• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need help with taper/detox plans to get me off opioid

Thanks so much TPD for your encourangement! The pain, just the fucking unbearable pain, pain. No cravings or anything but Im really tired of being in pain 24/7 since 7 years ago do to medical malpractice...It sucks really and the only meds that works, even tough sometimes it does'nt, are the opiates. When I went under the knife for cancer, they touched nerves they shouln't never never have touched, they left me paralised and in so much pain, not just to say that I almost bleeded to death after the second surgery...Ive tried so hard to help myself with my recovery without any help from the medical fields, until I gave in and 2 years ago I started with opiates. I was ok for a few months and then I started to used it not as prescribed...I know I have to stop cause I cant control myself. Maybe I just have to accept that the pain will be "my friend" forever and thats it. Dont know what to do really... I use to be in top shape, running marathons and doing triatlons and surfing and loads of power yoga. Im so fed up. Cant even pick up my kids or play with them...Life sucks

There is no shame in needing opiates when your in chronic pain. Are you abusing the opiates because your not getting relief from the prescribed dose? Or do you just want to get high? If you just want to get high then hopefully you live in a medical pot state that way you can have your opiates for pain and your pot for getting high. Just a thought. No one should live in unbearable pain.

Thanks Cj. No, cant get medical marijuana here. Bought some CBD oil, tried it but dont feel any relief or maybe I dont know how to use it. Im out of the US. And I used to be hooked on H 20 years ago so...I want to be free from pain thats the main thing. And I also love the high. Thats my biggest problem. I know I have to quit, cause Im on the road of never looking back. And I dont want that. I will have to find a way to control the pain. If only I knew how to? With other meds?? Thanks for your concern. Oh and I stopped smoking weed ages ago cause it was making me paranoid and anxious. Dont know now if it could be different. Its not legal here.

The most important thing I did in my recovery from harmful patterns of opioid use was admitting and coming to terms with the fact I LOVE opioids. They fascinate me. They have helped me probably more than any other substance while making my way through young adulthood.

Of course, their use also caused me a lot of harm, although this has been much more due to how my culture stigmatized opioid used, particularly if they're injection drug users like myself, than any direct consequences to my own health. But, when opioid user are so demonized as they tend to be in America and many other parts of the world, it only does to much good to be able to distinguish between the harm my own used has directly cause me and the much more significant harms how my culture has treated me due to my use. It's important to be able to make that distinction, but it only takes one so far.

But the point I'm trying to make is that, while use of them has caused me harm, opioid use has also benefited me very positively in a number of ways (for one, it helped me come out of my shell and manage social phobia, until I learned healthier ways of doing so). Like anything in life, they can help us and hurt us, depending on how we use them. The thing is, when their use is so stigmatized, it's very challenging them to continue using them long term in healthy ways and maintain healthy habits in other areas of life. Not impossible, but their use comes with a LOT of baggage in such a climate.

I can see you too love opioids. There is nothing inherently bad or wrong with this. Shit, it's hard not to love them in my opinion. But you also want to keep moving on with your life, and as I was saying it's hard to do that while continue using them. When we rely on opioids to regulate our moods, it is difficult to develop other habits that can do so in healthier, safer, less socially damaging ways. Plus not having to take a pill or have a shot to feel good is a truly, truly beautiful and liberating thing.

You've got a great head on your shoulder Sun, I have a feeling you'll be able to accomplish your goals in terms of opioid use/non-use. Loving opioids doesn't mean having to use opioids. Accepting we love opioids is a big step in gaining freedom from our over-reliance on them in taking care of our emotional and physical wellbeing. At least it was the first big step in my process of moving on.

TPD, do you wright on a regular basis? Apart on BL. Do you have a Blog? Have you tought about writing stories, your story, ficicon, novel, etc. I do think you are really god at it. I wish I could express myself better so you could understand what Im trying to say. Well well I thank you so much TPD, me and many others, thats for sure!

You express yourself just fine Sun :)

I have been told the same thing by a number of other people. One day, one day ;)

Ok, Im finished with all my oxys, starting CT again in a few hours.I think its best like this then to know I have some leftovers... Can't go back now cause I took care of everything in case Im not strong enough. So be it.

I feel like shit, big oxy hangover...Ive took to much in just one day... Didnt sleep well and everything hurts.Now there's nothing left. And Im ok with it. Wont have anymore scripts either. Im finished. So again CT starting like now. I could really used some cheering up.

What's your plan to take care of yourself today, just going to take it easy around the house?

Do you have any folks, like a partner or a good friend or two, who are helping support you through this? Or any comfort meds?

Keep your head up Sun, it's just a matter of putting up with the withdrawal symptoms for a few more days until they begin to pass. It ca seem like an eternity, like it will always be that way and it sucks, sucks, SUCKS, while you're going through them at the time, but they will pass. It is just a matter of your allowing them to pass, giving them enough time to pass, all by not taking any oxycodone for the next week or two.

Plenty of other stuff out there you can use to help yourself manage this process more effectively though, which is why I asked about comfort meds (tramadol, gabapentin, diazepam, clonidine, etc).

AND if you're up for it, here's a challenge for you: How are you going to be kind and gentle with yourself today? Find one small way to be nice to yourself today, like getting sometimes taste to eat somewhere, getting a mani-pedi or taking a nice luxurious bath.

Im so hangover that I can't stand food or anything.I wish I could just sleep, sleep would be so nice!! I have Clonidine, ketazolam, loperadime, quetiapine (does that makes RLS worst?) I dont take it but for sleep it knock you out real fast. And some otc pain killers. No, no one knows how I struggle. So here I am with the flu again...But at least I wont be able to get more oxy. Its finished. I gave the rx to my husband to be destroyed and when I go see my doc Ill tell him I dont need it anymore so I wont have acess to it. That something Ive been posponing...But now its going to happen.

TPD, you made me smile with your suggestion of self care! Thanks so much, your so toughtfull! Ijust feel like hiding. Head hurts, everything hurts. A bath could be nice, hmmm..