• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

My friend went Psychotic on Acid

But, is it normal when taking a higher dose of psychedelics to not be aware that you have taken psychedelics?

Yes. It is not exactly that I do not remember taking a psychedelic, but that I have no idea what a person (and thus myself) is, what time is, what a drug (including a psychedelic) is, or even what an idea is. Thus, the words "taking a psychedelic" would not be comprehendable.

When you experience that, are you incapacitated, or are you capable of moving around and doing stuff?

When I'm tripping so hard I can't believe it I can walk around and see around me, it's just that I'd rather not.
As for "doing stuff" I'm not sure what you mean. I wouldn't really want to do anything other than walk around in the woods somewhere.

Yeah, when I'm so far gone that I can't remember that I took drugs, I like to be on my own, in a dark room, lying down. Most of the time I don't even want music playing.

The first time it happened, I retreated to bed because I had the vague sense that if I didn't, I could easily get myself into serious trouble. Since then, finding a dark, silent, comfortable place to lie down has been my last resort every time I feel like I'm tripping way too hard for anything else.

This thread goes to show that psychedelic are not toys and things can go wrong on trips.

Also people with pre existing mental conditions (on meds for depression, bi-polar etc) are better off avoiding psychedelics all together for the sake of their sanity.

Hasn't everyone had a friend or aqcuantance who went psychotic on acid?

I have seen them start talking to themselves and yelling at themselves, what is really a trip is go in the room with them and talk to them, see their trip and try to understand the ego conflict (that is always what it is) that is the culprit.

We just put a guy in a room after giving him some benzos about ten years ago and listened to him argue and yell with himself all night.

It put a pall over all of our trips and kind of ruined the night.

We were sych assholes at the time and such elitists we shunned the poor guy after that because he "couldn't hang".

Actually looking back it is probably the best thing that ever happened to him as some people should not do drugs - their personalities are not stable enough.

Still I wish we had been more gentle with him after that and not made it such a dis like he wasn't one of the cool kids anymore.

I'm sure everyone here hates AA but actually there are good principles in it and if I could find him I would make amends for treating him badly after he had his "problem."

As I get older I realize that AA is good, it was 10 years of my life, but it cannot solve all problems. That does not mean though that there are not some good ideas in AA - like make PEACE with your brothers and sisters!

When you experience that, are you incapacitated, or are you capable of moving around and doing stuff?

No, I am completely in control of my body. I have danced in this state before. I tend to be pretty quiet, but I think I do talk a little bit.

Where do you draw the line between what is psychotic and what is just normal? If you lose all sense of time, space, history, humanity, normalcy, and go talk to aliens, spirits, or God, it's normal, but if you talk to yourself it's psychotic?

When I'm tripping so hard I can't believe it I can walk around and see around me, it's just that I'd rather not.
As for "doing stuff" I'm not sure what you mean. I wouldn't really want to do anything other than walk around in the woods somewhere.

The reason I asked was because I thought that maybe there was a state in between the state that you were talking about (in which I assumed you would be incapacitated) and the state of being completely in control. By "doing stuff" I just meant moving your limbs, walking around, acting on desires, stuff like that.

Where do you draw the line between what is psychotic and what is just normal? If you lose all sense of time, space, history, humanity, normalcy, and go talk to aliens, spirits, or God, it's normal, but if you talk to yourself it's psychotic?

Not being able to identify what year it is, where you are, who you are, and screaming alternating with talking repetitive phrases to people who aren't there while arguing with yourself in a multi-personality type episode is psychotic.

This is what that guy did 10 years ago, like I said we gave him Valium and put him in a room and shut the door. Occasionally we would go in and check on him but the look in his eyes and the fear and occasional screaming - pure MADNESS.

He could not respond to the question, "what is your name?"

The response was like, "Oh yeahhhhh, not gonna trick us this time, noooooo, buudddy, NNNOOOOOOOO!" "Tell them not anymore because oh yeah guyyyy, you don't understaaaaaandddd, do you hear ME?!!! ME??!! YEAH its ME uh huh yeaaahhhh MEEEEE guy" "Yeah that's right, thats him, doesn't understand, tell him to go over there NOW!!!!!"

This was the response to similar questions like, "What year is it?" "What is your mom's name?" "Where do you go to school?"

He returned to "normal" after about 14 hours but was shunned after that night as he freaked everyone out with the noise and shouting, and ruined the evening. Never forget the look in his eyes in the worst of it, pure madness.

That is "psychotic" - if your with someone who behaves like that they are a danger to others and themselves (like deciding to jump off a balcony) and should probably be taken to a hospital. Or at the very least sedated by someone experienced and put somewhere they cannot hurt themselves and checked on frequently - still think hospital is best in case their mind is breaking permanently and maybe a hospital can prevent them from a life in a psychiatric ward.

Just having an amazing trip you usually still know what your name is and can communicate "sanely" with other people around you like answering a basic question or getting a glass of water if you are thirsty.

Hope that helps - as a kind of psychotic test...LOL

Last edited:
Not being able to identify what year it is, where you are, who you are, and screaming alternating with talking repetitive phrases to people who aren't there while arguing with yourself in a multi-personality type episode is psychotic.

This is true, but not all psychosis is damaging or dangerous.

Sometimes babbling incoherently or displaying multiple personalities can happen in a totally emotionally neutral or even emotionally positive way, and as long as fear and delerium doesn't enter the trip, the person who is having a psychotic break can sometimes come out of it much better off psychologically than they were going in.

A friend of mine once had a full-on Fight-Club-style split-personality freakout (he manifested a secret alternate malicious personality that had been controlling his actions for years, and had to expel this other personality from his body) that ended up helping him resolve extremely deep-seated issues within himself and become a much more psychologically healthy person. He was incredibly lucky, of course ... under most circumstances, he'd have ended up in the hospital and his process of confronting his personal problems would have been cut short by antipsychotic medications, OR something would've gone badly before he got to the hospital and he would've suffered serious damage of some sort. He managed to work through the entire ordeal in a state of temporary insanity but without needing medical attention, and the end result was that he was significantly more balanced after the trip than he had been beforehand ... it was a healing journey of sorts for him, although an extremely difficult one.

Sometimes a psychotic break can wind up working in a person's favor. The circumstances that allow for this are rare, though.

This has happened to one of my friends before, I believe as a result of his use of antidepressants more so than the relatively manageable dose of lsd he ingested. Upon further research we concluded his insane behavior was a result of him slipping into a dissociative fugue state.

"A fugue state, formally Dissociative Fugue (previously called Psychogenic Fugue) (DSM-IV Dissociative Disorders 300.13[1]), is a rare psychiatric disorder characterized by reversible amnesia for personal identity, including the memories, personality and other identifying characteristics of individuality. The state is usually short-lived (hours to days), but can last months or longer. Dissociative fugue usually involves unplanned travel or wandering, and is sometimes accompanied by the establishment of a new identity. After recovery from fugue, previous memories usually return intact, however there is complete amnesia for the fugue episode. Importantly, an episode is not characterized as a fugue if it can be related to the ingestion of psychotropic substances, to physical trauma, to a general medical condition, or to psychiatric conditions such as delerium, dementia, bipolar disorder or depression. Fugues are usually precipitated by a stressful episode, and upon recovery there may be amnesia for the original stressor (Dissociative Amnesia)."*

This sounds like what happened to our friends. Doubt you'll read this - there are so many responds and I'm sorry if this is a repeat post.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugue_state