• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Need to do a short Oxycodone taper please help!!

Radtricks

Greenlighter
I've been taking Oxycodone for about a month following elbow surgery, I started with about 60mg for two weeks, and have jumped up to 100-110mgs for the last two weeks. I have 40 10 mg pills left and want to do a taper with them. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just go cold turkey? Thanks for any info I'm kind of freaking out

Do a rapid taper and look into the advice posted in the mega withdrawal thread here on BL. Others meds like benzos, gabapentin, Imodium, etc, can assist you in ceasing your use. Also even though you had high doses, since you've only been taking them a month, I would think it shouldn't be to bad for you-maybe just rough the first couple of days but very manageable.

If you can get comfort meds like the ones mentioned above and also clonidine, zofran, or even DXM, I'd do either a rapid taper or drop my dose gently and then just CT. It shouldn't be that bad after a month, probably nothing to even freak out over. It'll suck, but it'll be over within a few days and you'll probably start to feel better by day 3 or 4. Since you've only been using for a month, you probably won't get much PAWS if any at all. I CT'd like 4 or 5 times early into my opiate habit and it was never truly awful at first, especially with comfort meds. You'll be uncomfortable but you'll be fine (with comfort meds. You can do it either way but it's a lot worse without meds). It's not as bad as people say it is unless you're a long term user. If you don't have any good comfort meds, then just prepare to spend up to 3 days in bed during the worst of it. When I didn't have anything better, I'd just smoke a lot of weed or use some DXM to get through that initial phase. After that it gets better with each day.