• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids MUST HAVES for injecting (and injecting Pills) HOW TO GUIDE

ninePM

Greenlighter
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]If you are going to inject things into your body on a regular basis safely I found the following works for me, but a little background to quell fears of another idiot spreading bad info on the internet; I'm a licensed phlebotomist and studied micro biology as it relates to human pathology in undergrad. Does't make me an expert but my techniques are based on actual facts. I can do this entire process in about less then three minutes with practice, this article takes longer to read then then the whole process![/FONT]

1. Clean hands! Bacteria is every where, most harmless but some not. Wash with soap and water for 60 seconds, you don't need antibacterial soap this can present its own set of problems, then when you dry your hands USE PAPER towels! Use the paper towels to shut off the tap and don't touch anything after you have washed your hands. This is so important. Next I have a special bottle of rubbing alcohol that has been wiped down to pour on my hands. Soak your hands in it and let it dry. The drying is what kills the bacteria not the alcohol it self. Also use 70% not 91%. Alcohol works by penetrating the bacteria then drying out. The 91% doesn't penetrate the bacteria nearly as well as 91 because it has less water in it. Stay away from 50% as thats just useless as antiseptic and don't know why they even sell it. Keep all your injecting tools in a box or drawer thats only touched with clean hands. Hardest part is not touching anything after you wash your hands. I once almost lost an arm by poking myself in the hand with a needle by accident, and not washing my hands. A week in the hospital on vancomyacin.

1. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Isotonic sterile 0.9% saline solution in single use vials. These are what you use instead of tap water. Perfectly balanced for your blood. This is what is in the bottles of injectable drugs. I get them in the form of “Inhalation Solutions” for a nebulizer machine, paid for by my insurance. They come in 3ml single use vials that you throw away after each use. This insures you are getting sterile pH/salt balanced solution. This is critical to keeping out bacteria and not irritating your veins. This step mitigates collapsed veins and infections. I get these by telling my doctor I have to use eye drops and I'm allergic to eye drops. You will have to ask for them by name. Sold as “ Sodium Chloride inhalation solution, [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]USP 0.9%” NDC 0487-9301-03 . Cost $39.00 USD without insurance for 100. The other option is “Unisol Salene Solution” in 4oz bottles sold over the counter $11.00 for three sterile bottles. You can put open bottles in the refrigerator to keep them close to sterile after opening. Don't use tap water, you are asking for long term irritation or short term infections.[/FONT]

2. Insulin Syringes and lots of them. The exact size depends on the site you use. I inject in the hands and wrist so I can get away with 31ga (thick) X 8mm (long) X 1 cc (volume). The smaller the better. On insulin syringes they are graduated in marks by 100. These are known as “units”. 1CC = 100 units. I prefer to inject 70 units or 0.7CC of solution at a time. This is enough to dilute the drug as much as possible[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] while still leaving enough room in the syringe to create a vacuum and let blood flow in. The more dilute the solution the better for your veins. Some drugs are not meant to be injected [/FONT](suboxone and methadone) but people are going to do what they are going to do, so we might as well as mitigate harm. You can see if your pill (drug) was made to be injected by seeing if it's[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] available as an IV solution. Check ALL countries; the USA doesn't have IV oxycodone but Europe does, but no country has IV codeine because it's ineffective [/FONT]and/or possibly dangerous to inject. I saw a picture of what a syringe looks like after multiple uses; at six times the point was actually folded backwards on itself like a fish hook, you can imagine the damage that would cause[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]. Ideally single use is best, but not always practical. I will at most use a 31ga syringe three times [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif](meaning it punctured the skin three times, the needle doesn't care if your dope sick and keep missing, or if your are in the bathroom and people are wondering why you are in there so long[/FONT]), but I get 100 a month. In between uses I rinse (inside and out) with water to get the blood clots out then rinse once with 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol then let dry or suck up sterile saline to get all the alcohol out. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I also get these trough insurance because I have an RX for testosterone. Which is four times a month, I got around that by telling the doctor that once a week injections give me side effects and I had to divide the dose up daily. Pharmacies are iffy about selling needles, even though they are legal and you don't need an RX. So to buy them, don't walk into the pharmacy looking like a junky, dress nicely cover any marks on arms hands, and give them a BS story BUT ONLY if they ask. IF they ask for a script tell them you have never needed one and your other pharmacy is out. Most states can sell you a 10 pack, but try to buy the box of 100, its only about $30.00 for the BD brand. You can also scan the paper work they give you with your prescription for other meds and change the drug part to insulin and have the instructions say “inject 15 units as needed daily”. Get creative, have ID at the ready and anything else they might ask for. DON'T BE RUDE OR CURSE! I was a pharmacy tech once and that's a guaranteed way to not get what your asking for. Tell them you are almost all out and show them a bag of syringes with one or two left, and you don't want to pass out in their store, last thing they want is to get sued because they were being over vigilant. God forbid they should stop the spread of AIDS or other blood borne pathogens but thats the country we live in.[/FONT]
4. Filters! Many people on here speak of these wheel filter things. Those are the best but if you can't get them here is a close second. I use two 3ml syringes with out the needles. The first one I just use for sucking up liquid. The second is my filter. The process works like this; After making sure every thing is clean:
-Crush the pill up into a fine powder between a piece of CLEAN paper.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]-Pour the pill into a small container, I use medication measuring cup that hold about an ounce in volume. Don't touch the powder, thats introducing bacteria[/FONT]
-Add your total volume of saline [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]from an unopened 3ml saline container as discussed earlier[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]-Swirl the liquid around for 10-20 seconds. The drug seems to dissolve into the liquid very quickly[/FONT]
-Place a piece of gauze from a single use package, the gauze comes in 3” squares so I cut a 1/2” X 3/4” strip out using a dedicated pair of scissors I just rinsed with alcohol, into the cup. It will absorb most of the solution and powder
-Take your suction syringe and suck up the solution. Most of the powder stays in the gauze and this will make your filter last MUCH longer
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]-Filter: Take the second 3ml syringe [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]and pack it with sterile gauze about 1/3rd of the way. There is a trick to this. Cut the gauze into 1/2” squares (about 15-20) and pack them in ONE AT A TIME. If you stuff them in all at once the liquid just flows down the side bypassing your filter resulting in a cloudy liquid. These particles damage your heart/lungs an can get trapped in blood vessels in your brain resulting in a stroke, this is why everyone says injecting pill is dangerous, it is if you dont do it right or use a flame to dissolve the pill. Remember it flows fr[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]om[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] the injection site vein to your heart, then your lungs, then out to the rest of your body including your brain where you want it. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Once you have your gauze in insert the plunger compressing down your gauze stack as much as you can, It should fill the syringe about 1/3 leaving the top part for liquid. Hold one end of the filter syringe into your collection vial, I use one of those tiny glass screw top bottles that they sell good weed in, while squirting the liquid into the end. This catches any drops that fall through the filter. Then insert the plunger and slowly push the liquid through. The result should be a 100% clear liquid that is the color of the pill. If its cloudy suck back up into your suction syringe, rinse out your collection vial and try again slowly. You might need more layers of gauze. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]This filter should last for 10-20 pills assuming you use a small piece of gauze every time you make your solution.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]5. Take your 31ga syringe and uncap the ends and suck up the coloured solution out. Use caution not to bump the end of the needle on the bottom of the container. This will dull the point into a fish hook shape. Clean the injection site with alcohol using a fresh piece of gauze or paper, and inject.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I have been doing this for about one year in a half since a very severe surgery. I actually just do this for pain relief as nothing else works. Sometimes I wish it gave me a buzz, but thats not going to happen with such severe pain. I have a HUGE pile of powder I collected that would have ended up in my lungs or heart had I heated the pill or wasn't vigilant about filtering. Stay informed stay safe. [/FONT]

If you keep adding pills without a cleaning the spoon the non-water soluble fillers will build up exponentially. At the very least you should try to construct a homemade syringe filter with a 10ml syringe (cigar size), some dental or large cotton balls boiled in clean water and some qualitative filter paper or bleached CLEAN coffee filters. Cut a 2" circle of filter and place a ball of cotton atop of it then ram down the barrel taking care not to tear the filter but also keeping it centered at the bottom of the syringe. Once it is fitted additional cotton may be packed tightly into the barrel depending on the amount you need to filter. Roughly 1 cotton ball per 2-3 pills. Flush your filter with clean water and pack as tightly as you are able to with the plunger , the rubber head seal can be removed for packing the filter without a vacuum when it is removed. You can crush then hydrate to solution or let them dissolve in solution with a little time but heat increases viscosity of fillers. Dump the whole blue cocktail into the breach of your filter and a clear to slightly blue hue solution will emerge with some plunger pressure. You may then decide if you want to boil your solution before using.
Although crude, this method is far better than a lone speck of filter in a sea of fillers, adjuvants ,etc. The remaining blue sludge in the filter can be lightly rewashed with minimal fresh water but you will be surprised at how little oxy remains. The filter paper is the key to a half decent filter. As cotton alone can cause it's own hazards. You can double up on the paper after some practice with assembly. After use it should be cleared of all filter media and is not meant to be used after an hour or so of being wet.

Everything listed above is available at most drug stores. If you do continue to IV, you should seriously consider sterile syringe filters available on E-Bay , Amazon,etc. They filter down to .45-.20 um (1/100 grain of sand) and are available with med large luer- lok sterile syringes. In that case the above described crude filter makes an excellent Pre-Filter to lessen the particulate load on the very fine retail syringe filter. 10 years ago I read a post like this and truly believe it spared me some capillary ischemia.

So 10 micron filter paper or gauze? I'm leaning towards the qualitative filter paper but I'm probably biased as I have a full box of it.

I appreciate your thorough guide for injecting chemicals carefully into the body. But, why be sterile and careful if you are injecting garbage into the body that was never meant to be injected? This reminds me of prison medical aides using sterile techniques while injecting some poor sucker with a lethal injection. Points to you for being so smart, though! Mikie %)

^ I think it has something to do with being a drug addict and the behavior that surrounds that.

I'm surprised you didn't mention stetilfilt tips or better yet high grade micron filters over gauze

Yeah probably should have mentioned either of these are only useful as a pre-filter to make the Whatman's last longer. Unless circulatory ischemia is not a problem, IE you don't mind strokes or pulmonary embolisms.

I appreciate your thorough guide for injecting chemicals carefully into the body. But, why be sterile and careful if you are injecting garbage into the body that was never meant to be injected? This reminds me of prison medical aides using sterile techniques while injecting some poor sucker with a lethal injection. Points to you for being so smart, though! Mikie %)

Good analogy but: I don't!!!!!!!!!!! The drug I use; Oxymorpone is safe to be used as an injection, as it sold as an injectable. The substance I inject contains the drug,sodium chloride at 0.9% which is isotonic and traces of the dye used to make the pills. Everything else in this brand of pill is not water soluble and almost all of the particulate matter is filtered out until the solution of clear as water with a slight tint from the dye. People on the internet always say "Injecting this pill or that pill is dangerous." No its not. The techniques people use are dangerous.

To answer the question about the filter paper vs gauze; I would use both; put the gauze on top of the filter paper in your "stack". Use the gauze to absorb the large particles so the the filter paper works better or lasts longer. You know the filter is full when it gets hard to push through or the the end product is not perfectly clear. Be careful of liquid that shoot down the side of your filter.

I'm surprised you didn't mention stetilfilt tips or better yet high grade micron filters over gauze

My point is when these are not available. I still havent heard one person here say where to get these special filters. Everyone tells you to use them but not one person says where you get them or how much they cost or what you attach them to.

EDIT I just saw the quote that was spliced into this thread...

Last edited:
I get them by the box full at my local needle exchange.. if that's not possible Google is your friend and they are available on harm reduction needle exchange supply websites probably a bit pricey, but less expensive than f wheel filters and totally worth it