• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Need Help Please Help me ADHD Medication Question Extremely important Dexamphetamine

davidc8062

Greenlighter
Hi everyone im new to this site, im a 24 year old male with ADHD, i've been on ritalin ever since i was 8 years old and over the years of use it's becoming less and less effective with immense side effects which outweights the positive, so 3 months ago i've been prescribed Dextroamphetamine, 5mg @100 tablets.
It's alot smoother and last longer without me getting headaches and heart palpitations while i was on ritalin.

And im a little concerned about the overheating part when i take these dextroamphetamines, it's not all the time i overheat, it's more like russian roulette, 50/50 chance i will overheat and get a fever, i was wondering if anyone know what can cause this issue, i do not want to go back to my doctor and tell him this, im afraid he might take away my script, and i have severe inattentive ADHD.

HERE are what i take daily that i think might have an interaction with the dextroamphetamine.

1. Swisse Men's Ultivite Formula 1 120 tabs (injest 1 per day)
2. Centrum Complete from A to Zinc One a day formula ( i also injest 1 per day)
3. Gold Standard 100% WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATES
and ingredients from this protein states :
1. tryptophan 405 milligram per serving
2. valine 1422 miligrams per serving
3. Threonine 1654
4. Isoleucine 1573 mg
5. Leucine 2531 mg
6. Lysine 2233 mg
7. Phenylalanine 748 mg
8. Methionine 492 mg
9. Arginine 505 mg
10. Cystine 494 mg
11. Tyrosine 703 mg
12.histidine 423 mg
13. Proline 1509 mg
14. Glutamine and Precusors 4082 mg

i beg anyone here please help me as im freaking out that i'll die of brain damage or overheating and i cannot cope without dextroamphetamine due to my ADHD which has affected my whole life. PLEASE HELP

and i've done so much research on this site and have found nothing. mainly users warn not to take with MAOI but i do not take those so PLEASE HELP.

What are you going to do when you develop a tolerance to the dex and the negative effects become too much for you? Move on to meth? I'd try to wean myself off of the stimulants now after being on them for 16 years. Otherwise you're going to be in a bigger mess in another 16 years.

AfterGlow, i actually have Severe ADHD and just cannot function without it, it's a coping mechanism for me, i seriously think you have no knowledge of this disorder, im here to ask a important question not a lecture, these ADHD meds have helped me through primary school to high school, where everyone has treated me like a freak and an outsider, i have switched from schools to schools and after being treated i can function properly, so please think twice before you post a comment. Despite the overheating i will continue to take this med and all i need to know is what i need to take to counteract this body overheating and fever associated with dexamphetamine use. And after all this is a harm reduction site not a lecture site from someone clearly who does not have any knowledge at all, basically your just telling me to get a grip and cope with it, you think i don't want that??

More information about my prescribed medication at the moment
Valium 5mg per day
dexamphetamine sulfate 5mg - 20mg per day

The valium is prescribed for me to deal with my jitterness and anxiety from my previous prescribed med of Ritalin and ever since i've been switched on dexamphetamine i don't need the valium anymore. But now this overheating problem occurs. PLEASE HELP someone with knowledge I BEG YOU.

Hey David,
Sorry I can't help you with any definite info. But are the first 2 things you mention taking both multivitamins? They both contain some of the same vitamins etc. Is there a reason you are taking 2 multivitamin tablets a day? I think 1 a day is really enough, some vitamins are toxic in large doses, so perhaps you should get rid of one of them. More is not always better! What's the protein stuff for? Could you eliminate that for a while and see what happens? Maybe you could ask at an ADHD specific forum, might get some help there. I have inattentive ADHD too, so I totally understand that not treating it can lead to a life that is basically shit! I take dexamphetamine, usually 15-20mg a day, I don't get any side effects though and I also take a multivitamin most days. It sucks that people don't understand what ADHD is and how important it is to treat it because the life outcome for a person with ADHD that is left untreated can be terrible. And the only options we have are Ritalin or dexamphetamine :(
Good luck :)

thanks angel dust, im glad someone understands what adhd is, im gonna stop taking the centrum vitamins for now, i need all these essential vitamins and the protein due to the fact that im a vegetarian. thanks for the reply anyway angel.

Drop those stupid multivitamins they are just a scam, especially Centrum it doesnt do a thing

I dont have adhd myself, so I dont fully appreciate how it is. I wasn't trying to lecture you. I was offering advice based on my experience using benzos for severe anxiety. After many years, the negative affects weren't worth the diminishing benefit from the benzos. I heard you saying the same thing about stims. Short of that, all I can suggest is you find another doctor who specializes in adhd and offers an alternative therapy.

1. Swisse Men's Ultivite Formula 1 120 tabs (injest 1 per day)
2. Centrum Complete from A to Zinc One a day formula ( i also injest 1 per day)
3. Gold Standard 100% WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATES
and ingredients from this protein states :
1. tryptophan 405 milligram per serving
2. valine 1422 miligrams per serving
3. Threonine 1654
4. Isoleucine 1573 mg
5. Leucine 2531 mg
6. Lysine 2233 mg
7. Phenylalanine 748 mg
8. Methionine 492 mg
9. Arginine 505 mg
10. Cystine 494 mg
11. Tyrosine 703 mg
12.histidine 423 mg
13. Proline 1509 mg
14. Glutamine and Precusors 4082 mg

On a hunch, I'm going to suggest that the overheating you are experiencing could be related to all the neurotransmitter precursors you are taking. Tyrosine and phenylalanine are jumping out at me, I would suggest either cutting those two out immediately and seeing what happens, or cutting out all those supplements and seeing if that removes the overheating. If it does, add the the supplements back one at a time, slowly, until the overheating occurs again and you may find out which supplement or supplements are causing the problem.

If removing all those supplements does not abate the overheating, then you may have a problem with the dexamphetamine itself.

thanks so much mr blonde will surely cut out that particular brand of protein containing these ingredients.

exactly i wasn't asking about anxiety disorders, so you shouldn't have jumped to conclusions without proper knowledge, i myself have anxiety in the past, and have been prescribed valium but i'm no longer on that medication, the withdrawals was intense even though i was later prescribed a lower dosage to slowly taper of the valium, but slowly and slowly as time went by i've managed to suspend that medication. Peace out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ No problems, let us know how you get along.

When you experience the overheating, do you use anything to try and bring it down? Are you monitoring your body temperature? Generally, once hyperthermia reaches 40C then you have a problem that should require medical intervention. Before that, drinking water and using fans or air conditioning are good ideas. If you need to take a cool bath, make sure the water is not very cold as this can exacerbate symptoms.

I dont have adhd myself, so I dont fully appreciate how it is. I wasn't trying to lecture you. I was offering advice based on my experience using benzos for severe anxiety. After many years, the negative affects weren't worth the diminishing benefit from the benzos. I heard you saying the same thing about stims. Short of that, all I can suggest is you find another doctor who specializes in adhd and offers an alternative therapy.

exactly i wasn't asking about anxiety disorders, so you shouldn't have jumped to conclusions without proper knowledge, i myself have anxiety in the past, and have been prescribed valium but i'm no longer on that medication, the withdrawals was intense even though i was later prescribed a lower dosage to slowly taper of the valium, but slowly and slowly as time went by i've managed to suspend that medication. Peace out.

thankyou so much mr blonde, it's more of a 50/50 chance that i experience overheating, and generally when i measure the temp, it's around 38.5 and i feel nausea, and when that happens i drink lots of water and usually subsides after the dexamphetamine has worn off. Thanks so much once again MR Blonde for the advice. you guys are the best here. :)

^ No worries! Welcome to BL, hope you enjoy your stay and that you can get some help in fixing this issue. :)

Im already liking BL, will definitely enjoy my stay and once again thankyou so much for the prompt reply Mr Blonde.

thanks angel dust, im glad someone understands what adhd is, im gonna stop taking the centrum vitamins for now, i need all these essential vitamins and the protein due to the fact that im a vegetarian. thanks for the reply anyway angel.

Hey again David, you should be able to get enough protein just through diet, I don't think the protein powder is really necessary.Too much protein isn't good for you, I believe that the kidneys can't deal with too much. I was a vegetarian for 19 years and have been vegan for the last 7 and never had a problem with getting enough protein just through diet alone. And I've never had a problem with any vitamin etc deficiencies either. You just have to make sure you you're eating properly, and know what sort of foods have what you need. I know that with the ADHD getting your shit together, cooking, remembering to do stuff etc can be a real problem though! Plenty of high protein foods suitable for vegetarians. Get a blood test at your docs to check everything is OK with vitamin and mineral levels if you're worried about it. I get mine checked once a year. If your diet is OK, there's no need for all the supplements. Make sure you take a good multivitamin too, my doc recommended Blackmores. :)

^ The kidneys can handle excess protein, anything over what the body needs is excreted. If you have a kidney problem though, excess protein can put extra strain on them as it leads to larger amounts of urea to be excreted. Also, if your excess protein is coming from an animal source, it can increase the chances of kidney stones.

have you tried taking alternative supplements that have shown to have a positive effect on ADHD?
im sure there has had to of been some progress made in this area...
my brother has it and pretty sure he was on everything under the sun for it but always took fish oil which seemed to help even when on no other meds.
im sure you've tried alot over the years, but just curious

hey here are the listed drug interactions for dexies from the AMH but not dextroamphetamine - not sure about this?

MAOIs + dexamphetamine

Giving dexamphetamine with nonselective MAOIs is likely to result in hypertensive crisis and possibly cause intracranial haemorrhage or acute heart failure; avoid combination (contraindicated by manufacturer).
moclobemide + dexamphetamine

Dexamphetamine with moclobemide (a reversible inhibitor of MAO-A) may result in hypertensive crisis, although this is less likely to occur than with a nonselective MAOI; avoid combination.

and side effects haven't hyperthermia in the list (though that doesn't mean it's not a side effct, just not listed is all)
Adverse effects

Most adverse effects of dexamphetamine are dose-dependent.
Common

headache, nausea, loss of appetite, anxiety, insomnia, dry mouth, tachycardia, palpitations, changes in BP (usually increases in adults)
Infrequent

movement disorders, tics, rash, weight loss, growth retardation
Rare

psychosis, liver dysfunction

So what's your temp with this high fevers? some people get hyperthemic malignant syndrome but that's with anaesthetics in theatre and other drugs, not dex.
sometimes on speed i'd get vasoconstriction - so cold at first and then when it wears off i'd get vasodilation and huge surge in temp, but actual core body temp was ok, just felt hot b/c the blood was rushing through my veins.

hey here are the listed drug interactions for dexies from the AMH but not dextroamphetamine - not sure about this?

Dextroamphetamine is just a slightly longer way of saying dexamphetamine or d-amphetamine.

my brother has it and pretty sure he was on everything under the sun for it but always took fish oil which seemed to help even when on no other meds.

That's an interesting idea. I'd like to see if nootropics would help at all as well.

Hey again David, you should be able to get enough protein just through diet, I don't think the protein powder is really necessary.Too much protein isn't good for you, I believe that the kidneys can't deal with too much. I was a vegetarian for 19 years and have been vegan for the last 7 and never had a problem with getting enough protein just through diet alone. And I've never had a problem with any vitamin etc deficiencies either. You just have to make sure you you're eating properly, and know what sort of foods have what you need. I know that with the ADHD getting your shit together, cooking, remembering to do stuff etc can be a real problem though! Plenty of high protein foods suitable for vegetarians. Get a blood test at your docs to check everything is OK with vitamin and mineral levels if you're worried about it. I get mine checked once a year. If your diet is OK, there's no need for all the supplements. Make sure you take a good multivitamin too, my doc recommended Blackmores. :)

Angel dust i was recommended to take Swisse men's ultivite Multi Vitamin Mineral and Anti oxidant with herbs Formula 1 by my Doc as he said this has all the essential vitamins i need plus anti oxidants and herbs which will make it absorb easier. However i will stop taking protein now and get a blood test from my doc asap tomorrow. thankyou

^ The kidneys can handle excess protein, anything over what the body needs is excreted. If you have a kidney problem though, excess protein can put extra strain on them as it leads to larger amounts of urea to be excreted. Also, if your excess protein is coming from an animal source, it can increase the chances of kidney stones.

Mr blonde i take whey protein as im a vegetarian , i do not consume any animal products apart from milk or eggs only. i follow a strict healthy diet from a nutritionist, but this brand of protein has those neurotransmitter things you said which might have caused the problem so i will stop the protein for now and see if the overheating occurs again. thanks once again.