• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

New charges planned for drink/drug driving (VIC)

I don't disagree that someone driving intoxicated on both alcohol and drugs should face a harsher penalty than someone driving intoxicated on either one, that is pretty much common sense I reckon, however what I am a bit wary of what is going to fall into this category. I can't help but feel there is too much potential for someone who used some speed a couple days ago or smoked a spliff the night before who maybe had a wine or two with dinner blowing a touch over .05 (or .00 if you are on your P plates) on the way home and these laws beign enforced on them.

The problem with current drug testing is it does not actually prove intoxication, and I feel like this law sort of opens up a loophole where any drug user who is caught even slightly over the legal alcohol limit can then be drug tested, found to have drugs in their system and hit with a 12 month driving suspension. The punishment for driving intoxicated should reflect how intoxicated the person was while driving imo, logically it may seem like someone caught with drugs and alcohol in their system is more intoxicated but in practise it doesn't neccesarily pan out that way.

^ Yeah, that would suck.

I suppose being extremely careful with alcohol consumption + driving in the three or four days post drug use should keep you in the clear.

why fuck around, why not just make it one strike and your out, when caught drink, or drug, or both driving you can never drive again?

Punishing less? That's why we have a generation of kids who don't give a fuck. Slapped on the wrist their whole life. Deterrents won't stop them, but heavy fines will punish.

Heavy fines mean 3/5 of fuck all to me. Things like vastly inflated insurance premiums & criminal charges mean a lot more to me. Absolutely agree with a good portion of the youth not giving a fuck. Not that I was much different but I did know right from wrong & where I came up we learnt to fear police because they could & would load you up rather than give you a cup of tea & a chat.

These people have been punished their whole life. They need some help and compassion not more punishment and fear.

Who are "these people". If they are the same people I am thinking of then a .22 behind the ear would be a small mercy & act of compassion rather than continuing their suffering in this harsh cruel world.

I believe in fair penalties personally. Anything up to .10 should be considered low range with appropriate community based programmes made mandatory. Anything between 1.0-1.99 should be considered on it's merits such as if the person is a serial offender & anything over 2.0 should be jail time with no extenuating circumstances applied & no leniency shown. You will always have people who misjudge their drinks & it is harsh when they get caught at .055 or something silly like that.

why fuck around, why not just make it one strike and your out, when caught drink, or drug, or both driving you can never drive again?

Because the law is based in reality not fantasyland laugh. Being human allows us to make mistakes & if the law is right be suitably punished for our transgressions.

Who are "these people". If they are the same people I am thinking of then a .22 behind the ear would be a small mercy & act of compassion rather than continuing their suffering in this harsh cruel world.
ok, sure. talking about fantasyland steven..

I personally would never consider driving while intoxicated on alcohol over 2-3 drinks but as for drugs I have just depends on the drug. amount and how much sleep I have had. if its amphetamines I will risk driving as long as I havn't been awake for longer than around 24 hours. Ope's I would as long as I dont feel intoxicated or run a risk of nodding off as I do use at therapudic doses most of the time in this instace. as for THC not a chance under any circumstaces! Benzo's as I have such a high tollerance I will drive as long as I feel in control and fit to drive.

alcohol is a no no when it comes to driving with me as I have seen to many things go bad

anyone who gets behing the wheel either drunk or intoxicated to any degree at all with children in the car need to have there heads blown off with a 9mm hollow point. Enough said/

its not going to change a fucking thing. fucking ridiculous. tax the poor tax the poor.

so many paper pushers pushing paper and creating more stupid legislation and laws.

people are stupid!

This isn't a class war, as you said, people are stupid ;)
This punishes rich or poor people for stupid and dangerous behaviour. I say throw the book at them.

So you're telling me a well known politician or a judge gets pulled over and they get their license suspended for 12 months?

I remember when a politician here in Canberra got caught woefully over the limit driving about. Interesting consequences: Practically none.

I'm not jumping completely on board with laugh on this one, but I do think it's going to needlessly criminalise more people than it's going to deter and I'm not trying to excuse idiots either. If you're heavily intoxicated on anything don't get behind the wheel, but indeterminate drug tests aren't going to solve stupidity.

This isn't a class war, give me a break.. eyes rolling.

My salary is 500k pa
My bros salary is min wage
We both get fined the same amount of $

Who does it effect more?

It effects anyone stupid enough to drive with drugs in their system, regardless of wealth, duh.

Yeh sure thing

Have you ever had a look at the break down of wealth and distribution? Have a look and tell me there is no class warfare. Rhinehart earns more in a day than we would in a year. And you is telling me there is no class warfare. Ok sure il believe that.. I digress

Me driving my luxury import that writes a cheque on the spot and gets the pa to email the qc is affected the same as my bro on min wage.

Is it my pleb mentality or yours?

Lol

Last edited:
I'm not disputing that there's a class warfare, always has, always will, and the right are the worst for creating the divide. My point is, regardless of background these fines aren't discriminating.
I put it down to stupid judgement, sure someone of power may get a slap on the wrist, but in saying that, they may also be made an example of.
A sob story from someone less well off will will get a slap on the wrist if it's a once off too.

I just have no respect for people driving under the influence, so if you get caught, suck it up. Deadshits come from all walks of life :)

I have a very close personal friend who comes from a family of some of the richest people in Australia. She said the people are uber rich have a sense of entitlement and the ones she knows that have been done for d/d assume getting a barrister and the fact they're rich they'll get off with sweet f/a.
This is not the case :) They normally get the highest possible fines

I could go on, but it may become heated, and I really don't need someone playing mod god if they get cut at my comments lol

But as I said, get caught with a substance in your system while driving then suck it up :)

while agree with a lot of what you said
This is not the case They normally get the highest possible fines
that is bs. :) next you will be telling me they pay more tax too..
I could go on, but it may become heated,
please do. why does it have to become heated?
someone playing mod god
do you have an example to support this dog shot? :)
My point is, regardless of background these fines aren't discriminating.
yes they are.
My salary is 500k pa
My bros salary is min wage
We both get fined the same amount of $

Who does it effect more?

Last edited:
^ so do you propose people loose there licence for being too drunk to drive, no fine? Not having a go, just curious.

I can see where laugh is coming from, if your rich a fine won't mean as much due to your financial situation, but like rm2x mentioned, 'get caught with a substance in your system while driving and suck it up'. I'll say too, that laugh is right about more education or help for those that have a problem with it.

If I were rich, and I had a young 20-something year old son/daughter, regardless of the amount the fine is, I would still be pissed that they done it. And if I bought the car, they'd be using public transport, even though my rural town has none.

People shouldn't be driving drunk/ on drugs full stop. Maybe that's why I don't care about raising fines or cancelling licence's, fact is I won't do it. Yeah that's a bit selfish, but why should I back up people that are risking mine and other people's lives?

Last edited: