View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

My star rating scale for psychedelic intensity

Flickering

Bluelighter
Thought I'd share this - not that it's overly important, experiences are what they are, but this is how I categorise my own hallucinogenic journeys when I think back on them. Think of it like Shulgin's + scale, only a bit more specific.

(Threshold) - it's possible you're just imagining the effects.
* (Light) - effects are definite, but gentle and manageable. You can almost ignore them if the situation calls for it.
** (Moderate) - effects are powerful and unmistakable, but they're not outside your comfort zone. You can still venture out in public on this dose.
*** (Powerful) - the trip enters challenging waters. The reality you came from may become distant and abstract, and you'll hesitate to wander too far outside if you're wise.
**** (Extreme) - disorienting and overwhelming. You're still connected to reality, but it's a tenuous connection indeed. If you let go at this point, you could learn a lot; but if you hold too fast to the world you came from, things could get very nasty indeed. This is the sort of experience I tend to have on 4g+ of shrooms.
***** (Breakthrough) - speaks for itself, this is the point where you leave Earth behind and enter into a totally different universe that might be heaven, hell or any measure of other, otherwise unimaginable, realities.

Again, not something I take too seriously, but I've had a lifelong fascination with fitting qualitative things into boxes, and I felt like sharing this. Maybe you'll relate, or find it useful.

Here's the "Official Phuckingnutz Psychedelic Intensity Scale"

Baseline...You are not high.

"Buzzed"...not sure if its HPPD, a hangover or placebo....double your dose.

"Tripping"...You are tripping...redouble your dose.

"Tripping Balls"...You are tripping balls...double up yet again.

"Phucked"...perfect state of mind...double up one last time, juuuuust to be completely sure you are where you want to be.

I'm trying to talk Erowid into adopting it officially, but I've not had much luck with that...yet.

"Phucked"...perfect state of mind...double up one last time, juuuuust to be completely sure you are where you want to be.

Couldnt be more perfect.

and honestly, not to be a dick, but this seems like a paraphrased version of every psych rating scale ive ever seen. Only thing that ever changes are the '+'signs or '***' rating.

Last edited:
This one has 5 levels though. Nothing wrong with sharing thoughts.

This one has 5 levels though. Nothing wrong with sharing thoughts.

Yes, but in phuckingnutz's version "baseline" is no effect at all. So there's really still only four levels of intoxication, just with zero added. Shulgin doesn't have a zero because it's meaningless. He just says no effect I guess. The version in the first post looks valid though. The addition of breakthrough level could be useful.

Technically the shulgin scale has 5 levels I guess, that is if you include the +/- which is essentially the same as a percieved threshold that very well may be no effect at all. The problem with scaling that I've seen is that person A's ++ can be what person B refers to as a +++. Labeling the psychedelic experience can get tricky, so I just go with the flow unless I'm documenting a psychedelic I haven't ingested before :). Also, a +++ with mushrooms is vastly different imo than a +++ with something like mescaline when it gets down to the nitty gritty. In the end though, I think it's fine to have personal intensity scales but on public boards I think one established barometer is more than enough, to prevent confusion and all...

Last edited:
^Agreed, thinking you can one-up Shulgin without doing anything different...

This scale is more a retroactive classification of the OP's personal experiences, not a prospective chart for discussion among users.

Adding a level doesn't necessarily make it better. Shulgin's scale makes sense for exactly that reason imo. It's a subjective experience, so a "scale" only needs to be general enough that we can agree on effects within the parameters of a single substance.

It more or less looks identical to the Shulgin scale except you've chosen to use * instead of +. Not trying to be a jerk, but I doubt you're going to improve greatly upon a system created by a brilliant psychedelic researcher with more experience than everyone on this forum combined.

I'm trying to talk Erowid into adopting it officially, but I've not had much luck with that...yet.
Hahaha
That is pretty awesome! :)