• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need advice quitting heroin

Johndoe315

Greenlighter
I am a 30 year old male. I have been sniffing heroin daily consistently for approximately 2 months. I'm up to about 2 bundles a day. I recently tried to quit cold turkey and relapsed 40 hours in. I missed almost a week of work while trying to quit. I've also missed many other days off work and I will loose my job if I miss ANY more days. I am looking for advice on how to quit this drug while maintaining my job so I don't ruin my life completely. The methadone clinics have 2 week waits in my area and help seems impossible to obtain. If I can obtain suboxone should I conduct a 3-4 day taper at home as I have fri-sun off? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if my post doesn't belong here, I'm new and having a hard time navigating the site.

Definitely don't go on methadone, or even suboxone. That much isn't that bad, you are just gonna wanna stop and wait out the physical withdrawals. . Maybe get a few ounces of kratom for the worst of the physical withdrawal part

Thanks for the reply. A 3 day tapper of suboxone is not a good idea? I've built up quite a tolerance to kratom before I picked up my dope habit. Next weekend I have 4 days off. Should this be enough time to be in good enough shape to go to work?

Good to jump off before it gets worse.!! It could be worse that's for sure. I'm a baby with withdrawls so I would use the sub.
Man... be careful with the sub. What I would do is use it , but not for more then 6-7 days and TAPER the WHOLE time . Come up with a good taper plan based on how you feel. I say taper the whole time because one time I didn't and I got sick from the sub. That might just be my body because you'd think that 7 days wouldn't be long enough to get withdrawls from it , but for some people it is.
If you are sick after sub wears off, (sub has a 72 hour half life ) you can use methadone , but i would not use it more then 5 days. Take the least amount possible . After that you should be ok.
Make sure you wait 24 hours after your last dose of H before taking your sub or you will wish you were dead.
I've done this a few times .
The opiates will leave your system while the sub and methadone will keep you from climbing the walls , and you AVOID getting hooked on either or you will be worse off then you were with the 2 months of snorting H , which.... really won't be that bad compared to the agony it could be if you used needles for hellov years, but im a baby with withdrawls so this is what I would do.

Good luck to you sir and congrats on getting clean !!!

Good to jump off before it gets worse.!! It could be worse that's for sure. I'm a baby with withdrawls so I would use the sub.
Man... be careful with the sub. What I would do is use it , but not for more then 6-7 days and TAPER the WHOLE time . Come up with a good taper plan based on how you feel. I say taper the whole time because one time I didn't and I got sick from the sub. That might just be my body because you'd think that 7 days wouldn't be long enough to get withdrawls from it , but for some people it is.
If you are sick after sub wears off, (sub has a 72 hour half life ) you can use methadone , but i would not use it more then 5 days. Take the least amount possible . After that you should be ok.
Make sure you wait 24 hours after your last dose of H before taking your sub or you will wish you were dead.
I've done this a few times .
The opiates will leave your system while the sub and methadone will keep you from climbing the walls , and you AVOID getting hooked on either or you will be worse off then you were with the 2 months of snorting H , which.... really won't be that bad compared to the agony it could be if you used needles for hellov years, but im a baby with withdrawls so this is what I would do.

I am also a baby with the withdrawals. The restlessness is the worst part. I was thinking an even shorter taper with the subs at 3-5 days. Should I be able to work on Tuesday if I begin the withdrawal Friday do you think? I really don't think I'll have any methadone on hand and it seems pretty difficult to get in a clinic around here. I'm a baby with the withdrawals and I literally cannot miss another day of work. I've had my job for 8 years and can't lose it now.

I am a 30 year old male. I have been sniffing heroin daily consistently for approximately 2 months. I'm up to about 2 bundles a day. I recently tried to quit cold turkey and relapsed 40 hours in. I missed almost a week of work while trying to quit. I've also missed many other days off work and I will loose my job if I miss ANY more days. I am looking for advice on how to quit this drug while maintaining my job so I don't ruin my life completely. The methadone clinics have 2 week waits in my area and help seems impossible to obtain. If I can obtain suboxone should I conduct a 3-4 day taper at home as I have fri-sun off? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if my post doesn't belong here, I'm new and having a hard time navigating the site.

I'm 30, too, and have been using black on and off for the past few years. Several days before I decided to check into a detox facility I used 5 grams. I found the detox program super helpful and would recommend it if you have the time. My taper was 5 days and I took subutex and it was honestly a miracle for me. If you go supervised as opposed to tapering yourself (something I could never manage alone) they'll also give you other meds depending on your situation. I was taking clonadine, vistaril, robaxin (sp?), and topimax for spasms.
If you think you can taper yourself I say go for it and best of luck to you on your recovery!

I'm 30, too, and have been using black on and off for the past few years. Several days before I decided to check into a detox facility I used 5 grams. I found the detox program super helpful and would recommend it if you have the time. My taper was 5 days and I took subutex and it was honestly a miracle for me. If you go supervised as opposed to tapering yourself (something I could never manage alone) they'll also give you other meds depending on your situation. I was taking clonadine, vistaril, robaxin (sp?), and topimax for spasms.
If you think you can taper yourself I say go for it and best of luck to you on your recovery!

Wow, scubagirl, it sounds like you found a good place to detox. Did you do a lot of research before you chose them?

I am also a baby with the withdrawals. The restlessness is the worst part. I was thinking an even shorter taper with the subs at 3-5 days. Should I be able to work on Tuesday if I begin the withdrawal Friday do you think? I really don't think I'll have any methadone on hand and it seems pretty difficult to get in a clinic around here. I'm a baby with the withdrawals and I literally cannot miss another day of work. I've had my job for 8 years and can't lose it now.
It's hard to say ... I mean for alot of people withdrawls peak at around 5 days. If you eat the sub for that long it should buy you 8 days because of the half life. Your probably looking at a couple of weeks though till the withdrawals are over, even with only 2 months of use , I would prepare for 2 weeks , to play it safe. 2 bundles a day , that's like 20 bags isn't it. You must be on the east coast. If I where you I would start to cut back to the very MIN that you need to be well . And then switch to something weaker like Norco , before you start the Suboxone regime. Always good to get your your tolerance down before kicking.
You know , you can try it but there's a good chance your going to find yourself feeling pretty crappy all of the sudden after 8 days. But you might be ok too ! Idk everyone is different.. I CAN say that 2 weeks is long enough.maybe a few days less. Drink ALOT of water. It WORKS. Too bad you can't hook yourself up to IV fluids . Lol. I had to kick a small binge in the hospital because they wanted to KEEP me for something , and I swear the fluids helped it leave my system twice as fast.
So if you find yourself feeling unable to work after the sub wears off it's important NOT , I repeat DO NOT eat more sub. Maybe kratom at that point would help?? I really don't know. I never thought to use that because I had a crappy experience with it. I would get some just in case though.!! Because it's supposed to help and by then your tolerance would be down enough for something like that to work (I would figure)
If that doesn't work or isn't possible ,and you can't get a little methadone, and you absolutely CANT handle the way you feel , I would get an opiate to do , something weak like Norco , since my tolerance would be down and I'm a small person, it would not take much to stop the restlessness . Just don't do more sub because you want to AVOID getting dependant on that. It's a 30 day withdrawal . Really sucks. Methadone is the same 30 days.. it's very dangerous.
So then you can try again but I have to say it , I used sub to kick a small binge twice and the 3rd time it didn't work as well and i ended up getting dependant on it by "accidental" lol carelessness.
I think you will be ok though. :) The kratom could be a really good idea.

Really you are going to need a mixture of things and time if you are going to escape with the least amount of suck as possible.
That's my advice. As far as being able to work after your rapid detox . It's really up to the person. My X would go to work in full blown methadone withdrawals.

To treat acute withdrawal buprenorphine should be taken for 7-14 days (reducing the dose of the second week). However, most people who have been using opioids for any significant length of time (I doubt you just up and started using 20 bags of heroin daily without having been experienced using similar drugs previously) find that an extended six month detox using buprenorphine or methadone to be preferable to just the detox. It allows one to stabilize, which only using it to treat the acute withdrawal does not.

At the very least, I'd highly recommend working with buprenorphine, gabapentin and clonidine for your acute withdrawal. And do consider a more appropriate course of ORT (using it just to handle the acute detox is not enough for most people, although if it's what you want I'd support you, it's just might be more difficult than if you had more pharmacotheraputic support).

Wow, scubagirl, it sounds like you found a good place to detox. Did you do a lot of research before you chose them?
No not at all actually. My parents found it and it was the only place that could take me right away. It's called AKUA Mind & Body. It was a great place to detox. Really caring staff, too!

It's hard to say ... I mean for alot of people withdrawls peak at around 5 days. If you eat the sub for that long it should buy you 8 days because of the half life. Your probably looking at a couple of weeks though till the withdrawals are over, even with only 2 months of use , I would prepare for 2 weeks , to play it safe. 2 bundles a day , that's like 20 bags isn't it. You must be on the east coast. If I where you I would start to cut back to the very MIN that you need to be well . And then switch to something weaker like Norco , before you start the Suboxone regime. Always good to get your your tolerance down before kicking.
You know , you can try it but there's a good chance your going to find yourself feeling pretty crappy all of the sudden after 8 days. But you might be ok too ! Idk everyone is different.. I CAN say that 2 weeks is long enough.maybe a few days less. Drink ALOT of water. It WORKS. Too bad you can't hook yourself up to IV fluids . Lol. I had to kick a small binge in the hospital because they wanted to KEEP me for something , and I swear the fluids helped it leave my system twice as fast.
So if you find yourself feeling unable to work after the sub wears off it's important NOT , I repeat DO NOT eat more sub. Maybe kratom at that point would help?? I really don't know. I never thought to use that because I had a crappy experience with it. I would get some just in case though.!! Because it's supposed to help and by then your tolerance would be down enough for something like that to work (I would figure)
If that doesn't work or isn't possible ,and you can't get a little methadone, and you absolutely CANT handle the way you feel , I would get an opiate to do , something weak like Norco , since my tolerance would be down and I'm a small person, it would not take much to stop the restlessness . Just don't do more sub because you want to AVOID getting dependant on that. It's a 30 day withdrawal . Really sucks. Methadone is the same 30 days.. it's very dangerous.
So then you can try again but I have to say it , I used sub to kick a small binge twice and the 3rd time it didn't work as well and i ended up getting dependant on it by "accidental" lol carelessness.
I think you will be ok though. :) The kratom could be a really good idea.

Really you are going to need a mixture of things and time if you are going to escape with the least amount of suck as possible.
That's my advice. As far as being able to work after your rapid detox . It's really up to the person. My X would go to work in full blown methadone withdrawals.

Yeah, 20 bags and I'm on the east coast. I've gotten up to 20 bags within the last week or 2. Maybe I'll do a bit longer of a taper with the sub. 6 or 7 days? Then switch to kratom and hopefully ride the rest of it out with that. Is there anything to take to make the initial 24 hours any easier before I can take the sub?

You know.... if I ever find myself kicking again. I would try doing 8 mg sub a day for 4 days and when it wore off I would do the m done. If after 5 days of m done I was sick , I might eat another 8 mg of sub. If there is a next time I'm going to try that. I think that's a good plan too. I haven't tried it though.
So anyway.
benzos /weed for the Transition.Try and just sleep it out. That's what I did. Infact that will help you throughout your whole detox.
Weed and benzos. Um, but of course be responsible with the benzos because after a week or two you could become dependant.
Have you had info on PAWS? You should read up on it.
Also please be careful with the sub.
The time I didn't taper during a 7 day sub regime , I ended up withdrawing for a month. It sounds weird after only 7 days but it happened. It might of been 8 days I don't remember but the experience led me to ALWAYS taper my dose .
In detox they fed me 8 mg of Subutex for like 3 days and then 4 mg and then 2 the 5th day , and 3 days later I was hellov sick. Everyone said I would be sick from the sub but I wonder if it might of been the opiates. Idk.
Just please be careful. Come up with a taper plan . I did something like 8 mg - 4mg - 2 mg over 7 days while drinking alot of whiskey .Then 3 days later , methadone.
Maybe try 6 days just to be safe. I might of done 6 not 7 days I don't remember. ! Just DONT get hooked on the subs !!.
You should be ok during that time. Just pay attention to your body and if you need to adjust your taper do it a sliver at a time (assuming you have the strips)
I used this method and variations to kick little binges here and there.
Maybe get some more info on kratom , and it being able to pick up where the subs left off.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing. !!
This is a great place for support.

10 day suboxone detox that works

hi, i know your struggle i just recently got off of h using a 10 day suboxone detox i created. I'm 6 months sober and it feels amazing to be off that leash and not be in the grasp of h, i have a bachelors degree and was going nowhere so i bought some suboxone figure out a plan and created a detox that works! i was on h and shooting up pills for 2 years. id be happy to show you my charts i made for each day and how i cut the subs to detox, i went through 0 withdrawal and was amazed that i was able to do it, my number is 9188500091 if you would like my help and for me to send you pics of the chart i used the hmu! anyone who needs help with this and would like my help feel free to text me!:):):)

hi, i know your struggle i just recently got off of h using a 10 day suboxone detox i created. I'm 6 months sober and it feels amazing to be off that leash and not be in the grasp of h, i have a bachelors degree and was going nowhere so i bought some suboxone figure out a plan and created a detox that works! i was on h and shooting up pills for 2 years. id be happy to show you my charts i made for each day and how i cut the subs to detox, i went through 0 withdrawal and was amazed that i was able to do it, my number is 9188500091 if you would like my help and for me to send you pics of the chart i used the hmu! anyone who needs help with this and would like my help feel free to text me!:):):)

Did you wait 24hrs to take the first dose of suboxone? How much did you take each day? Thanks for the support.

Thank you. I would love to do that but I absolutely cannot miss another day of work. I need to use The weekend to stabilize the withdrawals with suboxone and hopefully return to work Tuesday.

You know.... if I ever find myself kicking again. I would try doing 8 mg sub a day for 4 days and when it wore off I would do the m done. If after 5 days of m done I was sick , I might eat another 8 mg of sub. If there is a next time I'm going to try that. I think that's a good plan too. I haven't tried it though.
So anyway.
benzos /weed for the Transition.Try and just sleep it out. That's what I did. Infact that will help you throughout your whole detox.
Weed and benzos. Um, but of course be responsible with the benzos because after a week or two you could become dependant.
Have you had info on PAWS? You should read up on it.
Also please be careful with the sub.
The time I didn't taper during a 7 day sub regime , I ended up withdrawing for a month. It sounds weird after only 7 days but it happened. It might of been 8 days I don't remember but the experience led me to ALWAYS taper my dose .
In detox they fed me 8 mg of Subutex for like 3 days and then 4 mg and then 2 the 5th day , and 3 days later I was hellov sick. Everyone said I would be sick from the sub but I wonder if it might of been the opiates. Idk.
Just please be careful. Come up with a taper plan . I did something like 8 mg - 4mg - 2 mg over 7 days while drinking alot of whiskey .Then 3 days later , methadone.
Maybe try 6 days just to be safe. I might of done 6 not 7 days I don't remember. ! Just DONT get hooked on the subs !!.
You should be ok during that time. Just pay attention to your body and if you need to adjust your taper do it a sliver at a time (assuming you have the strips)
I used this method and variations to kick little binges here and there.
Maybe get some more info on kratom , and it being able to pick up where the subs left off.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing. !!
This is a great place for support.

Thank you! I will let you know how it goes this weekend. I appreciate the support.

Bro I don't think its possible to quit heroin and maintain your job normally. Heroin is a full time gig. Depending on where you live though, you could take medical leave. In caanada here Im pretty sure u could get a doctors note and give it to employer and they would be forced to not fire u. I don't know what its like where u r but thats worth looking into.