View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

musical instruments and trippin!!!

psychobassslapper

Greenlighter
I was curious if any of yall are musicians and if tripping ever helped your musical creativity?? I have heard that most of our great classic rock came from psychedelics (dur... why is it called "psychedelic" music) and was wondering if any of you are musicians and if you have had any creative breakthroughs???? Personally I play guitar, mandolin, and learning upright bass (rockabilly/psychobilly) slap style... just curious if any real breakthrough/inspiration has come, and how did you achieve it!!!???

Funny this thread was on here because I am tripping right now on some 2c-i/meph/methylone and I spent the last 2 hours writing music for both the guitar and the keyboards. I just listened to what I recorded a few minutes ago, and I can tell that tripping definitely makes me more creative.

Drumming on acid is always fun. I find drumming to be already very psychedelic on its own, in the sense that both psychedelic drugs and percussion can induce a trance and put you into a creative state of mind. Combining drumming and psychedelics can synergize well if you're having a clear minded trip.

Here's an excerpt from Danny Carey (drummer from Tool)'s "authentic" bio ;)

"Despite not becoming a Mason or aligning himself with any other school of religion, Danny has maintained his heritages interest in occult studies. Endeavors into this realm have manifested periodically, such as the time he achieved insight into a hidden aspect of the unicursal hexagram utilizing an astral journey initiated through meditation and DMT. Danny then set up his drums into proportions utilizing the circle and square of the New Jerusalem and uttered a short prayer relating to the principles of the ace of swords from the book of Thoth. He then performed a ritual utilizing his new found knowledge of the unicursal hexagram to generate a pattern of movement in space relating to Fuller's vector equilibrium model. The resulting rhythm and gateway summoned a daemon he has contained within "the Lodge" that has been delivering short parables similar to passages within the Book of Lies."

Last edited:
pot helped me write music in my head, it would just sorta come to me whenever the room was silent.

mushrooms taught me how to pull a message and powerful emotional vibe out of every song that exists. it might not be intentional from the artist but, that's not the point, it's all self interpretation that matters. one that stands out is "Imagine" by John Lennon, i fucking gushed to that song.

Robitussin, well, all Robitussin told me was "listen to these sounds! they sound weird! WEEEEEEIRD! crack squeek shukushuku PLOW!"

oh and they never helped me play an instrument, no way, if anything they made it impossible.

Though I do remember drumming on meth and thinking I was fucking phenomenal. I can't drum worth my life.

I was curious if any of yall are musicians and if tripping ever helped your musical creativity?? I have heard that most of our great classic rock came from psychedelics (dur... why is it called "psychedelic" music) and was wondering if any of you are musicians and if you have had any creative breakthroughs???? Personally I play guitar, mandolin, and learning upright bass (rockabilly/psychobilly) slap style... just curious if any real breakthrough/inspiration has come, and how did you achieve it!!!???

Yeah. Shrooming definately helps creativity but also physical skills and teqniques are easy to refine and you can eaily brak bad old habbits and have breakthroughs. I have on drums and they stick with you forever to some extent. Its helped my chops a bit its cool. I haven't gotten to play other instruments much on other psyches.

My most memorable musical moments were while tripping most magnificently. Nothing quite like tripping the light fantastic with a guitar in your hands.

I find that it allows you to play subconsciously, ya dig? No second guessing, no rational thought really. It allows me to combine everything I've learned into an effortless piece of beauty.

And when there are other people you are playing with you get that crazy cross-trip musical language going on. It's pretty much the only way to travel.

Man this thread makes me wish I was musically inclined and able to play some sort of instrument. Honestly if I could play an instrument i'm sure I would devote a portion of each of my trips to play music.

^^ Start off with a djembe! For those that don't know, they are really cool "bongos" with a hollow bottom for getting a deep bass sound. Great accessory for any trip, and a great introductory instrument!

i have worked on my music once on mushrooms and it for sure gave my song a different feel - in a good way! :)
using my cubase software was confusing though and i didn't get a lot recorded..

hey help!?!? its never ever too late to learn bro!

on my last mild dxm trip i was playing my mandolin and it sounded out of this world.... i'm going to try to write some music next time

Last edited:
I find that it makes better music sound better and worse music sound worse, so when I'm jammin on the keys it comes out sounding much better because I'm more in tune to what sounds better to me.

^^ Start off with a djembe! For those that don't know, they are really cool "bongos" with a hollow bottom for getting a deep bass sound. Great accessory for any trip, and a great introductory instrument!

Seconded! Djembes are fantastic.

The action of hand-drumming just feels so right. I once had the pleasure whilst on acid; it was as if my body knew how to do it from ages past (which smells of an evolutionary pathway) and that I was simply doing something humans have been doing since the ages before civilisation. It felt so primal. I was completely attuned to it, as if my body and the drum were playing by themselves and I wasn't contributing - and yet I still consciously had the ability to choose the sounds they made.

It was glorious!

i havent had a chance to trip solo with my electric guitar around, or a synthesizer, but im sure i could do great things

LSD is great for music prodction,it makes my head one big hi-end freqency analyzer,every single hertz is percieved with crazy intensity,sounds I would normaly dont even hear are on acid very "visible".It enhances concentration to the point where I can browse my brain like pc hardrive,cant explain it very well but it helps you with making music.Ganja is great too,it have little bit of that "ultimate bio freqency analyzer" quality like acid but its main advantage is ridiculious fantasy boost,your mind dive into infinite ocean of beats & basslines and you just take the most beautiful one.

Seconded! Djembes are fantastic.

The action of hand-drumming just feels so right. I once had the pleasure whilst on acid; it was as if my body knew how to do it from ages past (which smells of an evolutionary pathway) and that I was simply doing something humans have been doing since the ages before civilisation. It felt so primal. I was completely attuned to it, as if my body and the drum were playing by themselves and I wasn't contributing - and yet I still consciously had the ability to choose the sounds they made.

It was glorious!

Sounds like a Jungian archetype. Percussion was the first instrumentation, so it may be ingrained within our collective psyche and seem natural and instinctive, yet creative.

I love music because of the irony. Music is a mixture of theory which is structured, mathematical and measured, and creativity which is abstract, free and novel. The combination, which is music, is as good a representation as any yin-yang.

Man this thread makes me wish I was musically inclined and able to play some sort of instrument. Honestly if I could play an instrument i'm sure I would devote a portion of each of my trips to play music.

LOL well then learn how to play one, ya lazy ass! :D

All it takes is an hour (or even less) every day of playing around with your instrument and having fun.

You don't need to learn any musical theory at all, or even learn how to read musical notation, to learn how to play music. That's a myth perpetuated by wrinkly old parochial-school music teachers.

Buy an instrument-- experiment with sound, have fun, try different note combinations, find out what sounds good to you. Pretty soon your hands will start going where you want them to, then they'll keep going there faster and faster with more practice. Before you know it, your musical fluency will increase and you'll find yourself being able to express musical ideas that are spontaneous and exciting. You will surprise yourself. :)

But FFS don't just shoot yourself in the foot and never learn how to play, its one of the most rewarding endeavors you could ever undertake! :) <3

I'm no drummer (usually tinker with guitar/electronics) but all the talk in this thread about drumming, especially hand drums, with psychedelics is spot on. My experiences with combining the two has made me want to explore that realm for sure. It can really make playing music so much more visceral and it's even left a mark on my playing with other instruments. <3

I learned how to play djembe and guitar at the same time while I was tripping.
It was because I was playing guitar and I was really craving some rhythm, but no one in the group felt confident enough to play djembe so I felt forced to play both guitar and djembe at once. That was the first time I thought to do that, and I have been getting better at this technique now that I'm not tripping.
It was really fun.