• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Need help, opioids are not being absorbed at ALL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoBoy90

Bluelighter
Okay, long story short I've been on opiates and opiods for 5+ years, from codiene to , hydromorphone.

I'm now on Tramadol 500mg daily and Oxy 400mg daily. Problem? I can't get them to absorb over last couple days!! Normally 2 Tramadols pulls me right out of withdrawal and I can feel it. But now it does NOTHING. I have tried 300mg at once, nothing. I have tried 40mg Oxy at once and 200mg Tramadol at same time -- still in WD!! Normally 1-2 Tramadols get me outta WD.

My guess? Constipation... I always noticed they don't work as well. And I'd have minor withdrawal like coldness and chills when constipated. But I can't even remember the last time, so I could be pretty constipated, and therefore it's not able to break down in my GI track??

I've crushed them inside a pill cutter and then pour it into my mouth, rinsing it down with soda. But this doesn't help it bypass the GI tract, right? As so far it's not helping. I assume parachuting wouldn't help either. Only subliminal would. Or snorting them... So I had no choice but to try and snort a 50mg Tramadol. Wasn't fun, too much powder, but it did the trick and took me out of withdrawal -- so proof Tramadol works, just when taken orally it cannot work anymore. So yeah, I probably need to fix my constipation problem (which is weird Tramadol causes it worse then being on high doses of Oxy IR + ER did) but in the mean time, is there some other way to get it into my system (and bypass the constipation problem) to make it work?

The tramadol absorbs pretty early on in the digestive tract....thus I don't think constipation which is late in the digestive tract would have any bearing whatsoever on the issue

Constipation is caused by opiates. Get miralax. It's just your tolerance. You need to find a dose that works and stick with it. Don't take it as needed literally, but take it on a schedule at the needed dose no more unless you want to go through some days maybe weeks of lies relief and no less unless you are ready to quit.

It's not tolerance, i mean I don't think it is.

As that doesn't explain why when I snort 50mg of Tramadol it takes me outta WD? Yet if I crush up 300mg and down it with some soda, I'm still in WD?

I was on 10mg Oxy tabs weeks ago. Now I can take 40mg Oxy all at once and still be in WD? Normally I had two 10mg twice daily. But I tried even taking 3 20mg oxycodone at night. Still didn't help. It's just minor WD symptoms but still very annoying always feeling cold and itchy feeling in your chest, etc.

Also, normally 1 50mg pill gets me outta WD, until a few days ago it suddenly stopped. I ended up taking 500mg over the course of 2-3 hours and was still in WD! I don't think a tolerance can develop that fast or that strong, since I've only been on the Tramadol a little over a month, and normally 1 pill at a time.

Last edited:
Tramadol itself isn't an opiate, but it's metabolite is. If your enzymes change regularly then one day tramadol may heavily metabolize into o-desmethyltramadol or something and another day none might convert at all.

Another possibility that generic brands are switched on you and you might go from 12 mg pills down to 8 mg pills. It's not likely, but there's a possibility even though it is unlikely m

Hmm, no idea if my enzymes change regularly. That would explain a lot, as o-deso is what makes it much more potent. But still odd, over a month on it and never had that problem.

I just find it odd how I can snort it (50mg) and it takes me outta WD, but if I crush it up (2x to 3X more the dosage) and just down the powder straight into my mouth, then drink water or soda to get it down and the taste out, yet still be in WD? All in same day and within hours of each other.

As far as generics, nope, I make sure to stay on the same generic always or get brand, as I know generics are vary vastly and have experienced that many times (no matter what the FDA or anyone says, it's been proven by the US Congress and Senate)

Are u sure u don't just have a bug or something? A run of the mill low grade flu unrelated the opioids perhaps?

Just a thought.....The immediate effect of snorting your drugs maybe brought relief and covered the symptoms of the illness due to the rapid onset and replicated the feeling of withdrawal relief?

I know for me opioids strongly reduce the symptoms of non withdrawal illness as well as withdrawal sickness.

My opinion, might want to talk to physician. It can possibly have something to do with the part of digestion track where nutrients and medication is absorbed into the bloodstream. Have you tried anything else other than the oxycodone and tramadol?

Nope, not sick, I know when I'm actually sick.....I just feel the chills and darn itch in the chest, which I always get during minor WD. And as as far as snorting one helping to mask symptoms...

Well, Wouldn't crushing up and parachuting 300mg of Tramadol be stronger than snorting 3/4ths of a 50mg? I don't snort it all since it's a lot of powder. So confused there, too.

If you have an absorption problem in your digestion track then maybe not. If you orally take something else for example xanax and you dont feel it within the hour then imo there is a problem where its absorbed into the bloodstream. Not saying go take xanax just using as example. Can try eating a spoonful of peanut butter wait 20 minutes then take which ever medication, it could help the absorption process.

I actually eat fatty meals with all my pain meds, I find they boost them literally 2-3X stronger. I have also try to eat them with no food, and it doesn't work.
In fact, before I had this problem?? This may actually be my answer.

--If I took hydro/oxy/whatever, say 40mg, I would feel NOTHING and be in WD. I could even double the dose, and then it might help somewhat.
--If I took hydro/oxy/whatever, and are a fatty meal 5 mins before or after taking also 40mg, I would feel it completely and be fully out of withdrawal!!!

So what **If** I'm feeling WD because I'm constipated/stomach full, and therefore when I try to eat a fatty meal, the fatty meal and the pain pills don't connect due to having major constipation? Since I NEED fatty foods for pain meds to work, I wonder if the food isn't aboring properly either, therefore causing my problem as pain pills don't work for me unless I have a fatty meal.

Also worth noting: I see LOTS and LOTS of people all over the internet saying they have minor withdrawals when constipated, because it doesn't absorb properly. Lots and lots of people all over said it, even an "online doctor" says Oxy is the worst when constipated, due to its coating, and it may not absorb properly at all. So it seems constipation does cause absorption problems. It always has for me, too. Sometimes once I finally go I realize that they work again, and get me outta WD, often with a lesser does. But when constipated I would triple my dosage and feel nothing... so I dunno

Someone correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure when you insufflate tramadol, being that its an opioid pro-drug, you are only(except for any drip that gets swallowed) getting SNRI effects, not opioid.
If thats accurate, then you would probably be getting placaebo effects to "take you out of withdrawl" or youre not in opioid withdrawl but more of a rebound from the previous doses SNRI properties.
Sorry just to speculate but it might bring helpful comments...
Hope you feel better....

P.s. you might also want to look into getting your liver enzymes tested. Im pretty sure theyre responsible for the pro-drug to opioid conversion...
Again, sorry for speculation. Im not awake yet(makin coffee) and i might not be makin sense(or understanding the original question)....

Last edited:
Colorado boy, don't snort Tramadol. Binders and fillers galore. You do have a tolerance. If you did not those dosages would kill you.

Let me repeat what others have said. Opiates cause constipation. It's a fact for most people. If your constipated do enima, drink water and use stool softeners.

Afa not absorbing goes, the more base your stomach is, the better absorbed.

You mentioned not getting the same feeling from snorting vs eating.
Those are two different routes of administration.

You also mention not feeling it. You may simply have overloaded your receptors. Dial the Tramadol down in my opinion.

Don't snort pills.

You have the basic answers in this thread. Please utfse and consult a physician if necessary.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.