• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids New member with curious question regarding CWE.

viddywell

Greenlighter
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster :)
In regards to a CWE of panafen plus (12.8mg codeine, 200mg ibuprofen).
After making a batch, depending on the amount I make, how long will it stay good to drink if left in the fridge?
And another more scientific question: Who figured out that the white gunk left in the filter paper is more so the binders than the codeine itself?
Ive always wondered how exactly and why it is mostly codeine that seeps through the filter paper and the binders such as the ibuprofen/paracetamol are the ones that get stuck in the paper?

Hope I posted this thread in the right spot.

Hey! Welcome to BL! :)

I'll be happily corrected on this by others, but:

1) If it's extracted properly, it'll stay good for a long, long time if left in the fridge. I don't see why it wouldn't be good to drink after even a few months.

2 & 3) I think the answer to this covers both of your questions. It's to do with the fact that codeine has the ability to dissolve in water at cold temperatures, whilst the Acetaminophen/Paracetamol/Ibuprofen can only dissolve in water at higher temperatures. Hence 'Cold Water Extraction'

I hope that helps somewhat? Feel free to nudge me on anything else you're unsure of?

The reason the binders/NSAIDs/inactive gunk ends up in the filter is that in cold water, codeine is far more soluable than the other pill constituents (the ibuprofen/paracetamol/aspirin and inactives) so a coffee filter will separate the "gunk" from the "junk".

Are you Australian, droog? ;)
If so, this thread has a ton of related information and discussion.

Edit - looks like Rybee beat me to it!
I would also like to extend to you a welcome to BL.

Hey! Welcome to BL! :)

I'll be happily corrected on this by others, but:

1) If it's extracted properly, it'll stay good for a long, long time if left in the fridge. I don't see why it wouldn't be good to drink after even a few months.

2 & 3) I think the answer to this covers both of your questions. It's to do with the fact that codeine has the ability to dissolve in water at cold temperatures, whilst the Acetaminophen/Paracetamol/Ibuprofen can only dissolve in water at higher temperatures. Hence 'Cold Water Extraction'

I hope that helps somewhat? Feel free to nudge me on anything else you're unsure of?

That helps a bunch, Rybee.
I know traditional methods state you should pour the mix into icecube trays, but I saw an example where a user just poured the whole lot into a plastic cup and left it in the freezer for about 20 minutes, me being a little lazy naturally I prefer the idea of the one cup. Can you see any issue with this?

yarbles!! a fellow droog ofcourse ;) and yes an Australian one :) Rybee may have beat you to it but I appreciate all the help I can get.
I did a quick CWE a few months ago but was a little short of time so I didnt really leave it in the freezer for that long, and also when I had the filter sitting in the cup, as I poured it in, the filter collapsed a little so I got a bit of the gunk in there :(
Ill be home alone for the next week so I plan on trying it again and hopefully some poppy seed tea, hopefully Ill have better luck this time :)

And a bit of the old moloko plus? Welly-welly-welly-welly-well...
All horrorshow like, having malchicks like you around, o my brother :)

There are some really good tips on the first page of the link in my post above (if you have filter hassles, I'd refilter it - it's hard to know exactly how much ibu/para you're consuming, and each has their own risks associated with taking too much).
Some folks prefer to use chilled water than putting the whole lot in the freezer. There are lots of ways people approach doing a CWE though.

Bedways is rightways now...

I don't know much about Aussie pharmaceuticals, in the UK we don't have Ibuprofen+Codeine available over the counter, just Paracetamol+Codeine. Do you call it Paracetamol or Acetaminophen down there?

What is the ratio of Ibuprofen/Codeine in the tablets that you are using? I've never used the Ibuprofen/Codeine mix, so at a guess... I'm guessing 200mg Ibuprofen + 8mg Codeine???

And also, how much Codeine are you ingesting in each dose? i.e. how many pills are you crushing to make one mix?

Unless you're using a very high number of pills... I'd take the time to be very methodical, use water at ~2-3°C with triple filters etc... If not, just putting the cup in the freezer is fine. That's how I used to do it anyway.

We call it paracetamol in Australia.
Been a long time since I did a CWE, but there are various preparations, from 8mg to 15mg (I think?) codeine OTC.
The regulations are getting gradually more restrictive over here...gone are the days when you could buy a pack of 100 tablets with 10mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol.
I think you are right about the Ibuprofen dose being 200mg, but I don't remember using them very often. There is also dihydrocodeine available OTC in Australia, but only in a cough mixture with a shitload of sorbitol. Makes for some pretty uncomfortable gastrointestinal irritation if you drink enough of it to get a DHC buzz. Not worth it IMO, especially as it was always more difficult to purchase from pharmacists IME.

Some pharmacies record your details upon purchase, but I hear mixed reports on how common this is. I'm glad I don't rely on that shit any more - a fucking pain in the arse trying to visit a different chemist every time I bought some. Fuck that!

Last edited:
Been a long time since I did a CWE, but there are various preparations, from 8mg to 15mg (I think?) codeine OTC.
The regulations are getting gradually more restrictive over here...gone are the days when you could buy a pack of 100 tablets with 10mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol. Some pharmacies record your details upon purchase, but I hear mixed reports on how common this is. I'm glad I don't rely on that shit any more - a fucking pain in the arse trying to visit a different chemist every time I bought some. Fuck that!

Ah mate that sounds awful! We are limited to 2x28 500mg Paracetamol / 8mg Codeine tablets in any one purchase, so 448mg at one time, which I guess for people doing CWE is quite a reasonable amount. I think if you're doing more than 448mg of Codeine you'd be onto harder stuff. Though if you go to the self-service till you can buy as many as you want by doing it in multiple transactions.

Can't believe some places record your details! With all due respect... it's just a bit of Codeine... It's possibly the weakest opiate I know of!

You can bet your bottom dollar they don't record details of those buy packets of Cigarettes and bottles of Vodka and Cider, which are put on special offer cut-price promotions and specifically marketed to buyers to buy in bulk, i.e. buy 3 for the price of 2...!

Anyone with a rational mind can see how backwards drug enforcement laws are.

^ very true. As yet there is no shared database of purchases between stores (that I am aware of) like there is with pseudoephedrine...but there may or may not be between franchise stores of the same chain (which is increasingly one of a couple of companies).
Like I say though, I been out of that game for quite some time.
I think the biggest risk with these pills is people not performing CWEs - especially frequent users.
HR is really important in such cases.

The regulations are getting gradually more restrictive over here...gone are the days when you could buy a pack of 100 tablets with 10mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol.
I think you are right about the Ibuprofen dose being 200mg, but I don't remember using them very often. There is also dihydrocodeine available OTC in Australia, but only in a cough mixture with a shitload of sorbitol. Makes for some pretty uncomfortable gastrointestinal irritation if you drink enough of it to get a DHC buzz. Not worth it IMO, especially as it was always more difficult to purchase from pharmacists IME.

Some pharmacies record your details upon purchase, but I hear mixed reports on how common this is. I'm glad I don't rely on that shit any more - a fucking pain in the arse trying to visit a different chemist every time I bought some. Fuck that!

Guys, sorry for the quick and rushed reply as I just through my mix in the freezer, 10 pills, and yeah they are 200mg ibup/ 12.8mg codeine, I shouldnt of tried it tonight as I dont have proper filter papers, just using cleaning paper towels that should trap the gunk anyway. Reason why it is stupid doing it tonight as I have ate like 8 pills this afternoon without CWE, so I am already packed with ibuprofen..
But I just had to try this CWE!
Also Droog, funny you mention the dihydrocodeine, I just bought a bottle of rikodeine the other day and I was scared as hell about the sorbitol giving me the runs.. It seemed to do the exact opposite as I was pretty constipated, talk about 1 in a million, right?

Well the CWE is in the freezer and I have the second cup and filters ready..
Do you guys think I should just toss it down the sink since Ive already got a fair bit of shite in my system and just take it as practice?

Can you get to a supermarket and buy coffee filters?
They're cheap as chips.

If not, I'd leave it in the freezer/fridge til tomorrow, and get some filters.
It's not worth risking your health.
Paper towel doesn't make a good filter.

^ very true. As yet there is no shared database of purchases between stores (that I am aware of) like there is with pseudoephedrine...but there may or may not be between franchise stores of the same chain (which is increasingly one of a couple of companies).
Like I say though, I been out of that game for quite some time.
I think the biggest risk with these pills is people not performing CWEs - especially frequent users.
HR is really important in such cases.
Excuse my naivety but... Pseudoephedrine? I've never heard of anyone abusing that here in the UK!? What's the effects?

Guys, sorry for the quick and rushed reply as I just through my mix in the freezer, 10 pills, and yeah they are 200mg ibup/ 12.8mg codeine, I shouldnt of tried it tonight as I dont have proper filter papers, just using cleaning paper towels that should trap the gunk anyway. Reason why it is stupid doing it tonight as I have ate like 8 pills this afternoon without CWE, so I am already packed with ibuprofen..
But I just had to try this CWE!
Also Droog, funny you mention the dihydrocodeine, I just bought a bottle of rikodeine the other day and I was scared as hell about the sorbitol giving me the runs.. It seemed to do the exact opposite as I was pretty constipated, talk about 1 in a million, right?

Well the CWE is in the freezer and I have the second cup and filters ready..
Do you guys think I should just toss it down the sink since Ive already got a fair bit of shite in my system and just take it as practice?
Yeah you should really watch your dosage, high amounts of Ibuprofen or any other NSAID can cause heartburn/indigestion or in higher doses or longer term use stomach ulcers and stomach bleeding.

I echo spacejunk re: papertowel, it really doesn't make a good filter at all. In the interest of harm reduction, I'd honestly tell you to wait and do it properly. It's really not worth damaging your stomach.

Like all opiates, DHC/Dihydrocodeine affects the smooth muscle movements in your colon so will cause constipation. It's why people use Loperamide for diarrhea.

Ah mate that sounds awful! We are limited to 2x28 500mg Paracetamol / 8mg Codeine tablets in any one purchase, so 448mg at one time, which I guess for people doing CWE is quite a reasonable amount. I think if you're doing more than 448mg of Codeine you'd be onto harder stuff. Though if you go to the self-service till you can buy as many as you want by doing it in multiple transactions.

Can't believe some places record your details! With all due respect... it's just a bit of Codeine... It's possibly the weakest opiate I know of!

You can bet your bottom dollar they don't record details of those buy packets of Cigarettes and bottles of Vodka and Cider, which are put on special offer cut-price promotions and specifically marketed to buyers to buy in bulk, i.e. buy 3 for the price of 2...!

Anyone with a rational mind can see how backwards drug enforcement laws are.

Hey at least you guys have OTC codiene! And DHC(which is actually underrated, oral BA is just 20%, so by any other route it would actually be moderately potent).

Here in the US, we got nothin'!!!?

America the free...

(Oh I forgot the topic).

Don't throw it away for god sakes, just save it for a rainy day. You can always refilter.

Alright guys, ill toss it down the sink, im not that desperate, much prefer healthy insides :) I am going to filter it atleast to see if I get the desired result in appearance.
I would leave it in the fridge but I think my parents will be onto me when they wake up and see it sitting there haha.

Goddamnit your not a minor are you???

I was never here! It was SWIM! Yeah, that guy. I'm from the midlands...

and it didnt come out crystal clear, but the first cup certainly had the gunk almost frozen and settled at the bottom, may have needed a few more minutes and proper filter paper.
oh well practice makes perfect :)

Hey at least you guys have OTC codiene! And DHC(which is actually underrated, oral BA is just 20%, so by any other route it would actually be moderately potent).

Here in the US, we got nothin'!!!��

America the free...

(Oh I forgot the topic).

Don't throw it away for god sakes, just save it for a rainy day. You can always refilter.

What do you mean by DHC is underrated?

I've always preferred DHC to Codeine, and used to buy 'Paramol' and do CWE with that. It has 7.46mg of DHC per 500mg of ACAP/Paracetamol. Knowing its poor oral bio-availability I actually used to administer it rectally. Bit weird the first few times but meh... doesn't particularly bother me.

Talking of which, the best high I've ever had was rectally administering a load of prescribed DHC tablets rectally... Gave me a massive rush that I've never achieved since with any opiate/opioid!

What do you mean by DHC is underrated?

I've always preferred DHC to Codeine, and used to buy 'Paramol' and do CWE with that. It has 7.46mg of DHC per 500mg of ACAP/Paracetamol. Knowing its poor oral bio-availability I actually used to administer it rectally. Bit weird the first few times but meh... doesn't particularly bother me.

Talking of which, the best high I've ever had was rectally administering a load of prescribed DHC tablets rectally... Gave me a massive rush that I've never achieved since with any opiate/opioid!

I did like DHC, I do seem to feel more of a warm fuzzy feeling from codeine though.
And I dont think DHC in tablet form is easily available in Aus, rikodeine seems to be the popular form here.
But I will be giving DHC another go shortly, I just want to master this codeine CWE. This one turned out to be too cloudy in the end :(