• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need advice quitting heroin

I'm sorry if my post was a little spastic .
Did you end up getting some kratom ?

I'm sorry if my post was a little spastic .
Did you end up getting some kratom ?

I haven't gotten any kratom yet. I do have a lot of experience with kratom just not for treating withdrawals. I will probably grab some tomorrow. I took my last dose of heroin Thursday at 5pm. I took the 1st mg of suboxone Friday around noon to see if it would send me into precipitated withdrawals and it didn't. So I continued talking suboxone over the next few hours until I reached 32 mg. I took so much because I expected a lot more relief than I actually got. Having said that, the suboxone has helped a lot. I took 24 mg the following day and 16 mg today. I haven't experienced too much restlessness and pretty much no rls. I didn't eat much or even get out of bed the first couple days but today I'm eating regular and even made a trip to Walmart with my girlfriend. The hot/cold flashes are currently driving me nuts and I'm still very lethargic. I have to say, again, although I expected a lot more relief from the suboxone it really did help a lot. I just wish I didn't take as much as I did but I'm tapering daily for a couple more days at the most. I have to return to work Tuesday so I really hope I feel somewhat normal by then even if it's with the kratom.

Stick with it !! Usually takes 2 weeks for me. The sub will stay in your system 3 days after you stop taking it. Definitely get that kratom to help you with work. You might find yourself in the middle of opiate withdrawl . Be prepared . Maybe consider going to the ER and getting a doctor's note.
I would check the forums for info about kratom and withdrawals as well. You sure needed alot of Suboxone . That stuff is pretty strong.
Happy that you are going through with this . :). A little while longer and you will be free. Stay strong Johndoe315

Its possible you took too much suboxone and/or took it too early and that is adding to your discomfort. that is a really high dose of suboxone. would have recommended 2mg incriments up to 8mg and waiting to see how you feel. but youre passed that anyway. induction is critical, not just for avoiding precipitated withdrawal, but also for feeling better sooner. Just give it a few days and you should feel "normal". The hot/cold flashes and lethargy and other symptoms should subside by tuesday. please dont think the subs arent working and give up. just give it a few more days and you will see it is all good! good luck and post back what happens!

Bro I don't think its possible to quit heroin and maintain your job normally. Heroin is a full time gig. Depending on where you live though, you could take medical leave. In caanada here Im pretty sure u could get a doctors note and give it to employer and they would be forced to not fire u. I don't know what its like where u r but thats worth looking into.

It is absolutely possible to quit heroin and keep a fulltime job with subs, I have done it several times and know plenty who have. While it is easier in a detox away from home for most, this isnt always an option. I would recommend doing the suboxone induction on the weekend and give it a day before you go back (3 day weekend is perfect). sometimes having a job and keeping busy helps some people - they cant just sit around.

if you taper the subs over a few weeks or longer, the symptoms should be fine for going to work, Ive managed before with no issues... but if you need to, maybe take a week off for when you come off subs. everyone s experience is different. however one thing is for sure, I couldnt imagine going to work while quitting dope cold turkey though.

and deathadone brings up a good point, in the US drug addiction is protected by the disability act (pretty sure its that one) and not only is your job safe but if you are actively seeking drug recovery you may even be eligible for partial or full disability benefits (so you can get money if you miss work). may want to speak to a doctor about that. it may vary by state to state as to requirements and benefits - but your job should be safe.

whenever I was in rehab - disability always paid for me missing work during the time I was there plus a week or so after I got out as long as I was still seeing a dr for recovery

Last edited:
Its possible you took too much suboxone and/or took it too early and that is adding to your discomfort. that is a really high dose of suboxone. would have recommended 2mg incriments up to 8mg and waiting to see how you feel. but youre passed that anyway. induction is critical, not just for avoiding precipitated withdrawal, but also for feeling better sooner. Just give it a few days and you should feel "normal". The hot/cold flashes and lethargy and other symptoms should subside by tuesday. please dont think the subs arent working and give up. just give it a few more days and you will see it is all good! good luck and post back what happens!

It is absolutely possible to quit heroin and keep a fulltime job with subs, I have done it several times and know plenty who have. While it is easier in a detox away from home for most, this isnt always an option. I would recommend doing the suboxone induction on the weekend and give it a day before you go back (3 day weekend is perfect). sometimes having a job and keeping busy helps some people - they cant just sit around.

if you taper the subs over a few weeks or longer, the symptoms should be fine for going to work, Ive managed before with no issues... but if you need to, maybe take a week off for when you come off subs. everyone s experience is different. however one thing is for sure, I couldnt imagine going to work while quitting dope cold turkey though.

and deathadone brings up a good point, in the US drug addiction is protected by the disability act (pretty sure its that one) and not only is your job safe but if you are actively seeking drug recovery you may even be eligible for partial or full disability benefits (so you can get money if you miss work). may want to speak to a doctor about that. it may vary by state to state as to requirements and benefits - but your job should be safe.

whenever I was in rehab - disability always paid for me missing work during the time I was there plus a week or so after I got out as long as I was still seeing a dr for recovery

I was hoping to quit the subs tomorrow or continue the taper with them for a couple more days to avoid dependency with those..

You should really try and find someone to sell you some of their methadone.. I'm worried that when the sub wheres off you are gonna be in the middle of opiate withdrawl. Kratom is supposed to help. Idk how much . I was never able to keep it down.. I had a terrible experience with it. Someone said that if I stuck with it, it would of helped a lot. I was in a different boat then you I think , I didn't do sub first and I was using for longer and I wasn't snorting it....

clonidine helps with sweating . Imodium for your stomach. Benzos are pretty wonderful and so is weed.

be prepared to deal with the second half of your detox. Hope your work isn't too demanding and you have an ok time.
Careful with the sub... When it wears off after 72 hours.. don't eat more... worst thing you could do...

You should really try and find someone to sell you some of their methadone.. I'm worried that when the sub wheres off you are gonna be in the middle of opiate withdrawl. Kratom is supposed to help. Idk how much . I was never able to keep it down.. I had a terrible experience with it. Someone said that if I stuck with it, it would of helped a lot. I was in a different boat then you I think , I didn't do sub first and I was using for longer and I wasn't snorting it....

clonidine helps with sweating . Imodium for your stomach. Benzos are pretty wonderful and so is weed.

be prepared to deal with the second half of your detox. Hope your work isn't too demanding and you have an ok time.
Careful with the sub... When it wears off after 72 hours.. don't eat more... worst thing you could do...

I don't see myself getting my hands on methadone. My job is pretty demanding. I'm going to continue the suboxone taper and start the kratom. All I can do. I could drag out the suboxone taper if you're referring to the original opiate withdrawals from the h. I'm just trying to avoid withdrawals from suboxone too. I've had some xanax along the way I was taking at night but I'm out of those now until tomorrow night maybe. Stomach has been fine. Didn't eat much the first couple days but no throwing up or diarrhea either. No restless legs either. So I must say I'm doing pretty good. I just hope I have enough energy to do my job tomorrow. We will see. I'm going either way. Weed makes me freak out these days. Can't smoke that shit. Is clonidine easily available?

Many doctors will prescribe clonidine to help alleviate acute WD symptoms.

Indeed. Any doctor who has experience helping their patients get off opioids will be more than happy to prescribe a course of clonidine+gabapentin.

10 bags in New York or 14 smaller <less expensive> bags

In CT "bundles" are normally 10 stamp bags, similar to NYC and Jersey IME. IIRC "buns" are 50 stamp bags. This particular element of the discussion not well suited to SL though. In the future we should take it to DC.

Yompf whatever happened to just plain quitting and riding it out?

You mean like cold turkey?With opiates ? What is this the dark ages? Lol. I would never tell anyone to do that. I mean ... Why would you do that if you don't have to? Something like meth or alcohol yes. I've had to just stop those all together.
Benzos I needed to taper, I didn't want seizures. And opiates , well that's pretty hard no matter what. I guess you don't like my idea of using subs and methadone or kratom.
Well I don't see why . If you don't get dependant on either . It's like a miracle. Why would you want to suffer horribly if you don't have to. ? It's hard enough . I personally have tried cold turkey and failed. So anyway . Nothing happened to quitting cold turkey. But some people aren't successful that way . Sounds like you were . Hey right on.
I cringe just thinking about it though.. any of this really.. I was just offering my experience . Sounds like OP had already decided to use subs. Now he will try kratom as well. If he didn't give up.
if he did maybe he will try again here soon.
Johndoe315 , i haven't forgot about you. Hope you are ok kid.

For me , I've been physically hooked on heroin / opiates and then quit many many times...... Everytime I tried to use a "substitute" drug I ended up either addicted to the substitute or just never quit because I had a backup drug(s) and never needed to go without an opioid ....

The last time I quit, I just went cold turkey, and it wasn't so bad

Need advise. Been on methadone for years. I taper down from 70 mgs to 15 mgs. I want off of this stuff. My question is that I want to know if I wait 72 hours and then use beuphnmorphine just to help with the withdrawals would it work or do I have to taper the beuphnmorphine also?

Yes you would have to taper with the bupe.
Sub withdrawal can last for 30 days too ... It's alot easier to taper though I think. Like it's possible to get down to a half a mg.
Something like oxy (withdrawal) last half as long as m done and bupe. . .
I would try and get the m done dose low as possible...
Have you considered switching to oxy? It might be expensive cus you may need alot.. I would try to get Roxie's or something without the acetaminophen.
You could stick that out for 30 days until the m done leaves your body...
I mean even Heroine might be a better option if you can't get oxy ... The withdrawls are worse then oxy I think because it's just stronger ... But it takes about as long to kick.. So there's the logic with that...
You could also switch to subs ... It might take a couple of months , idk really how long... you would have to figure out a taper plan that works for you...
An important thing to know is you CAN use an opiate to ease your sub withdrawls once you jump. Obviously don't use em long enough to get dependant,. I jumped from a half mg of sub twice a day I think, pretty close to that... Just a tiny dot of a strip.. And then I ate ten mg of Percocet sometimes twice a day for 11 days and I was ok.... A wreck...but ok... Probably didn't need so much but I'm a real baby and they were available....
So you could switch drugs for a bit to something that is easier to kick. (Sub and m done for a SHORT TIME will help the withdrawals )
Or switch to subs because it's easier to taper. (Opiates for a SHORT TIME will ease the bupe withdrawals). Really gotta get your dose LOW.
Thats what I would do . Hope it helps!!!

It will probably be easier to taper bupe than methadone, so I think you're on the right track (I would not try a fast acting opioid as was suggested above).

BUT...you're going to need to be careful about starting the bupe so that you don't precipitate withdrawals. Because of methadones long half life, you'll need a correspondingly long wait before initiating buprenorphine. Someone with more knowledge than me can speak to what a safe window of time is.