• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Need HELP!! EXTREME anxiety on methadone maintenance!

24/f/h-addict

Greenlighter
Hello all,

Im new here, and new to MMT all together really... 1.25 months, currently at 45 mg. Anyways, not sure this is appropriate, but I've run out of outlets and need advice. Since I have started MMT I have had SEVERE anxiety along with alot of full blown panic attacks. To the point I seriously become delusional and think I'm going to die. Is this normal? & if it is when does it stop/ is there anything I can do to get it under control? I'm a nervous wreck, and completely crippled by this impending sense of doom inside. I just wanted to move on with life and not have cravings, hence me starting MMT, now it seems I've gotten myself in a huge mess. Please help!

I never experienced this while on methadone nor have I heard of it happening to any of my friends who were on it but I wouldn't doubt you're the only one that this has happened to. Certain drugs can effect people in different ways. Are you seeing an addictions counselor right now? Because if so, I'd speak to them about this issue or if you have a doctor that's intelligent and nonjudgmental speak to him or her.

Have you tried decreasing or increasing the dosage of your methadone? Have you thought about using another anti-addictive solution, such as Suboxone?

I'm sorry you're in the situation you're in right now. I know what you're going through, minus experiencing the severe anxiety. I know getting off heroin and onto another drug can feel like jumping from one burning ship to another.

thank you so much for your reply...
yes, I have a counselor at the clinic, and I told him about it. he simply said try to work on my breathing and get through the panic attacks. however, I don't think that's enough. I seriously feel like noone understands what its like. I literally feel like calling an ambulance every time I have an attack, they are that bad. I do want to switch to suboxone, as I was on that before and had great results, and my insurance is back on and will pay for it, so that's the best move. the problem is I have to be methadone free for 72 hrs before my first dose, , meaning on the verge of dearly w/d to switch. so that has left me stuck on the methadone for right now. I really just want a script of xanax too ease the anxiety, but I just relocated and haven't found a Dr willing to write me one yet. still searching though....just praying this goes away soon. I feel like I've gotten myself in a huge rut going on this crap, and I keep thinking if I'd have just waited out the heroin withdrawl a cpl more days I'd never be in this mess. oh well, such is life though. now it's just time to keep swimming... thanks again for your reply

45mg is not a very big dose, I don't know ur prior tolerance or usage levels when u were on heroin or w/e other opiate, but still, 45mgs seems on the low end to me.

The reason I bring this up, is b/c I would often get anxiety attacks, episodes of panic, and episodes of extreme frustration for no reason at all---no reason OTHER THAN being on too low of a dose of opiates. Whenever I was trying to maintain on any opiates, and my dose was high enough to keep me out of physical w/d but still low enough that I felt less than fully satisfied, I would be prone to these phases of an extremely short temper followed by bouts of anxiety/panic and/or anger/frustration.

It was like I was angry and anxious at the drugs not working 100%, and being stuck in the limbo state of not high--not in w/d but still not comfortable either was so irritating, it wreaked havoc on my emotional states.

Sorry If that was too long, the point of it was though, that you should try upping your dose and seeing if that helps. While meds can make ppl react in all types of ways, since u were an opiate addict before I doubt that ur symptoms are a side effect of the 'done. More likely to me, they are a side effect of getting off opis. I think its worth upping ur dose to 65-80mgs over a week or two and seeing how u feel then...

Panic attacks suck, so good luck and hope it gets better

What are you panicking about? I've never heard of methadone causing anything like that. It could be you're just on too low of a dose. If you can't come up with something speaking to your councilor, try seeing a psychiatrist and explain your situation/anxiety.

I really just want a script of xanax too ease the anxiety, but I just relocated and haven't found a Dr willing to write me one yet. still searching though....just praying this goes away soon.

Be careful, xanax can be habit forming in it's own right. Good luck.

Very few doctors will be willing to write for xanax or any other benzo if you tell them you're currently on MMT. It might effect things at the clinic as well.

thanks,
I have an appt with the clinic dr Thursday to discuss my dose and what should be done. Pre methadone I was an iv h user for about a yr off and on. I had a very greedy boyfriend who kept my dose of the h pretty low, and I even took a few months off around xmas. so I wouldn't classify myself as that bad compared to others. Thats why my dose had been fairly low. I just got up to 45 mg last week actually. I missed my Sunday dose because I forgot my stupid lock box, I think that was a big contributor to my anxiety going through the roof over these last couple days especially. I didn't really feel awful at all until Monday morning, and then it became quite apparent to me that I had again gained a monkey on my back( which of course I knew had to be there being on the done and switching from heroin) but directly there was proof ( if that makes any sense). I know the root of all this anxiety is probably being enslaved to something I don't want to be enslaved to. I would ideally love to be completely drug free and FREE of addictions that could potentially leave me in the bed for weeks wishing I would die, but EVERYTHING I've read says that methadone is the worst opiate to come off. is there truth to this? is there a good way to go about detoxing from methadone? I would ideally like to switch to suboxone and do a gradual taper from there....I guess my real question is what's the least painful physically and mentally?? and thank you for the concern about the xanax. ive been down that road once before with those pills, and although I still use then therapeutically, I'd never want to do that again...

It is one of the worst WD's because it lasts so long. I had to experience cold turkey off a year long daily dose of 120mg of methadone in a psyche ward. It didn't even start in til 2-3 days after being committed there. They offered me suboxone on day 4 but I refused because of the strings attached (no open suboxone doctors in my area, the prescribing doctor couldn't take me on as a new patient either) and was pretty sick for the 2 weeks I was in the ward and didn't stop having GI issues and other WD symptoms till about 25-30 days after. Since you're not on as much of a dose it shouldn't be as bad.

I'd suggest talking to the clinic and having them do a slow reduction of your dose. They'll know what protocol to use. If you find a suboxone doctor you could see about just switching over to a suboxone dose that will equal your methadone as well.

Ive got a suboxone Dr lined up. Her suggestion is to have me take my last dose of methadone this Thursday, skip Fri Sat and Sun, and go to get officer Mon morning for suboxone dosing. does this sound accurate? should I taper for a few weeks first off the done? im terrified of the w/ds.... the panic attacks make me feel like I'm literally going to die. Worse than anything I've EVER experienced. I was thinking possibly tapering for a week or two, trying to get together some xanax and clonodine for those three days of hell, and then switching....

Thank you SO much for your replies... I need all the help I can get lol

It is one of the worst WD's because it lasts so long. I had to experience cold turkey off a year long daily dose of 120mg of methadone in a psyche ward. It didn't even start in til 2-3 days after being committed there. They offered me suboxone on day 4 but I refused because of the strings attached (no open suboxone doctors in my area, the prescribing doctor couldn't take me on as a new patient either) and was pretty sick for the 2 weeks I was in the ward and didn't stop having GI issues and other WD symptoms till about 25-30 days after. Since you're not on as much of a dose it shouldn't be as bad.

I'd suggest talking to the clinic and having them do a slow reduction of your dose. They'll know what protocol to use. If you find a suboxone doctor you could see about just switching over to a suboxone dose that will equal your methadone as well.

Coming off 120mg's cold turkey? Sounds horrifying.

^Wow no kidding, I can't even tolerate the 16-24 hour waiting period to jump from H to Suboxone. Plus being in a psyche ward with all those weirdos and creeps that are likely around.

Is the anxiety a result of the Methadone? If it is the answer seems clear to me, switch to Suboxone or taper off. If it's unrelated you're fucked, good luck finding a Dr. willing to prescribe you benzos on top of your MMT.

This might not be of much help, I have very little experience with opiates and I've never been addicted. However, i have read reports that an herb called Kratom, can ease or erase withdrawal symptoms from opiates and is also not addictive. Its natural and legal also. If you havent heard of it, you might want to research it. If it works, it could be better than a prescription because its not addictive (allegedly)
I hope this helps, but dont hurt me if it doesn't :)

I suffer from anxiety with panic naturally, when I went on MMT, I would get anxiety attacks when my dose weared off, and had similar situations as to what ur saying, that's why I got very heavy into Xanax and klonopin when I was on methadone,, taking methadone aLONE MADE ME FEEL wired and too energetic so I always seeked for benzos outside the clinics for relief...I think MANY people suffer more anxiety on MMT, as I see an epidemic of all MMT patients abusing benzos like its cocaine or somethin

being in a psyche ward with all those weirdos and creeps that are likely around

RTrain - Your harsh judgement of others and the illusion that you are superior is likely contributing to your need for H.

thinking back of when I was on MMT, I cant believe I was on 130mgs daily, and seeing other people on up to 270mgs daily.. I remember my first dose ever at the clinic (30mgs) which they kept me on for 3 days, and bumped me 10mgs every 3 days...but anyways, on 30mgs, I was withdrawl free, I was craving free, I just don't get why doctors push patients to climb higher on the dose, esp in high amounts over 100 mg to achieve a "block dose" I find it ridiculous, there is no reason to keep drugging urself when u feel fine off of 30, and even high..

I suffer from anxiety with panic naturally, when I went on MMT, I would get anxiety attacks when my dose weared off, and had similar situations as to what ur saying, that's why I got very heavy into Xanax and klonopin when I was on methadone,, taking methadone aLONE MADE ME FEEL wired and too energetic so I always seeked for benzos outside the clinics for relief...I think MANY people suffer more anxiety on MMT, as I see an epidemic of all MMT patients abusing benzos like its cocaine or somethin

I was on 90mg and still used H here and there so I never personally experienced bad anxiety but you are right, there is an epidemic among most mmt patients. They almost all use and sell benzos, it's the thing at the program. The methadone program doesn't want that as it's a very deadly combo, they force many benzo/methadone patients into detox for benzos to continue methadone treatment.

yup outside the methadone clinics is where instant access to all benzos are, you can have virtually any pill you want within 10mins. like coke spots, like heroin spots, there are pill spots, its weird I never wanted benzos like I did on methadone...made me compulse for em