View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Music appreciation on LSD vs DXM vs DPH vs Cannabis

JCRG

Greenlighter
This question arose whilst talking with a friend, after reading how "x" drug enhances music appreciation, how "y" substance adds more "layers", how "z" stuff gives more sense to music, etc etc etc.

Personally, I've found that THC makes me enjoy genres that I normally despise (like country music, rancheras/norteñas [Northern Mexican Crap] and the such); whilst LSD makes music very stereo-esque and detailed (kinda hard to explain). I had a brief experience with DPH, which gave me a bit of synesthesic hallucinations: I found that I would see on shiny surfaces some sort of oscilloscope visualizations that would move in rhythm with the music (like some sort of audio analyzer).

So I would like to hear from you guys, what differences/similarities do you find in regards to music appreciation under the influence of specific substances and/or combinations?

Last edited:
I find that cannabis makes music better overall but LSD actually enhances the audio and makes any music extremely enjoyable

MDMA is definitely the best for me, not only for dancing but even when I'm alone it's like the music is fucking resonating through me

LSD adds to the rhythmic nature of the music for me. Anything with complicated rhythms really hit hard. my favorites to listen to on LSD is romantic period piano ,Specifically Frederic Chopin, West Coast Jazz, and for whatever reason Psychadelic/Noise Rock artists like METZ and Night Beats to name a couple . Idk why but the drums always speak to me.
Marijuana in my opinion does turn me on to things i usually wouldnt listen to but ive found my go to is 90's Hip Hop. Artists like Nas, Biggie, Wu-tang, Black Sheep, Tribe called Quest, De la, the list goes on.
Most other substances dont have a huge effect of music for me. LSD is the only one id say has a profound effect. Marijuana just makes everything better no matter what it is.
This is really interesting though Ive always thought about this

I am finding that LSD greatly enhances my appreciation for instrumental type music . Lately I have been playing Weather Report , Tubular Bells , Yes , Leo Kottke , Jorma Kaukonen - "Quah " , etc , more than I usually would do .

Oh yes , I was totally blown away by Chicago 2 , after dusting it off and playing while tripping recently ..... there is just so much great old music out there ; but I guess good music does'nt age - it is timeless and always good ...

For me cannabis just makes music more enjoyable in general, if your tolerance is low it can also make the songs seem emotionally meaningful even if they're really not. LSD makes music sound much more crisp, layered, and profound. On LSD I hear/notice things that you'd never heard in a song you'd listened to thousand times before. Mushrooms enhace your appreciation for music but makes it sound very alien. MDMA makes music sound better, WAY BETTER. So intense you can feel it throughout your body. Amphetamine makes music mildly more enjoyable, but in a difficult way to describe. You can just get very 'into the music' on speed.

DXM is great for tuning into the vibrations
A good DXM trip is certainly capable of giving you music euphoria right up there with anything else, DXM trips are unpredictable though and can be dysphoric as often as they are euphoric.

I agree that cannabis puts you into the music like nothing else, but it can't make music as crisp, layered, or heavenly as the 5-HT psychedelics.

Nitrous oxide combined with a psychedelic (2C-B is a great one) might have a more startling and profound effect on music than any other state of mind I've been in though.

I'd like to try all of them together (low dose of DPH) and listen to some classical music for sure....DXM really turns me on to trance as does acid

I vote DXM for music enhancement over ALL other drugs. and by far. far better than lsd or mdma. goes best with any up beat type of music. for the euphoria. and every other aspect. thank god its legal.

for stuff you already are into though.

as far as appreciating other genres you normally don't listen to....i don't know whats best for that good question.

I vote DXM for music enhancement over ALL other drugs

Fascinating.....I'd wager that this opinion is relatively uncommon. From my experience, I honestly can't imagine music sounding or feeling any better than when on MDMA.....that's just the way my brain works. It's so interesting how all of our chemistries are unique and individual!