are covered in spiders or insects, or running around on rooftops.

On the street the drug is often referred to as Scat Cat, 666 or Meow-Meow.

The South Australian man, who died in December, came from Murray Bridge, east of Adelaide. Police say that area appears to be a hotspot for MDPV distribution.

There have been about 30 seizures of the drug in SA in recent weeks, mostly around Murray Bridge but also across Adelaide.

In each case, only small amounts were found.

No one has been caught trafficking or dealing in the drug, which sells for 60 to 75 per cent of the usual price of amphetamines.

Police are unsure if MDPV on the streets is being manufactured locally or has been sourced from interstate or overseas.

"A lot of amphetamine users have said that, having used MDPV and with the effects on them, that they would not use it again," Supt Bray said.

"But that doesn't help the other drug users out there who are likely to consider it as a cheap alternative to amphetamines.

"A packet of white powder in this hand and a packet of white powder in the other hand. What are they? You don't know.

"You're accepting what a stranger has told you. You've got no idea where they've come from, you've got no idea what's in them. I think you'd be crazy to consider it."

He said the short-term effects of MDPV include rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, nausea, stomach cramps, digestive problems, increased body temperature, chills, sweating, headaches and dizziness.

More severe effects can include paranoia, confusion, psychotic delusions, violent behaviour and suicidal thoughts.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8398709/new-drug-causing-concern-in-adelaide

I know its old news, They just said on tv "also known as skat-cat, tripple 6 and meow-meow"

WTF where do they get these names? And meow meow bout time they gave that one a break yeah?

Police say methylenedioxypyrovalerone, or MDPV, has emerged on the local drug scene in the past few weeks and has already been responsible for a number of overdoses

as usual, when it comes to reporting about drugs, what journalists don't know (or don't care to know) they just embellish, or totally make up.
condolences to this guy's friends and family. another victim of the war on drugs.

its like when parents try to pick trends with toys "oh that kid's using a yo-yo they must be making a comeback"

suddenly an idiot takes way too much of an RC and its the hottest drug on the scene :|

^ exactly! i would have thought that MDPV was old hat, and that most of the RC using community had all but written the stuff off as unpleasant and dangerous. it is quite fascinating however to observe how long it takes legislators to respond to new drugs and specifically ban them.

that article was utter rubbish, it seems western media is just getting worse and worse. At the moment the media have no accountability for what they publish, and can get away with infomation that is made up and not true, or should i say propaganda, cos thats all western media is now, propaganda for who ever is offering the highest payment. media need to be responsible and held accountable for articles they publish if its found to be made up.

^ traditional media is in the decline, we are witnessing its death throes. good riddance!

the companies are multinational, single-perspective corporations that are always 'on message'. you never see conflicting perspectives in corporate media, there is consistency in the ideology (all pro-materialist, socially conservative, unwilling to even mention dissent on issues like drug law reform).
more than relaying events to the public, they twist messages to fit their propaganda. fear breeds conservatism, and sensationalism sells papers.
on top of the bullshit agendas, the media corporations are struggling financially in the internet age, thus less money and effort is put into quality investigative journalism. it's all rushed deadlines, copied articles, short-cuts, laziness and bullshit.

i boycott the trash.
read around, there are plenty of better ways to get informed. paying rupert murdoch and his fascist cronies doesn't help (or inform) anyone. fuck em.

Spacejunk, you worded that perfectly! Spot on, hit the nail on the head, bullseye.

Well said Spacejunk, I stopped buying newspapers 12 months ago and I'm better informed now than ever!

Whilst the article was rubbish the comments of the Superintendant are generally well informed and accurate and not particularly over the top. That is pretty rare. Probably because the scaremongering with this drug is actually genuinely correct.

It just infuriates me to no end, that there is NEVER any mention whatsoever, they don't even bother entertain the possibility that it's the person fault and not the drugs fault.

It's literally the same as if someone was shot in America, and the media started going "Shocking! Dangerous new popular gun found in America tonight"
As if it's the glocks fault someone got shot.

Not only is it irresponsible journalism, and being a media student DO NOT get me started on that shit, it's pretty much the logic of a child and perpetuates this lack of personal responsibility that is causing half the fucking problem!!

It just infuriates me to no end, that there is NEVER any mention whatsoever, they don't even bother entertain the possibility that it's the person fault and not the drugs fault.

It's literally the same as if someone was shot in America, and the media started going "Shocking! Dangerous new popular gun found in America tonight"
As if it's the glocks fault someone got shot.

Not only is it irresponsible journalism, and being a media student DO NOT get me started on that shit, it's pretty much the logic of a child and perpetuates this lack of personal responsibility that is causing half the fucking problem!!
i agree that personal responsibility is not given enough credit nowadays, but there are some times that the substance itself is actually likely cause harm.
yes, we've all become cynical about drug warnings, drug propaganda - but that's not to say that some substances aren't dangerous.
obviously all the crap they've said for 80 odd years about cannabis has been exaggerated and made up. the same can be said about LSD, MDMA - any number of drugs. all of the popular illicit substances are classed as "very dangerous" according to what our governments tell us, yet a lot of us use (or know people that use) without robbing banks or going on killing frenzies.

it is very much like 'the boy who cried wolf' - because when something comes along that is compulsively addictive, causes psychosis and weird physical and mental disturbances, people hear that and say "yeah, sure. that's what they said about all those other drugs" and dismiss it.
while people going on about drugs being "evil" or "bad" or whatever isn't helpful or logical, it seems a bit foolhardy to be so trusting of research chemicals that are not extensively tested (if at all) and are making the rounds on the black market.
i read heaps of nightmarish bluelight reports about MDPV in the last couple of years - enough to decide i didn't want to try it. sure, some people might have liked it at first, but pretty much everyone said it was dangerous and had a lot of potential for harm. it tends to cause psychosis in otherwise healthy people very quickly, not to mention putting a lot of strain on your heart.

i used to enjoy meth, but eventually the bad outweighed the good - so i stopped. i was lucky, and i made that choice (as do all drug users, one way or another) and i got out, but i think what you're arguing (it's not the drug's fault - it's the individual's) could also be extended to put the blame on people for their addictions and the desperate places they can take them to. or blaming people for the psychological issues that can arise when you mess around with these kind of stimulants.

drugs are dangerous. this one in particular. yes, we are all jaded about 'drugs are bad' propaganda - but sometimes it is true.
people are responsible for their own actions, but with a practically unknown drug (for the vast majority of the community, at least) they can only make informed decisions when they have access to the information.

irresponsible journalism? i don't know about that.
yes, it's a lousy article, badly researched and likely thrown together very quickly. but if MDPV doesn't count as a dangerous drug, then i don't know what is. strychnine, i suppose?

irresponsible journalism? i don't know about that.
yes, it's a lousy article, badly researched and likely thrown together very quickly. but if MDPV doesn't count as a dangerous drug, then i don't know what is. strychnine, i suppose?

I agree, this one should have never left the laboratory, but, it is the hand that feeds the mouth and personal responsibility gets looked over all too often IMO

I used to try everything once, but anything that gives an instant reward like MDPV, with those side effects, is now off of my bucket list. It took MDPV to change me, so I guess I have to thank this chemical for something 8)

I love reading these articles... "MDPV, has emerged on the local drug scene in the past few weeks " hahaha I was doofing my titties off on MDPV in 2008 and it was showing up all over Aus at that time, as, it was being cut 90%+ and passed off as speed. A simple google search would have brought up threads about use of this substance in Aus dating back some years. I saw many people try it for the first time and the first reaction was "this is the shit that is being sold as speed in my home town!".

I'm used to journalists making an abortion of drug news so nothing has changed...

However you look at this incident, i simply cannot and will not accept that MDPV was the sole cause of death here. I would bet money that there are other contributing factors such as other illicit substances or prescription meds, previous or present medical issues, or even current state of physical health that are more to blame here, but once again they have found the easy target and blamed that.

MDPV is quite safe and surprisingly easy on the body, excluding the short term mental issues that some people experience. It has also been around long enough now without any extremely serious long term issues. Speaking from experience, MDPV is one of the safest drugs i have used for a lengthy period with absolutely zero negative side effects, and i have most definitely pushed it past levels most people do, whilst also being able to use it at a level that is very useful in everyday life.

There are actually many beneficial factors both mentally and physically that one can gain from PV when used responsibly and when combined with a little knowledge, experience and respect. Personally it has changed my whole outlook on life and has increased my confidence so much regarding many of my opinions and values that i feel like a new person and can actually have a positive and happy outlook at life now. Previously i was extremely insecure, and not confident of my actions and decisions and had a dull outlook on life and the future. I have also seen quite a few others that have used it regularly and gained positive things from it similar to myself.

Granted, it's not everyone's cup of tea but most people use it irresponsibly and lack the care factor and experience to give it the respect it needs. It is also not a substance that should be used to gain an typical high from unless you can appreciate what it gives, and people should not be using it for that reason. there are many other things to use for the type of high that is more commonly looked for by most people.

Thus, resulting in yet another very useful substance becoming frowned upon and scheduled because of a few idiots that can't handle their shit and don't deserve the right to use such substances in the first place.

With all due respects to the family and those involved, i'm sure we will hear no more of this isolated incident though, or the other contributing factors responsible. It's too easy to blame the lesser known substance to be able to use it for public scaremongering and pathetic media hype.

Last edited:
Party drug MDPV found in regional WA

Party drug MDPV found in regional WA

A dangerous party drug that may be sold as ecstasy or cocaine has been seized in regional Western Australia.

Police say drugs from Busselton and Karratha were among 10 samples across the state that tested positive for MDPV.

The drug has been linked to a number of fatal overdoses in eastern states.

Police are warning people with any illicit drugs to destroy them.​

here

Drug warning - mdpv

DRUG WARNING - MDPV

Police are warning the community about a dangerous substance that may be being sold in Western Australia to drug users seeking Methylamphetamine.

The substance, 3,4-Methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV), is typically sold in the form of a fine, lightly clumping powder, either white or off-white in appearance.
The first positive sample result in Western Australia was in January 2011, but that has now risen to 25 samples that have returned a positive result for MDPV. Ten WA Police seizures accounted for 24 of the 25 samples.

The substance has been linked to an increase in drug induced casualties in hospitals in the eastern states, including reported fatal overdoses in South Australia and Victoria. There are concerns a similar trend could develop in Western Australia.

Under Commonwealth legislation it is illegal to import MDPV and later this year it is expected to be covered under the Poisons Act.

MDPV is reported to produce effects similar to those of Cocaine and Amphetamines and may be sold without the user knowing they are taking a different substance. Anyone in possession of such substances is advised to avoid taking the drugs and to destroy them immediately.

Police ask anyone with information regarding the manufacture, importation or distribution of any drugs to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Ends release.​

screenshot20120114at806.png

here

The drug has been linked to a number of fatal overdoses in eastern states.

wtf, just the other day they were saying 1 death in sa and now this?

Last edited: