Need some advice

Positive thoughts breed positive actions. It?s great that you see excessive drinking does in fact control you and ultimately can worsen your depression.

I hear Dubai is an amazing place.....

It must feel nice to know you are educated and smart enough to choose your next destination. Taking comfort in knowing employment should be relatively easy to find.

To be honest, some of the comments on here are making a big difference to me. It might seem like not much to you guys, but when I have nobody to speak to except my doctor - who only patronises me by telling me to stop drinking, eat healthily, and get more exercise, the comments are very helpful. When I have seen my doctor in the past, I walk out of the consultation knowing absolutely nothing new, they are useless. Doctors just want to prescribe something to make the problem go away, this is no help to me, nothing has worked at all in the past. I am hoping that this windfall comes through for me, without enough money to start afresh I will have no chance.

How soon are you hoping this windfall to present itself? Do you think it?s possible to have a back up plan in case? Kind of like build a bit of a nest egg so you can plan your future? Heck, translating documents on line from home is a thing. That could provide some income as well as allow you to rest/self care in your own dwelling. I am just scared if you wait for the money to come through and it does not, it will set you back. Making a bit of money and still thinking that the windfall could come through would give you a level of comfort.
Here we have on line/ in person employment offices that help connect you with the type of work you are looking for. Not sure how it is where you are.

Also- I don?t take any of this as not a big deal. You are a human being and you matter!!!

Last edited:
I know you have nothing right now. I was wondering about some online translation work or something along those lines.

Well, I was wrong when I said that I had no income. I do some writing work from time to time, very small money, but maybe something I can build on. Having work that I can do in my own time, and at my own pace, is much better than having to work all day in a work environment full of people that stress me out. Barely a minute goes by right now when I don't think about grabbing my coat and shoes and going out to get some extra strong cider. If I could quit alcohol for good, I know there is a much better chance of me transitioning into a more meaningful existence which would almost certainly improve my depression, but living life without a drink just seems so totally incomprehensible to me. I don't think my attitude on that matter will ever change, it's far too deeply ingrained into me.

I feel that I am almost certainly condemned to a lifelong battle with alcohol, with in turn makes me realise that that is no proper kind of existence. Before I started drinking heavily, my autism was very crippling, alcohol allowed me to become more normal socially, and so it's use became heavily ingrained into everything that I did.

So it's because of the autism that I became addicted to alcohol. And heavy lifelong abuse of alcohol caused me to become depressed, at least that's how I am seeing it right now. I was a high-functioning alcoholic, able to hold down a job. However, that perpetuated the illusion that I was not an alcoholic, so if anything was actually harmful to me as it prevented me from seeking help earlier. There is definitely no easy way out of this.

Last edited:
It's called self medication and you're definitely not alone. I can say from experience it helped at first, but then brought along its own onslaught of problems. I bet if you could just go say a month without drinking you'd be able to start getting a different perspective. That's what it basically took for me.

Just being able to talk about my issues, and actually have someone listen and understand is going to help me so much.

There's definitely a huge stigma around alcoholism, if people knew that I had been waking up at 6am and opening a bottle of wine, I would surely be castigated for it. But, for a fairly long time now, that has been all that I knew about how to deal with my shitty day and my terrible life. The thing that is always in the back of my mind, is that 20 years of drinking may have irreversibly damaged my organs, then I'm going to die soon anyway, so there really is no point in going through the anguish of abstaining from alcohol, which has been a friend who has always been there to make me feel better.

If that is the case, then I may as well just carry on drinking, which would be a lot easier and more enjoyable. I'm never going to have a decent career or own my own house. Getting sober only to still end up penniless and homeless seems a bit stupid.

To give you an idea of how much I was drinking, in the last few months I have woken up on a building site, in a neighbour's garden, and I have to leave my rear entrance unlocked at all times in case I venture out without my keys when drunk. A new pair of trainers appeared in my porch lately, I don't know whose they are or where they came from. Last week I shaved my head whilst drunk, so now have to wear a hat if I go out because I look like a thug. This is just some of crap I have to deal with, years ago this stuff was disconcerting, but now I just assume that I did or said something stupid last night. I'm so glad I sold my car a few years ago, if I had hurt someone it would have been a major disaster.

Last edited:
I don?t think that is the case. I think you have time for your body to repair itself. The body is pretty amazing. I think it is the mind that takes much more time.

This writing that you currently do sounds encouraging. Why kind of writing do you do?

I write any kind of articles, things like travel, cookery, medical articles, historical pieces, they get published on websites, blogs, newspapers etc.

I have written about 60 articles in the last 9 months, but only get a paltry amount for each one. Between $5 and $70. Some weeks I might get 4-5 jobs. Some weeks nothing.

Last edited:
So a writer, well versed across many areas of interest, smart, multilingual to boot. Pretty sure there would be room to expand.

I would love to be paid to travel and then write about my experiences.

To be honest, it wouldn't make much difference what skills or qualifications I had under my belt, with my state of mind I can only focus on the negatives. I am unable to work, and don't have much money left at all, and now am suffering physically. Not sure how many days it has been now because I can never sleep without alcohol, maybe 3-4? That is the most positive thing right now, I just hope I can get into a healthier pattern of thinking. If not, I will certainly be homeless before the end of the year, and then I will be screwed. Where I live homeless people are very stigmatised and there is very, very little help given to them - they almost always end up with severe substance abuse issues and many die in the winter months.

It?s pretty bad here as well, with stigma against homeless folks.
I hope you are really pumped about your 4 days sobriety- that is a really big deal. I can?t think of a more positive thing today! Can you take any comfort meds to help you? Tylenol 1 (OTC here) for aches and pains. Maybe some sleep aid to get some sleep? You know how important sleep is on your body and mental state.

I know you say you can only focus on negatives but even from the other side of this keyboard, I see loads of good things!
- 4 days sober
- know what the issue is and it?s impact. Understands the need to get into a healthier pattern of thinking.
-currently writes articles with room for growth while recovering
-have folks to talk to daily, about anything and everything
-smart, articulate, well educated, multilingual
-aside from the issues alcohol has caused you physically, assuming you are in relatively good shape
-desire to move and start fresh as a long term goal

I think I could go on and on.....

Not sure how many days it has been now because I can never sleep without alcohol, maybe 3-4? That is the most positive thing right now, I just hope I can get into a healthier pattern of thinking.

It'll get better the longer you go once you get through the initial withdrawals. Keep it up and be patient with yourself!

To be honest, it wouldn't make much difference what skills or qualifications I had under my belt, with my state of mind I can only focus on the negatives. I am unable to work, and don't have much money left at all, and now am suffering physically. Not sure how many days it has been now because I can never sleep without alcohol, maybe 3-4? That is the most positive thing right now, I just hope I can get into a healthier pattern of thinking. If not, I will certainly be homeless before the end of the year, and then I will be screwed. Where I live homeless people are very stigmatised and there is very, very little help given to them - they almost always end up with severe substance abuse issues and many die in the winter months.

When you consider the negative impacts drinking has on sleep, getting 3-4 hours of sober sleep is probably just as effective if not better than 6-8 hrs of drunken sleep. Here is a pretty cool podcast where Joe Rogan talks to a sleep expert, Matthew Walker. It's pretty informative, he talks about healthy sleep habits as well as habits that have negative impact on sleep.

With as long as you have been drinking, it will probably take at least a month before your sleep schedule starts to look "normal". It's difficult to push through the first few days and weeks when you feel exhausted and restless at the same time. Keep in mind that your body will adjust to whatever your current habits are, so if you have healthy habits your body will eventually adjust to them.

Try to use that fear of homelessness to motivate you into monetizing some of those skills you have. You mention you are both bi-lingual and a good writer. Those two skills alone should be enough skill to keep you from being homeless, even if it means you are working a register as a sales clerk. There are also manual labor jobs that don't require any skill if you are in desperate need of money. Apply at temp agencies and check with the local unemployment department for leads on work. Set goals for financial stability and take the steps to reach them.

Probably the biggest thing that will change your mindset is getting out of isolation, and getting involved in a group of supportive people. AA and other support groups has helped a lot of people accomplish this. There will always be people judging you for the decisions you make. Concern yourself with those that want to see you succeed, not those that want to watch you fail. Usually failures want others to fail, so what good is their opinion anyways. Don't get caught up in the negativity. Find positive people and get caught up in the positivity.

There are some steps you can take to change your mindset on your own, as well. Practicing mindfulness is something I think everyone should take the time to do. It's easy to let your thoughts and feelings sort of take off on their own, leaving you feeling off-centered or unbalanced emotionally. You'll catch yourself starting arguments you don't care to have and find it difficult to contribute anything positive. It's hard to have understanding while you are frustrated, and often the solution only becomes apparent once the mind has calmed. Daily journaling exercises and meditation can help make you more aware of your self-sabotaging thoughts, things like "it's hopeless" "it will never work" are very limiting lines of thought, and often become self-fulfilling. By becoming aware of where and when these types of thoughts occur for you, you can start to break out of this negative thought loop and accomplish things you once thought were impossible(like going without drinking and being happy about it).

Keep track of your feelings, and things that affect them. Your feelings are important, and it's ok to feel. One of the big change I noticed for myself is having to actually work through my emotions, rather than just swallowing a bunch of pills and moving on to the next thing. I remember thinking "damn, this is it. I've got nothing for the way I feel." a lot in rehab, especially in the mornings. But the more time I spend in recovery, the more I start to realize there are so many ways to change the way you feel, and drugs happen to be one of the most destructive ways of doing so.

Hi AG, I just read this thread and we have a lot in common. I had a difficult childhood but was always intelligent, went to a good university and became a successfully computer engineer. Got married, great wife and kids. Perfect life to the outside but anxiety and depression rules me in the inside. Alcohol made that all go away. I started drinking more and more. I did stop but got into a bad day accident and got addicted to pain killers. When I tried to quit those I was a mess. I lost my job and after 4 years trying to get myself back I think I'm ready to rejoin the workplace.

I still don't "feel" like I used to and that sucks. I am on suboxone which has naloxone in it. Now I do not want a drink. It has no effect on me. It really works great to get rid of urges to drink. Also ketamine can be a miracle drug for depression. I wanted to kill myself so many times I've the past 4 years. I though about it daily for so long. Exercise literally got me out of bed and feeling better in a week. 30 min jog or walk will do wonders. If you can see a Dr they can help you.

I'm of the option that we should control if we want to live in this planet but I also think we should try everything we possibly can to help overcome our problems before giving in. There are so many options that it would be a shame if didn't try them. My days aren't perfect but I have a great outlook because I know what it was like to hate life so now I really appreciate normal days and love good days. I know you can do the same. I wish you the best and just know others have been where you are and have come through. You can do the same

Hope you are doing okay AG....

So much for our hope for spring. 2-4cm of snow tonight. Yuck. Weather plays a part on us emotionally for sure.

If you have the opportunity to sleep whenever, do it!! You know important sleep is to recovering and your health. I?m sorry to hear you are feeling rough, but very happy to hear you are still persevering. Great job AG!
I am not a night owl by any means. My daughter started a part time job over a month ago. The only reason I am still awake is that I just picked her up from work. Same thing tomorrow night. Her part time job is doing a number on me! I do now appreciate when my parents did this for me.

I pray you are able to get some more sleep tonight. Are you able to see your doc about sleep aid. I have a script for Zoplicone as I don?t sleep well and often travel for work. Just a thought.

Lack of sleep makes it so hard to see the positive in life. You will get there!