• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ [Mushrooms Subthread] Different Strains & Cultivation

Its very possible that he gave me wrong information.

But I know codeine will metabolize into morphine, but that doesnt mean that morphine isnt already in the poppy. Maybe its a similar story.

I am reading that some Panaeolus have psilocybin, but some just have the psilocin?

Erowid said:
Chemistry #
The primary effects of mushrooms come from several active alkaloids they contain; the most common are psilocybin, psilocin, and baeocystin. Psilocybin is a more stable compound than psilocin, but is broken down into psilocin after ingestion.

Erowid said:
Panaeolus subbalteatus is an entheogenic fungi which contains the psychomimetic indole alkaloids psilocybin, psilocin and baeocystin

Quick little search through erowid gave me this.

There are a bunch of different varieties of psilocin though. He was explaining that even though it didnt turn blue (A typical marker that separates psilocybin from non recreational mushrooms) that these were still good and rich in psilocin.

I kind of wish these obscure mushrooms would become more popular and available outside of where they grow wild.

Cubensis and liberty caps are awesome, but these are just more fun and silly in a different way....kind of like rolling, but just happy and feel good without the touchy feely and more of a opiate like buzz than a speedy one, and yet you laugh and giggle.

haha I was just put off by the guides explanation that psilocin "makes you laugh" I guess :)

Havnt you ever just started to grin like the Cheshire cat uncontrollably on shrooms?

Havnt you ever just started to grin like the Cheshire cat uncontrollably on shrooms?

Yeah haha in fact the one time I've done them I literally laughed my fucking ass off for at least four hours straight. It just sounded like you meant that he said that chemical is soley responsible for the laughter lol.

Yeah, its never just one thing and its also the individual and the setting. However, some shrooms are a lot more silly and laughy and others are more strange and somber but in a cool Halloween kind of way. Ive heard speculation that the balance of psilocybin, psilocin, and baeocystin might be responsible for this.

Yeah, its never just one thing and its also the individual and the setting. However, some shrooms are a lot more silly and laughy and others are more strange and somber but in a cool Halloween kind of way. Ive heard speculation that the balance of psilocybin, psilocin, and baeocystin might be responsible for this.

Ah I see, I just figured that the fun, humorous, playful trips were just a result of proper set and setting with a mind that doesn't really need an intense spiritual trip at the time :) haha. But that makes much more scientific sense.

Ah I see, I just figured that the fun, humorous, playful trips were just a result of proper set and setting with a mind that doesn't really need an intense spiritual trip at the time :) haha. But that makes much more scientific sense.
No, your explanation makes much more scientific sense; since a lot is known (scientifically) about the psychology of the impact of expectations on experienced mood, whereas there is - as far as I know - no scientific evidence for the the different combinations of chemicals in different psilocybe mushrooms having different subjective effects.

The only thing I could find about the psilocybin/psilocin amounts is that of the more potent panaeolus, P. cyanescens was found to contain high levels of psilocin and no psilocybin by researchers in 1966. But more recent studies have shown the opposite. That species is subtropical though. Another species, P. cambodginiensis, contains about equal amounts of psilocybin/psilocin at .55%/.6%. Again, this species should not be found in Shasta as it is subtropical and found in cambodia and the asian subtropics

Other than that all other panaeolus seem to follow a low-to-moderate psilocybin to a very low-to-non-existant psilocin amount. The species P. acuminatus (which grows temperatein regions) contains no psilocybin or psilocin but does contain serotonin, 5-hydroxytryptophan, and tryptophan. P. subbalteatus contains variable amounts (weak-to-moderately active) of psilocybin/psilocin, but also contain serotonin and 5-hydroxytryptophan.

Any idea what species you are collecting?

I don't think so. If someone gives you a mushroom and says "This is a laughy giggly mushroom" then you'll probably find it laughy and giggly. If someone gives you the same mushroom and tells you "This is a sombre mushroom" then you'll probably find it sombre. Owsley once made up a batch of acid and then put the same acid on green, red and purple blotters. Within a week he was hearing "The green blotter acid is righteously mellow, the red is a bad trip and the purple is giggly".

Psilocybin has a vast range of effects depending on your mood, the weather, how you slept the night before. The same mushroom can cause vastly different effects in the same person from one week to the next.

I really dont believe that its all suggestion. Its ok if you believe that though. I have no proof of this, but anecodtal reports have lead some people to believe that there is a chemical basis for the compulsion to grin and laugh and it has more to do with one of those chemicals than the other....not a scientific fact, but a totally plausible and more technical explanation.....I mean, if it was all suggestion then why wouldnt other drugs entirely have the same effect? For most people, most drugs dont give you the grins like that...maybe Salvia makes some people laugh. And not everyone who does E will find themselves in a cuddle puddle, but I would say there is a chemical reason why E is more likely to get people to do that than speed is. Not just suggestion or state of mind.

Just because something hasnt gone through double blind placebo controlled studies doesnt mean it isnt true. It just means it hasnt been conclusively proven yet in a controlled setting.

Nobody ever told me which shrooms were going to make me grin. It always just surprised me.

We are talking about the ones from mount Shasta.

Just because something hasnt gone through double blind placebo controlled studies doesnt mean it isnt true. It just means it hasnt been conclusively proven yet in a controlled setting.

Nobody ever told me which shrooms were going to make me grin. It always just surprised me.

You can test it yourself - simply capsule up two different types of mushroom and then ask a friend to give you the capsules. I've done it myself - you can never tell which is which.

The trouble is if you've had a giggly time on one mushroom and then you know you're taking the same mushroom again then you think "This is going to be giggly". Placebo is very powerful.

first time grower

i'm trying to move away from pills and powders, so i've decided to do more psychedelics. over the past few years i've tripped about 30 times or so, maybe closer to 50 if you count dxm in with shrooms and acid. the trouble is, they're really hard to acquire where i am so i've decided to grow a cubensis strain. i've decided to follow erowid's guide to growing. has anybody tried growing them this way? any tips or suggestions? thanks in advance!

sorry if this is supposed to go in the mushroom subthread.

Go with the grow bags and some spore syringes, its fool proof and there is little chance for contamination. Their are some very good sites out there that will teach you all about growing mushrooms. Most important thing is avoiding contamination!

i was thinking about buying pre-made sterile grow jars for the first batch, just so i know what they're supposed to look like. i'm going to have to be crafty about the syringes cuz i live in california, so i'll have to have those sent to a friend in nevada or arizona, boo.

Psilocybin has a vast range of effects depending on your mood, the weather, how you slept the night before. The same mushroom can cause vastly different effects in the same person from one week to the next.

Absolutely. I had a large amount of cubes (That was oh so long ago!) and each dose from the bag was different, depending on who I was with, how much I took, and what we ended up doing.

Hi.

This is my 2nd time growing shrooms. The first time years ago yielded nothing but this time I followed every step and used advanced sterilization technique. So far many of my cakes look very promising! (see picture below)

However, despite having built an incubator keeping the temperature at a steady 86F it took almost 4 weeks for the mycelium to colonize and its not even ready to put in the fruiting chamber yet.

I suspect that either my water/rye mix wasnt in the good proportion or that I didnt use enough spore solution. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone know what yield I should expect (approximately) with 300g rice cakes, Psilocybe A strain

Here are pics of 2 of my jars. 4 more are at the same level, 2 others have some visible mycelium but only the size of a quarter. the 2 others are contaminated.

Jar 1/10
IMG_3264.jpg

Jar 2/10
IMG_3262.jpg

Last edited: