Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mushroom Oxidization

OntarioGuy

Bluelighter
Hey guys.

So I had a friend mail me some psilocybe cubensis. He chopped them up for some reason, he's not very chemically inclined, and by the time I got the 7 grams the powder was a DARK blue. The resulting tea was very dark blue. I made tea with the whole 7 grams. 3 steeps and drank. I got 0 effect. And I mean 0. Not even any stomach issues which I almost always get with psilocin and it's esters.

Now I had taken 50 mgs of 4 ho met about 6 days prior. But I'm assuming I should have at least got threshold effects, as all my friends from where they came from say they are of excellent mind bending hyperspace visiting quality.
Do you guys think that the actives oxidized to inactive? Is that possible? That'd be my hunch as the shroom powder was so very insanely blue. They were in a simple zip lock bag and sat in the mail for about 9 days.

I have 3 and a half 100 micrograms blotters of ETH LAD. It's now Sunday morning where I am and I ate the bunk mushrooms on Wednesday morning. I'm thinking the eth lad should work if I didn't really ingest any active tryptamines in the tea. Seeing as I find ETH LAD almost 2x as strong as LSD 25 I wonder if I can trip.....or if I should just wait for my 5 grams of 4 HO MET and mix the 2. .....ugh I wish those oxidized mushrooms didn't ruin the ability to judge my tolerance. What a waste

Thanks for any responses guys and gals

Last edited:
The blue stuff usually indicates the psilocybin and psilocin in shrooms, the more blueish color, the more likely you would have a strong trip. 6 days is enough to eliminate any cross tolerance. you can chop up shrooms all you want, they won't lose their strength. and 9 days won't turn your shrooms to completely unaffective either. There is a strong cross tolerance but since you didn't notice anything you shouldn't have any tolerance at all. I can only think of two reasons, either these shrooms were the wrong strain or you are on medication like anti-psychotics that would nullify it's effects.

I rarely buy shrooms anymore since ive had bunk ones many times.
Ive observed that if you dry them and throw in the freezer they will last for years.

But i suspect most people are stupid and just keep them in room temp for long periods.
Thats the only explanation i have since it happened at least 5times.
Cubes, libs and copelandia once.
Are were basicly bunk.

But every time ive grown my own or picked liberty caps i put them in the freezer once dry.
And I never had issues.
But everytime

They were cubensis that app my friends said were good. I ended up taking 350 mics of eth lad yesterday evening and had good experience. So 3-4 days after ingesting 7 grams of mushrooms I felt like I had 0 tolerance.

So the bluing is one of those things many don’t understand. The bluing happens when the psilocin degraded into an inactive substance that I forget the name of at the moment.

Most hippies will see super blue mushrooms and think, “oh those are going to be bomb.” Yes it is an indicator of legit mushrooms but not potent ones as your seeing a lot of the product degraded.

This isn’t the case for every species of psilocybin mushrooms but most all the common ones. Cubensis, the most common street mushroom, is highly effected by this as about half its content is psilocin. This is why fresh cubensis are way better.

Other species with higher psilocybin to psilocin ratios (like some of the wood lovers) aren’t so effected by the bluing.

And a few species have bluing that isn’t related to psilocin degradation at all.

To support this I once tried a really shitty experiment where I bought some cubensis that had almost no bluing, and some that were damn near black they were so blue. The batch with almost no bluing were much more potent after trying them both.

In summary, a little bluing is good to help indicate legit mushrooms but too much is often a sign of degraded psilocin.

-GC

The blue stuff usually indicates the psilocybin and psilocin in shrooms, the more blueish color, the more likely you would have a strong trip. 6 days is enough to eliminate any cross tolerance. you can chop up shrooms all you want, they won't lose their strength. and 9 days won't turn your shrooms to completely unaffective either. There is a strong cross tolerance but since you didn't notice anything you shouldn't have any tolerance at all. I can only think of two reasons, either these shrooms were the wrong strain or you are on medication like anti-psychotics that would nullify it's effects.

The blue coloration usually comes from oxidized psilocin. When the shroom's tissue is damaged, enzymes are released, which will catalyze the rapid degradation of psilocin. The same processes will also occur over time without an enzymatic catalyst, especially if exposed to moisture, air and light.

Yeah, if a freshly picked mushroom immediately turns blue that generally indicates a high alkaloid content, but the problem is that the psilocin-to-psilocybin ratio varies depending on things like species/strain, age and growth environment of the mushroom.

As G_Chem said, if your mushroom contains mostly psilocin and little psilocybin (psilocybin being far more stable in the long term), it is going to immediately show strong bluing, yet there will be a drastic decrease in potency once it has been dried, as by that point it's mostly just the psilocybin that remains.

Also, if the mushroom was not kept properly cool and dry, it is possible for a significant portion of the psilocybin to have been hydrolyzed into psilocin, which would contribute to the bluing over time.

Last edited:
Very interesting, this information is mostly all new to me. So in which way could you store mushrooms the best? Package them really well and put them in my fridge? Summer is really finally begun in my country and I can't seem to get the heat in my place to go lower than 25 celsius. I'm kind of worried because I plan to start a new grow of mushrooms soon an that they might lose potency while still in the process.. Any advice?

dry them out with dessicant and put in them in a airtight jar with a dessicant packet

dessicant? Sorry this is my second language and i'm to lazy right now to look it up :/

desiccant or sicilia gel it absorbs moisture and water out of everything even the air which makes the shrooms cracker dry. You can also use espoms salts that have dried out in a oven

Also a food dehydrator, when I grew shrooms in the past, I used a dehydrator at the low temp setting, it basically blows warm air over them until they're totally dry. When they snap when you bend them, they're "cracker dry" and are totally dried out. Then put them in a jar with silica gel and keep it airtight, they'll last for years.

If your fridge has a self defrosting system. Which is basicly also a freeze dryer. You could use that technic to dehydrate them, with the benefit of low temp.

I usually just put them on a paper on one of general heating devices for the room temperature. Works quik and effective.

I usually just put them on a paper on one of general heating devices for the room temperature. Works quik and effective.
Freeze drying techniques is for the purists Aeon Psyche.

In paper bag on a dish placed on the central heating system indeed work's out fine is my experience. Keeps well for at least a year, kept dark at room temp.

i never tried unfreezing my freezer : / I need it to stay cold as fuck for other irrelevant reasons.

OP also took a pretty good size 50mg dose of metocin only ABOUT 6 days prior. I know for me at least, that would hugely dampen any subsequent trip taken within the week. For optimal response, most feel two weeks is needed. I would guess it was a bit of both: degradation of psilocin and the recent 4-ho-met trip. But it also sounds like you are just hard like that — taking 350 mics of eth-lad. Your face must have been removed on that one, no doubt.
A third, crappy possibility is that they were faked with food coloring, and were edibles. Just putting that there as it’s happened before, albeit rarely.

Oops, just saw who that OP is: OntarioGuy! I know from your posts you’re plenty experienced, so reconsidering, it also may have cooked in the bag, laying in a postie’s truck in the sun. In any case, here’s to your next mushie trip being successful!