• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

⭐️ Social ⭐️ My cat and his weird obsession with Kratom

Puff

Bluelighter
Hello, I'm new here :)

Maybe the text is a bit weird, but is because English is not my native language.

So, I have this cat, a beautiful and noble russian blue cat. I love him with all my heart and we are almost always together: he stays with me while I'm working, he sleeps with me and my boyfriend, we play in the morning or at night (depends on our energy). However, he is a very independent cat too, he likes to stay by himself sleeping in the room or in the office.
But there is something very particular about him...
Let me start from the beggining.
My boyfriend is trying to live a life a little bit more free of oxys when April started, so, we bought kratom to help with it. As my boyfriend doesn't like the taste of kratom, he uses empty pills to take it. Sometimes I take too and I'm the one who usually prepares the pills in the kitchen (I open the recipient with the poweder and put in the pill) and it doesn't matter the time, my cat appears by my side like some paranormal invocation and starts meowing and approaching the kratom, trying to take it. I don't allow him to come closer, I clean after prepare the pills, and I hide everything in a place where my cat will not catch, but everytime we are preparing the kratom he appears.
Is just my cats who gets fascinated with kraton, or is general? There is some study about kratom and cats? There is any explanation for my cat liking to stay closer of kratom?
Thank you very much :)

Catnip is known, and Valerian I seen em do it too. Although I don't get it as the smells are completely different to me.

Catnip actually smell's good. But Kratom that is peculiar. Is a Blue Russian Cat the same as an Siberian Bushcat?
Got a female with blue eye's and a beautiful 'neva masquerada' fur, after I quitted Kratom.

When I accidentally drop a kratom capsule on the floor and don't realize I did because it fell on the carpet...I will find it the next day with teeth marks all on it and it's a soggy mess from her licking it. It isn't quite dissolved...it's just this gel like capsule that she has played with for hours. Like the other poster said...cats love plant based herbal supplements a lot. I had shaken one too many out of the bottle one day and instead of putting it back I just set it on my dresser and forgot about it. Later that day it was gone and under the bed and she was laying on it like she was protecting it and didn't want me to take it from her.

So Kratom is another herb cats like to smell, how strange, makes you think how many more other than catnip and valerian that cats like

Strange thing about catnip, when it's eaten it gives cats a different effect than when it just smelled, it's like they have a upper effect one way and a downer, sedated effect when they have it a different way, weird

So Kratom is another herb cats like to smell, how strange, makes you think how many more other than catnip and valerian that cats like

Strange thing about catnip, when it's eaten it gives cats a different effect than when it just smelled, it's like they have a upper effect one way and a downer, sedated effect when they have it a different way, weird
my cat just seem's to get in an trance like state staring and smelling the plant, Catnip. her nose is max 0.5 cm away from it.

and after sometime she just gets out of it and does her business as usual.

Last edited:
Is just my cats who gets fascinated with kraton, or is general? There is some study about kratom and cats? There is any explanation for my cat liking to stay closer of kratom?
My cat is obsessed with kratom as well. I buy loose powder in bags. Over 10 years of my kratom use I have been good at keeping him away from it, but unfortunately a few times he has gotten into it. If I am careless, he will lick up loose fallen powder on my desk and/or stick his face into an open bag.

He has dosed himself a couple of times :(. Always gives me a panic attack, but was never bad enough that I thought he needed to go to the vet or was in real danger.

He will become stimulated, purr a lot and want to play but seems a bit stoned. After about an hour he will go into a deep sleep for 2 hours. After about 3 hours he seems back to normal.

Continue to be careful around your lovely kitty!

Last edited:
Catnip is known, and Valerian I seen em do it too. Although I don't get it as the smells are completely different to me.

Catnip actually smell's good. But Kratom that is peculiar. Is a Blue Russian Cat the same as an Siberian Bushcat?
Got a female with blue eye's and a beautiful 'neva masquerada' fur, after I quitted Kratom.
what a lovely cat you have. Thank you very much!

I think he is different from the siberian bush cat, he is gray and don't give allergy.
Whats-App-Image-2022-04-22-at-14-41-41.jpg

My cat is obsessed with kratom as well. I buy loose powder in bags. Over 10 years of my kratom use I have been good at keeping him away from it, but unfortunately a few times he has gotten into it. If I am careless, he will lick up loose fallen powder on my desk and/or stick his face into an open bag.

He has dosed himself a couple of times :(. Always gives me a panic attack, but was never bad enough that I thought he needed to go to the vet or was in real danger.

He will become stimulated, purr a lot and want to play but seems a bit stoned. After about an hour he will go into a deep sleep for 2 hours. After about 3 hours he seems back to normal.

Continue to be careful around your lovely kitty!
I'm glad that your cat is okay! Usually, just with the smell he also gets stimulated, but now he learned how to keep a distance while preparing the kratom.

oh a russian blue..........nice, maybe likes the smell, mine just likes to be in my business, when im focused on a semi difficult task, other wise shes indifferent, what a funny cat you have
thank you very much!

I'm glad that your cat is okay! Usually, just with the smell he also gets stimulated, but now he learned how to keep a distance while preparing the kratom.
yeah, I don't think it takes very much for him to become inebriated

one time I came home from work and noticed he had kratom powder all over his face, like he stuck his head in an open bag

that was the worst, he was obviously high, but I watched him like a hawk and he was fine-- I've seen him get much more high on catnip

however, one time back in my mushroom farming days he ate a mushroom that I must have dropped on the floor. He was high as a kite for about 20 hours. It was actually a very traumatic experience for me, I was also high as a kite on mushrooms that night (and drunk, pills, weed, etc). I was tripping my balls off and then thought I had just killed my best friend and he was overdosing. I wanted to drive him to the animal hospital but I was in no condition to drive. I assume if a guy high on drugs shows up to the vet saying his cat is also high on drugs, they would have called the police, right? Horrible night.... awful. I love my cat like a child.

luckily mushrooms are just as non-toxic in animals as they are in humans, he took quite the ride that night but he was just fine and no long term damage

after that night, I feel so bad when my cat gets into my stash :( I won't even vape or smoke weed in the same room with him.

yeah, I don't think it takes very much for him to become inebriated

one time I came home from work and noticed he had kratom powder all over his face, like he stuck his head in an open bag

that was the worst, he was obviously high, but I watched him like a hawk and he was fine-- I've seen him get much more high on catnip

however, one time back in my mushroom farming days he ate a mushroom that I must have dropped on the floor. He was high as a kite for about 20 hours. It was actually a very traumatic experience for me, I was also high as a kite on mushrooms that night (and drunk, pills, weed, etc). I was tripping my balls off and then thought I had just killed my best friend and he was overdosing. I wanted to drive him to the animal hospital but I was in no condition to drive. I assume if a guy high on drugs shows up to the vet saying his cat is also high on drugs, they would have called the police, right? Horrible night.... awful. I love my cat like a child.

luckily mushrooms are just as non-toxic in animals as they are in humans, he took quite the ride that night but he was just fine and no long term damage

after that night, I feel so bad when my cat gets into my stash :( I won't even vape or smoke weed in the same room with him.
I know this feeling, I also love my cat like a child, and sorry for what you've been through. But is good to know that now he is fine.

Although I've never witnessed it with kratom itself, I have seen cats act this way around other plant-based human drugs.

One of my old roommates had a cat that used to go crazy for raw marijuana— if we left some out on the kitchen table, he would be up there right away, flopping onto his back & rolling around in the buds, with a look of ecstasy on his face . . . pretty damn charming, I have to say. (Smoked weed, on the other hand, had no effect and he seemed to dislike it.)

My wife's cat also goes crazy over some of the ayahuasca plants, though I don't know which one specifically. IIRC, we had mimosa bark & Syrian rue (& possibly one more) stored together in a Ziplock freezer bag. She would climb into the duffel bag containing it, purring loudly, and begin aggressively rubbing her face against the corner of that freezer bag.

I'd guess that it's basically an extension of the "catnip effect" to other psychoactive plants.

Even with their species' namesake plant-drug of catnip, the responses of individual cats vary quite a bit— some are fiends for 'nip, salivating over any scrap, while others seem unaffected by the dankest nugs; it makes some turn "hyper" & begin running in circles, while others appear "tranq'ed" & lose their coordination on it.

So it kind of makes sense that cats would vary in their response to other plant-drugs, IMHO.

My cats wont touch it. Every time I go into the kitchen to prepare it they come. I think its a habit like they get the food and stuff from that room and I am doing the spoon against glass tinkling and they come a runnin. I alway put the glass down where they can and do smell the steam coming off the cup. They turn their heads and walk. Not interested.
Hey. Welcome to BL. I love yer vibe already. maybe we chat again?
Peace

My cats wont touch it. Every time I go into the kitchen to prepare it they come. I think its a habit like they get the food and stuff from that room and I am doing the spoon against glass tinkling and they come a runnin. I alway put the glass down where they can and do smell the steam coming off the cup. They turn their heads and walk. Not interested.
Hey. Welcome to BL. I love yer vibe already. maybe we chat again?
Peace
interesting how they react different.
Thank you very much, sure we can.
Peace.

what a lovely cat you have. Thank you very much!

I think he is different from the siberian bush cat, he is gray and don't give allergy.
Whats-App-Image-2022-04-22-at-14-41-41.jpg
Nice, totally different cat due to the fur, but also a non allergenic cat type. The Bushcat's share this phenomenom. For me that is a plus as i am allergic to regular cat's.

neva-msquerada.jpg

This is another Siberian Bushcat with 'Neva Masquerada' fur, like mine. She involves lots of vacuuming, not the cat offcourse the carpet, as she has an under and upper part of fur. She also gets dreadlock's when not taken care of.

Great character, nice to kid's very solitair and aimed at human's for love and attention. And she needs a minimum of three sessions a day preferably. Petting session's!

Nice, totally different cat due to the fur, but also a non allergenic cat type. The Bushcat's share this phenomenom. For me that is a plus as i am allergic to regular cat's.

neva-msquerada.jpg

This is another Siberian Bushcat with 'Neva Masquerada' fur, like mine. She involves lots of vacuuming, not the cat offcourse the carpet, as she has an under and upper part of fur. She also gets dreadlock's when not taken care of.

Great character, nice to kid's very solitair and aimed at human's for love and attention. And she needs a minimum of three sessions a day preferably. Petting session's!
wow, how gorgeous. But I imagine that you have to take a lot of care of the fur.
Minimum three times a day? how nice.

Those Siberian cats are so huge. My Siberian was so huge she was scary.
There were a bunch of people around breeding them at one time. And they were all Black
with a very sight tint of blue. They are awesome breed but tough to find the real big pure bread ones.
And no it really didn't like weed. Just fresh air with it. Meow Meow. 🐱

This reminds me of our old family cat, Snowball.

I dunno what kind she was, she was white & had long hair. Beautiful cat.
Every time me & my brother & friends would get in our circle to pass a bowl around, this cat would come out of nowhere & literally find a spot in the circle with us.
She'd hang there til we were all done & then she'd go eat a bunch of food & go lay down somewhere.

I'm almost positive that she was catching a contact buzz with us & intentionally doing it, as it became a routine thing.