View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Nausea or fear or both?

Espiritus

Bluelighter
I've taken mushies a few times in my life and only occasionally have felt a little nausea-like feeling, which I like to describe more as anxiety and discomfort. It always goes away easily when I take deep breaths and focus on opening up to the discomfort rather than running from it. It results in emotional catharsis usually when I open up to it. It does feel like nausea though because something rises up to my throat and I feel physically uncomfortable. The last time I took some, I got a more intense version of this and because it was very intense, I couldn't breathe and relax into it. Plus I was around other people in a new environment. The thing is I'm not sure if it was just an actual physical nausea from the substance itself or if it was psychological like I've always thought it was...maybe I was afraid of something in my subconscious and the fear brought on the nausea? It's hard to say because I was having a good time and all of a sudden, I started getting bouts of nausea and felt like running away somewhere. It was a bad enough sensation that made the trip feel like a bad one.

I hear nausea is common with mush. How do you distinguish between physical nausea and anxiety nausea? Does anyone experience purging due to psychological tension? Maybe I need to purge

I've taken mushies a few times in my life and only occasionally have felt a little nausea-like feeling, which I like to describe more as anxiety and discomfort. It always goes away easily when I take deep breaths and focus on opening up to the discomfort rather than running from it. It results in emotional catharsis usually when I open up to it. It does feel like nausea though because something rises up to my throat and I feel physically uncomfortable. The last time I took some, I got a more intense version of this and because it was very intense, I couldn't breathe and relax into it. Plus I was around other people in a new environment. The thing is I'm not sure if it was just an actual physical nausea from the substance itself or if it was psychological like I've always thought it was...maybe I was afraid of something in my subconscious and the fear brought on the nausea? It's hard to say because I was having a good time and all of a sudden, I started getting bouts of nausea and felt like running away somewhere. It was a bad enough sensation that made the trip feel like a bad one.

I hear nausea is common with mush. How do you distinguish between physical nausea and anxiety nausea? Does anyone experience purging due to psychological tension? Maybe I need to purge
My first few shroom trips i got extreme naseusa and ending up throwing up during the peak while experiencing rebirth was a pretty intense experince but i felt cleanse afterwards, You can always try take it in a tea to reduce the naseusa, but i have found if i eat a light meal before the trip and after a few trips my body got use to shroom's and i no longer get as bad naseusa, a few hits on a joint and calm it down aswell while intensifying the trips. It can be part psychological aswell just deep breaths sit up and relax try some ginger beer to help digestion aswell.

It sounds like it could be both - even elite athletes throw up before big games sometimes so anxiety and stress can definitely cause nausea/vomiting, even without being altered.

Mushrooms for me have always been very nauseating, regardless of whether I’ve eaten them as is or used the lemon tek/tea method. I’ve had two experiences where it felt like I had been poisoned and the severe nausea persisted until well after the visuals were done and made me swear off mushrooms for years.

What worked for me to finally get back to enjoying them was eating as clean as I could for 24+ hours before I plan to eat them, and similar to TripSitterNZ but in reverse order, I eat the mushrooms and then make myself an egg or two and a piece of toast and have that roughly 10 minutes after, and then drink a juice made with ginger and lemon slowly during the come up. Doesn’t prevent the nausea but it’s made it manageable and I can enjoy them again.

Weed definitely seems to help some people (doesn’t work for me but I love it for after the peak hits to kick the trip into a higher gear), ginger seems to work great for a lot of people, and I’ve also used odansetron (Zofran) for severe nausea but it also seems to dull the trip for me so I try to avoid it if I can.

Long story short your experience was likely a combo of psychological nausea + the nausea most people get from shrooms anyway, but there are things that seem to reduce it as much as possible. For me the less nausea I have the more comfortable I am going out in public, so it may be that doing what you can to reduce the shroom nausea will also quite the mental aspect of it.