My Rights in a Public High School

sweetheart, this is such a sad thing to hear about. its unreasonable. jesus christ... it doesnt sound to me like you're senior year is going to amount to much if the role models (ie teachers/principals/counselors) students are supposed to look up to have no faith in a student because of invalid reasons.

i honestly suggest you get out of this school. you can still get into a good university, or just a community university if you get your GED. spend your first year there and pull up your grades in a nurturing and independent environment. i honestly think you should either A: convince your parents to home school you, or B: just drop out now with their permission (if you are under 18) and get your GED.

think of it this way. its exstenuating circumstances. i would have been out of there way earlier than now... if it has escalated to this status... it could get worse for you. and you'll start college sooner than any of your graduating class... or you can take a year off to work and save up money.

just some ideas.

i hope you feel better about this situation sweetheart. im online a lot if you need someone to vent too. you sound incredibly mature. i admire your courage.

if you decide you want to stick it out request a meeting with the school board council and address the issue in public with your concerns, citing the problems you've encountered and why they are comletely unacceptable. you arent doing drugs... you arent doing anything wrong. they have no right to prosecute you just because of a "reputation."

Well, I have a big update. The local paper wrote a story about the teacher/student sexual relationship and how many teachers and principals knew about it and now the school board and the police are looking into that.

I have not been searched lately, but a cop has told a lot of my friends not to hang out with me because I only mean trouble. And the cop even told 3 of my friends that if he saw them talking with me, he would contact their parents. So fuck the cop.

As far as the teacher goes, my lawyer has contacted the school after I got the other stuff in the newspaper and even local news. The teacher that has said all that stuff about me is now on "paid leave" or some shit. They said they are going to investigate matters.

And for the searches, after the newspaper reported that. A local news channel has done a report about school searches. I was on the news, woohoo! But my dad has told me that some Senator/Congressman has mailed him about school searches and says that notifying parents before or during searches is a must. So hopefully this will all work out.

Great to hear! Sounds like the media did its job and really pulled through for you!
Have a copy of the tape? I'd love to see it :)

Wow, what a fuckedup story! Must say though, you wrote your story really well and it was a pleasure to read A+ ;)

Back to the issue at hand. You know I might be going way off the boat here, but if I were you, I would invest or ask my dad to invest in one of those hidden camera's .. like http://www.advanced-intelligence.com/video.html for instance. Now legally, they are not admissable in court, but if you really want to cause some serious shit and get them to back off, just record em.

Dont know if tech stuff like that is illegal in your school ... but if I had a scenario like that happening, I would do it in a heartbeat!

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Well, I called my bro so I can use his scanner to scan this pretty big article in the newspaper. So I might have it scanned this weekend like on Friday night or Saturday. And is there anyway to transfer something on TV to computer or will I have to buy something?

And the Director of Schools MIGHT let me switch to another school. This school is out of the whole district of schools I was in. It's a city school that I wanted to go to, but my parents would have to pay a whole lot of money. But I talked to the school board today about me getting searched and they were not happy. We still have the same school cop, but he is "leaving" in a few weeks. I don't know if someone MADE him leave being the school cop or what.

sounds a bit too much like 1984. Well you should have rights in a school. Doesn't matter if you are minor. I think there are some definite fiends in there, trying to run their own little world. Stay strong, dude.

I need some advice here. They gave me the option of letting the school board pay the cost to sending me to a city school or stay in my school. I don't really want to make where the school pays because of a few reasons. For starters, all my classes are jammed pack. They do not have enough desks so people have to sit like at the teacher's desk and some people just sit on computer chairs and have no desks. And apparently the school is out of money because they need 3 more teachers. They do not have enough rooms for anymore teachers so basically, whenever a teacher is on a planning period, another teacher is teaching in their classroom. So basically, I don't want to take away from the from parents and just anyone else that pays taxes so the schools (and the state) can have whatever supplies they need for education.

My lawyer, parents, and me have had a long talk and we have no decision right now. I in a way want to go to this school because I want to see big changes. I don't want the Director of Schools to say they are totally changing the school and when I leave, it gets back to normal. I, even as a off-school weed smoker, think that drugs should not be in the school. I think there is no reason why a person should have a bag of weed in school or other drugs. I don't know if you all will disagree with that, but that's how I feel.

I'll keep you all updated. And I want to thank every one of you all for supporting me. Whenever I mention this somewhere else, people tell me to stop bitching and make it look like I'm a spoiled little brat who just wants to cause trouble in school. But you all from the first second knew that I was being bullied and gave me support. Without you all helping me out, my life in school would of been a lot worse. Thanks everyone.

I'd say it's almost worth sticking with it at your school. I'd take the better learning environment. It seems like you've won a huge victory here. I don't think the teachers are gonna fuck with you, considering the circumstances. Are there any downsides to sticking around?

Okay, I have chosen to stay in school. And today, I have never felt so much anger in my life. Most of my teachers have been acting just like I'm a normal student even though I went to the news about the twisted school.

But then there is this one teacher. His name is Mr. Shell. He is one of the teachers I told last year about the teacher/student sexual relationship and he did nothing. I told him about it last year because even though I didn't have his class last year, the teacher that was having sex with students, taught in his room in his off period.

Now, this is difficult to all explain, but please read and give me advice.

He is the leader of a school technology club. They put all the people in the club in the same class as me. So the class is broken up into two groups. One group is the people that have to sit there and work nonstop because they are not in the club which is called TSA I think. Then there are the people who are in the club (there are about 8 students) that just have to sit in the back of the room and talk. They don't do anything. And I'm not trying to whine saying this is not fair, but when they get a credit in the class for just sitting in the back talking, while the others have to sit and work our asses off, then I do not find that fair. And the people in the back (his "special" students) are always talking loud so I can hardly hear the teacher.

And whenever one of his "special" students talk to loud, he just tells them to quiet down. Whenever one of us in class talk, we have to sit in the hall and copy words out of the dictionary.

So we are in class today and we partner up for this assignment. I can't understand the teacher when he was giving us instructions because his "special" students were talking to loud. Well, when he is done and tells us to get started, me and my partner (his name is Jordan) do what all we could hear he told us to do. And then we got to the point where we had to ask for help because we had no idea what to do. We raise our hands and he comes over. He starts talking to us and then another one of his "special" students calls him over. So he leaves us not knowing what to do and Jordan and me wait for him to come back over.

Well, he just stayed with his "special" crowd for over 25 minutes and we just keep waiting. And then he comes back to the class and he starts saying that we are not paying attention and just not even trying. I get angry, but hold my temper and said I couldn't understand him because of the people in the back. He says I'm making up lies and not even trying.

So yeah, I did the wrong thing, and lost my temper. He tells me to go to his office (he has one in his room) and he starts saying that I am trouble and he doesn't even want me in his class. Now, before this, I busted my ass off in all his work, giving 100% when to be honest, only like 40% even try in his class. He said that we did nothing. I asked him how I am supposed to do something when he wouldn't even explain to me what to do. He said I was making excuses.

Well, I told him that I was not making excuses, but he kept calling me a liar. And then he said something that really hit my nerves emotionally. He said, and I quote, "You are nothing but a lazy bullshitting coward." Now, that would make anyone angry, but it honestly hurt me more emotionally. I'm not trying to sound like a little bitch, but when he said that, memories from over the years between me and my father entered my mind. That was EXACTLY what my dad said two years ago when he got mad about something that I can't even remember. And when my dad said those words, he was literally beating the living fuck out of me. I mean, choking me, punching me, shoving me, slamming my head against the wall....

And as I heard the teacher say that and those memories ran through my head, it was like anger took over me. I told him that he was a no good piece of shit teacher. I told him that he has no idea what I've been through. I dropped my backpack and just started moving around like I do before I fight. I got in his face and just said, "Fuck you bitch!" And I was yelling. It was different though. In my mind state, it wasn't like I was talking to my teacher at that moment. It was like I was talking to my dad.

Nothing has happened yet because it was the last period so I didn't have to go to the principal's office or nothing. I just sat in the hall after that because we only had 3 minutes until school was let out. But I don't want you to think I just jumped off the gun and started chewing him out. The start of the conversation, I was EXTREMELY polite. I just told him why I didn't have any work done. But it was almost like he wanted me to snap.

You may be thinking that I am just plain out crazy. I hope someone understands. But nobody knows the stress that the school and teachers has caused me in the past and present and nobody will every understand what I have been through as a kid. If I did something wrong, my dad would just beat the living hell out of me. He is getting better with his temper now, but when the teacher said that, it just sparked a nerve.

So please, do not be calling me a dumbass for snapping. You have to know what I went through. But I just need advice on what to do tommorrow. So anyone with any advice, please help me out.

I just fucking love public education. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you go to the principals office tell him what your teacher said. If something does happen to you, I'd tell the news that you had be suspended, or whatever happens, after you broke both those stories to the news. That certainly wouldn't look good on the school's part. It seems to me that maybe the teachers words were stemming from that a little bit.

Fuck him...and if worse comes to absolute worse, plenty of people have had good lives getting a GED, going to community college, then transferring to a larger college. In fact I have 3 friends doing the same thing because they either slacked off (2 of em) in high school or were abused by the system (1 of em).

Shags2Dope78, I feel bad for you man. The worse they could do is suspend you however and probably for 3 days. I doubt they will and if they do, raise hell and share your stories with the news again, like j33buscr1p3s said.

Damn, this needs to be archived or something. You could write a book about all this shit! I feel for you man. Keep fighting!

dude that sucks ass man im really feeling you. I just got suspended for 3 days for having drug paraphenalia on me and i had to give them names of 5 kids to get off which i didnt. Then the Cop asked me to give him 6 names of people if i want to and i said flat out no only when all hell freezes over in front of my mom :D . Before this i was in the lunch room and they searched me right after i walked inside IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE SCHOOL! the lunch room went silent and everyone stared at me as i got searched with my hands in the air staring at them all. The time before that i got pulled out during a test. But that is pale in comparison to what happend to you I live in michigan soo they wont do to much but it worries me

Unfortunately, the more money a school gets, the more of a prison it becomes. You may know my high school, as it was the hazing capital of the world 2 years ago (Glenbrook North, google it + hazing). There is a Glenbrook South school which, in my opinion, has a more troublesome group of students who pose a "greater" risk to people, and by people I mean paranoid administrators. But this doesn't stop my school from making it a nazi prison. Oh no.

We have ID cards, and at all times there are para-professionals guarding all exits. If you wish to leave for open lunch, you have to be a junior/senior w/ a special icon on your ID. If you try sneaking out, you bought yourself a 6 hour saturday detention. Glenbrook South has a mere 3 hours for such events, and never for that crappy of a reason.

And of course, we have a zero-tolerance policy. In my handbook it says that even if you're SUSPECTED of being under the influence, administrators have the right to suspend you for 3 days.

Have you ever seen extremely rich suburban neighborhoods with big-ass black iron gates, entrance guards, etc? I swear, there's some sort of universal law that postulates an increase in monetary wealth yields an increase in paranoia.

I went to one of the best public high school's in new england. I think its the best in massachusetts right now.
anyways, the town is crazy rich and the school has a lot of money. The school is not like a prison at all. My graduating class was only 120-130 so maybe the size of the school has something to do with it.

Update:
The school board is moving the old principal to another school and we got a new one. They fired one principal (the one that usually comes with the cop to do searches) and they have replaced the school cop with another cop. The teachers sorta act strange near me now though. For example, today, the teacher was asking questions throughout the class. She was asking every student by desks and then she just skips me and she did the same thing yesterday. I don't have any complaints about that, but I find it funny.

Now, the school board says they are looking into what teachers knew about the teacher/student sex problem. So I have basically turned the school totally around in the matter of weeks.

Sorry about not being able to keep you all updated. I have had a shitload of homework, but I'll keep you all updated when I hear more. Thanks to everyone for the support.

and i thought my school was bad with their fascist mormon reich and terrible punishment for the use of a curse word. Hell on yearbook signing day i swear half the school was shrooming, high, or popping pills. I live in the rich white suburban kind of area (although i'm not so rich unfortunately) so pain meds are huge here. It sounds a little like your school, we have a cop that i don't think has ever searched, in fact i rarely even see him. We have the group of kids called the rat pack and you ask one of them if they got a dime bag and they always got it and you can buy it off from them right in the middle of school. Hell i've been to school high on something more often then not.
the only problem are those nice rich fascist white mormon's that really do rule the school, i'd take my position over yours any day.

Well, my dad was at a local meeting for cops last week, and the subject of schools were on the list. My dad said that the cops had me listed as a potential suspect of dealing heavy drugs. I find this strange since all this stuff, but I'm not really surprised. My dad was not mad or drug tested me because he was not shocked either. Apparently the old school cop has been mentioning my name when he was leaving the school. My dad said they already have 2 undercover cops posing as students and that they could be asking me to sell them drugs.

He wasn't exactly supposed to tell me this, but he did because he apparently has worked everything out. He has got my name off that list and he is having a meeting with the old school cop that has hurrassed me. The meeting is going to be this week and my dad is going to chew his ass out.

And here is how my name got on the list:
First off, when I said I didn't know if the school cop was leaving for another job or if he was forced to leave, now I know. The police department replaced him after they found out what he has been doing in the schools. So he didn't leave on his will. When he was leaving, he was asked to write down names that he has heard were potential drug users or drug dealers to give to the new school cop. He wrote me down (and my dad has this copied) as suspected for dealing cocaine and prescription pain killers. I guess it was his last shot at me.

But now my dad is having a meeting with that cop. He is going to ask for good evidence to have that written down or he is going to talk to his boss. I know the cop has no evidence because I have never sold cocaine or pain killers. I have bought pain killers at school, but that was before all this started. I have done cocaine, but only a few times, and I know that the only people that known about that are my close friends who are hooked on coke, so I know they didn't say anything to the cop.