• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Muslim BL'ers

Personally I detest the religion of Islam. I find it non-sensical and barbaric but truth be told, 40 lashes as compared to amputation is, in my mind at least, a real case of leniency.

Then you are aiming at the wrong target. There are plenty of muslims in the UK and no one gets lashed or limbs cut off over here.

I would suggest that the problems lies with political islam. Religion has no place in politics and makes it worse wherever it crops up. You've just got to look at isreal / palistine to see it.

As for anti-Zionist Jews, they exist but at a low single digit percentage.

Based on the fact i've met two without even trying i doubt the numbers are this low. Granted the fact i met these jews in practically a secular state (the UK - yes i know we have a church of england but we all ignore it so it doesn't count) means i've been selecting in favour of those jews who don't think that their god given right to a small piece of land both surrounded and occupied by people that hate them justifies violence and war, but even so. There are plenty of jews in this country and plenty of muslims and somehow they all get along most of the time which says something about how state religion can affect racial and religious tensions.

Got a pretty good internet friend who's an anarchist Muslim Japanese-American. Needless to say, he draws from some heterodox interpretations of many passages in the Koran. ;)

I'm pretty sure that saying "Muslims are X" is about as useful as saying that Xians are "X". ~85 percent of Americans are Xian and 1/3 of the world that Catholic variant. What do they all share?

ebola

^ I love meeting people like your friend, with idiosyncretic [sic] philosophical, political, and spiritual beliefs, that don't clearly fall into one 'camp'. Even if some of the conclusions they draw are bizarre, talking to them is never boring, and I respect the fact that they don't just jump on bandwagons, but actually think about issues.

If you affiliate yourself with a group, even in name only, are you personally accountable for the collective deeds of all others who've flown the same flag? Even more intriguing, when an ideological group shares a common name but no common leadership or chain of command, can there ever be accountability at the group level, for what individuals do in the name of the group and its ideology?

During my time here, I've seen a couple people professing a belief in Islam come and go. They don't tend to post much or stay long, but I've always been impressed at their willingness to even entertain a website like this and what it stands for, when they must be under so much group pressure from the Wahhabi steamroller to stay the hell away. I've always gotten a good, openminded vibe from them.

The "Hadit'" (Hadith is the usual English transliteration)

Actually, hadith is a more accurate transliteration than hadit (or even hadit', which suggests a glottal stop at the end) because in the arabic الحديث the last letter is a Tha' not a Ta'.

Bumping to avoid prune.... cautiously. It seems we have accumulated more islamophobes in the time since this thread sunk away. Mods on alert - if you chose to post below this line, consider this your warning to be civil or you'll get infracted.