• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Mushroom experience has changed.

Phoenix_rising

Bluelighter
Over 20 years ago I used to pick psilocybe semilanceata (liberty caps.) They were absolutely incredible and gave the best experience. I never had any issues with those magic mushrooms at all,they felt incredibly clean.

Now fast forward 20 odd years. I've been taking Cubensis that were grown in a monotub and these fuckers have produced side effects that I've never experienced before. Noticable gastric issues producing the stinkyest farts,muscle aches,reddening of the face,prickly skin which is reminiscent of a histamine release and a general feeling of being slightly poisoned. Friends who have had the same mushrooms report no I'll effects.

Can taking different strains of psilocybe mushrooms differ so much in effects? Or is it something to do with me? Has my physiology changed in the passage of time?

I've taken these mushrooms on several occasions and they seem to produce the same side effects every time. Maybe it's to do with addiction,back when I was younger I wasn't an addict. It's very strange. If this is how they effect me now then I'll have to stop taking them.

Maybe you have developed more allergies to them try drink the tea?. Some have different akaloids in them but i dont know much about it i just eat the patches i can find of our typical strain which is a wood lover and gives me paralysis type feelings at large doses and very pins and needles. Cubensis grows in cowshit so probably some bacteria that would affect you. I would clean them and boil them hard in a tea to make sure dangerous stuff is killed off.

Two possibilities...

1) It is indeed the cubensis, many report more negative side effects with that species over any other.

2) You’ve developed a mushroom allergy which can occur to anyone randomly with both regular edibles and psychoactive mushrooms. The allergy is characterized a lot how you describe, you could learn whether it’s this or not by eating other edible mushrooms or psychedelic ones (in low careful dose) to see if a histamine reaction occurs.

-GC

Mushrooms fuck me up dude. The trips seem to be very unpredictable unlike with LSD where I know what to expect (some psychedelic junkies might disagree with me.)

I just have come to appreciate the fact that mushrooms will make me forget who I am for a while and be prone to severe parnoia. It's part of the fun. Honestly just sounds like the mushrooms didn't grow healthily--don't take anymore lol.

Over 20 years ago I used to pick psilocybe semilanceata (liberty caps.) They were absolutely incredible and gave the best experience. I never had any issues with those magic mushrooms at all,they felt incredibly clean.

Now fast forward 20 odd years. I've been taking Cubensis that were grown in a monotub and these fuckers have produced side effects that I've never experienced before. Noticable gastric issues producing the stinkyest farts,muscle aches,reddening of the face,prickly skin which is reminiscent of a histamine release and a general feeling of being slightly poisoned. Friends who have had the same mushrooms report no I'll effects.

Can taking different strains of psilocybe mushrooms differ so much in effects? Or is it something to do with me? Has my physiology changed in the passage of time?

I've taken these mushrooms on several occasions and they seem to produce the same side effects every time. Maybe it's to do with addiction,back when I was younger I wasn't an addict. It's very strange. If this is how they effect me now then I'll have to stop taking them.

Hi, Phoenix Rising...

Those cubensis effects seemed to change for me over time.

Hard to quantify the reason.

33 years ago, this very week, was my most intense run with them, ever.

I’ve had the gut-churning, and reportedly HORRIBLE breath with them.

Yah, try making tea.

Recalibrating dosage levels will be a good exercise.

I “overdosed” for being out in public, on tea once. -City setting, party. “Gahhhh...oh fuck, the waves of vibes coming off of these humans is gonna DROWN me... HELP MR.WIZARD!!! glub-glub-glubbb...”

It can knock your knees-out from under you, in my experience.

Bland food, a few hours earlier than dosing time may help.

I like B-12 along for my nerves.

The last time I did them, in 2001, a menacing, very lucid visitation by an ancient Chinese warrior, rather dissuaded me from further visits “out-there” with that stuff. -For now.

It evolves, yeah... more palpable “mystical” experiences in an “earth grounded” realm open up on mushrooms, for me, than do with other psychedelics.

Everybody’s physiology, psych mainframe, and evolutionary pathway is different though.

Acid is somehow more energetic, with an option of a more objective view, as in: “oh, yeah, now my mind is doing this...” for me.

The mushrooms grab me in a more physical, often overwhelming, and spiritually compelling way.

The physical “grip” is more intense.

Make sense?!

In short: The trip with mushrooms changed over time. -Yes.

Best in your Quest...

Bryan in Seattle

Hi, Phoenix Rising...

Those cubensis effects seemed to change for me over time.

Hard to quantify the reason.

33 years ago, this very week, was my most intense run with them, ever.

I’ve had the gut-churning, and reportedly HORRIBLE breath with them.

Yah, try making tea.

Recalibrating dosage levels will be a good exercise.

I “overdosed” for being out in public, on tea once. -City setting, party. “Gahhhh...oh fuck, the waves of vibes coming off of these humans is gonna DROWN me... HELP MR.WIZARD!!! glub-glub-glubbb...”

It can knock your knees-out from under you, in my experience.

Bland food, a few hours earlier than dosing time may help.

I like B-12 along for my nerves.

The last time I did them, in 2001, a menacing, very lucid visitation by an ancient Chinese warrior, rather dissuaded me from further visits “out-there” with that stuff. -For now.

It evolves, yeah... more palpable “mystical” experiences in an “earth grounded” realm open up on mushrooms, for me, than do with other psychedelics.

Everybody’s physiology, psych mainframe, and evolutionary pathway is different though.

Acid is somehow more energetic, with an option of a more objective view, as in: “oh, yeah, now my mind is doing this...” for me.

The mushrooms grab me in a more physical, often overwhelming, and spiritually compelling way.

The physical “grip” is more intense.

Make sense?!

In short: The trip with mushrooms changed over time. -Yes.

Best in your Quest...

Bryan in Seattle

The psychedelic aspect is more or less the same as when I used to take liberty caps,it's the physical side of things that is very different. I never used to have such side effects from liberty's,they felt much better,hardly any body load at all.

I've read about body load differing in certain types e.g wood lovers tend to produce more,but cubensis is a grassland mushroom the same as liberty caps.

This morning I feel fine,but last night was uncomfortable. I love mushrooms and have done for years,but these cubensis,no.

About 5 months ago I wanted a heroic dose,but was apprehensive so took 4 grams instead of 5. I was impatient when the trip manifested and felt I hadn't taken enough,so took another 4 grams,then it really ramped up into the most powerful mushroom trip I ever had.

I lay on my bed listening to M83. Colours began to swirl in front of my eyes until at one point I was blind to the world around me. I tried to get up off the bed but couldn't see anything except geometric patterns and colour and had to feel my way around to get to the toilet. I experienced ego death and started to loop. Even though I knew you can't die from psilocybe mushrooms I thought I had.

I couldn't feel my body and didn't know if I were breathing. I kept trying to ground myself by feeling my lips and nose. I looked out the window to see if the world was still there and could make out lights coming from houses but my vision was still fucked. I tried walking around but ended up back on my bed. The passage of time seemed endless. I believed I was being punished from a higher force (creator of all the is.)

The creator was angry with me for trying to break on through to the other side,to see realms I'm not supposed to and was giving me a lesson. At this point the body load was severe,feeling like flu symptoms. In my mind I was trying to get back to the illusion of reality,to what I know,but every time I tried I ended up back in the loop.

This went on for what seemed an eternity and I was beginning to think I was in my own hell,that I had really died and this was my punishment for taking the construction of the every day reality for granted,for fucking around with things I shouldn't. As the trip started to wane I became aware that the loop had stopped,that creator was giving me another chance and boy was I grateful.

That was the most powerful mushroom trip I ever had. I just wished it was enjoyable. I wanted to see things that others have,like entites or spirit guides. I wanted to experience the glory of all that is and become one with it. Instead it was a journey into my own hell.

You mentioned addiction in your first post - I think this could be a significant factor. I've never had cubensis, but my experiences with Liberty caps definitely changed once I became an opiate addict. I used to love mushrooms, but once I'd crossed that line it was like the mushrooms were telling me to get the fuck out of their space, both physically and psychologically. I've never felt able to return, even though my addiction is now over.

I have read reports of different mushroom strains producing different effects - however it seems to be more related to visuals/bodyload/headspace than what you're describing. I've tried a number of different strains and not noticed this myself. Although it's worth mentioning I don't trip too often anymore and think you'd need to be consuming them quite regularly to notice subtle differences like this. There could be many reasons for what you're experiencing.

While allergies can also develop over time I wonder if this is psychosomatic. Have you tried experimenting with different doses or a microdose to see if the effects change? I can understand that would be difficult as the symptoms your having don't sound too pleasant but it's worth considering.

I have noticed after over a decade of tripping my trips have changed mainly with the integration side of the experience. I have less physical symptoms like gastric/nausea issues nowadays. Omeprazole is good for any gastric symptoms though if dosed prior.

For addiction if you're consuming opiods while tripping I would put it down to the combination.

Set and setting really changes psychosomatic symptoms I find. Having a group trip instead of a solo one, or being outdoors instead of indoors etc can shake the experience up a bit. It can also show the experience or your symptoms in a different light.

There is also another well known shroom forum (discussion, not sourcing) that might be worth having a search or ask on.

Try tea. I've switched entirely to tea and have none of the same negative physical effects I used to experience once in a while when eating them.
Eating them has given me bad gas on most occasions, stomach pain on a few occasions, nausea on some, and I've even puked.

With tea I get none of this.

Mind you, some of what you're describing does indeed sound like an allergic reaction which may or may not be helped by imbibing tea instead.

The psychedelic aspect is more or less the same as when I used to take liberty caps,it's the physical side of things that is very different. I never used to have such side effects from liberty's,they felt much better,hardly any body load at all.

I've read about body load differing in certain types e.g wood lovers tend to produce more,but cubensis is a grassland mushroom the same as liberty caps.

This morning I feel fine,but last night was uncomfortable. I love mushrooms and have done for years,but these cubensis,no.

About 5 months ago I wanted a heroic dose,but was apprehensive so took 4 grams instead of 5. I was impatient when the trip manifested and felt I hadn't taken enough,so took another 4 grams,then it really ramped up into the most powerful mushroom trip I ever had.

I lay on my bed listening to M83. Colours began to swirl in front of my eyes until at one point I was blind to the world around me. I tried to get up off the bed but couldn't see anything except geometric patterns and colour and had to feel my way around to get to the toilet. I experienced ego death and started to loop. Even though I knew you can't die from psilocybe mushrooms I thought I had.

I couldn't feel my body and didn't know if I were breathing. I kept trying to ground myself by feeling my lips and nose. I looked out the window to see if the world was still there and could make out lights coming from houses but my vision was still fucked. I tried walking around but ended up back on my bed. The passage of time seemed endless. I believed I was being punished from a higher force (creator of all the is.)

The creator was angry with me for trying to break on through to the other side,to see realms I'm not supposed to and was giving me a lesson. At this point the body load was severe,feeling like flu symptoms. In my mind I was trying to get back to the illusion of reality,to what I know,but every time I tried I ended up back in the loop.

This went on for what seemed an eternity and I was beginning to think I was in my own hell,that I had really died and this was my punishment for taking the construction of the every day reality for granted,for fucking around with things I shouldn't. As the trip started to wane I became aware that the loop had stopped,that creator was giving me another chance and boy was I grateful.

That was the most powerful mushroom trip I ever had. I just wished it was enjoyable. I wanted to see things that others have,like entites or spirit guides. I wanted to experience the glory of all that is and become one with it. Instead it was a journey into my own hell.

Yazzah, man can I relate to “the loop” and having violated some kind of domain boundary.

Thanks for writing all that stuff Phoenix Rising.

Maybe, us here mere mortals are only SUPPOSED to see just so much.

We get slapped-back for not having incrementally endured the requisite disciplined devotion in a spiritual pursuit?

Psychedelics, entheogens, or whatever you want to call them, definitely unravel some mysteries FAST.

The short-circuiting, and rocket fuel to the edge of an unsustainable orbit, may just be of its own restrictions.

The “one-step-at-a-time” multi life discipline, may just be the working pathway to Divinity.

But, the dazzling show on the short circuit ride, sure is sumpthin’ AIN’T IT?!!!

Yeah, it gets terrifying in the complexities of those realms.

Well beyond my ability to understand.

So: Submission to the “Big Is”, with a whole hearted commitment, is the quandary, or the permanent solution.

I freaked at the challenge, the moment at the door, the eternal question.

My “mind” fought back.

Or, my courage melted in the blinding light.

Haunting stuff, “out there”... along with the same question: “Is it all really just ‘in here’” ?

The edge of psychosis is a place that I have severe respect for.

Why the same themes, and iconography emerge in that exaggerated state, are an ongoing question.

It may all be an illusion, but the same message appears to be always true.

( Just because it’s an illusion, doesn’t mean that it’s not the Truth. )

We just don’t know.

Thanks for reminding me of some stuff, and for being so frank.

Sincerely,
Bryan

I've never found mushrooms to be nearly as clean in purely psychedelic regard as acid, to me this sounds just like pretty regular stuff.

There always seemed to be a great deal of distracting side effects to them, which to me outweigh the psychedelic essence of the experience.

I don't wanna get too weird but the fact that they were cultivated artificially could actually be a factor.

Man now I started thinking about what my next year decision would be and growing some shrooms seems logical I gave up hope a while ago ever since spores stopped arriving I did actually receive it once though a couple of years ago but never had any luck growing, but that's a thread for another forum I guess

Man now I started thinking about what my next year decision would be and growing some shrooms seems logical I gave up hope a while ago ever since spores stopped arriving I did actually receive it once though a couple of years ago but never had any luck growing, but that's a thread for another forum I guess

I understand that it’s kinda’ tricky.

The legality of talking openly about it may have something to do with where on this planet you are.

Careful does it.

John Stamets ( I think ) books could be good.

Best,
-b.

I understand that it’s kinda’ tricky.

The legality of talking openly about it may have something to do with where on this planet you are.

Careful does it.

John Stamets ( I think ) books could be good.

Best,
-b.
...that’s PAUL Stamets... sorry.

JOHN was a photographer.

Seattle Guys.

-b.

Reading about this makes me too greedy yeah it is a pretty complicated process you're supposed to really dive into it to make things happen... I've read some ilustrated pdfs I remember reading it was heavy duty

I have read reports of different mushroom strains producing different effects - however it seems to be more related to visuals/bodyload/headspace than what you're describing. I've tried a number of different strains and not noticed this myself. Although it's worth mentioning I don't trip too often anymore and think you'd need to be consuming them quite regularly to notice subtle differences like this. There could be many reasons for what you're experiencing.

While allergies can also develop over time I wonder if this is psychosomatic. Have you tried experimenting with different doses or a microdose to see if the effects change? I can understand that would be difficult as the symptoms your having don't sound too pleasant but it's worth considering.

I have noticed after over a decade of tripping my trips have changed mainly with the integration side of the experience. I have less physical symptoms like gastric/nausea issues nowadays. Omeprazole is good for any gastric symptoms though if dosed prior.

For addiction if you're consuming opiods while tripping I would put it down to the combination.

Set and setting really changes psychosomatic symptoms I find. Having a group trip instead of a solo one, or being outdoors instead of indoors etc can shake the experience up a bit. It can also show the experience or your symptoms in a different light.

There is also another well known shroom forum (discussion, not sourcing) that might be worth having a search or ask on.

I've not tried microdosing yet,but intended on giving it a go in the new year. I have played around with different doses to see if I still get the side effects and it seems that under a gram I'm ok.

I use Kratom in high doses daily,maybe it could be due to this.. Although when I took the heroic dose I was of Buprenorphine daily,so perhaps it is to do with opiate receptors in general.

Set and setting definitely effect things greatly. The most pleasant trip was a couple of months ago when I had 3.4g. I'd not long switched from Buprenorphine to Kratom and was taking a low dose. I'd gone to the beach at night and felt amazing,really euphoric,listening to music with headphones on. When I got home I still felt good,but started feeling very cold with constant yawning,so got in bed with a thick duvet I continued to have wonderful visuals,quite reminiscent of Ayahuasca.

As the effects started to wane the aches started. Maybe it's down to a culmination of effects like the combination of being an addict,allergy,set and setting.

I've not tried microdosing yet,but intended on giving it a go in the new year. I have played around with different doses to see if I still get the side effects and it seems that under a gram I'm ok.

I use Kratom in high doses daily,maybe it could be due to this.. Although when I took the heroic dose I was of Buprenorphine daily,so perhaps it is to do with opiate receptors in general.

Set and setting definitely effect things greatly. The most pleasant trip was a couple of months ago when I had 3.4g. I'd not long switched from Buprenorphine to Kratom and was taking a low dose. I'd gone to the beach at night and felt amazing,really euphoric,listening to music with headphones on. When I got home I still felt good,but started feeling very cold with constant yawning,so got in bed with a thick duvet I continued to have wonderful visuals,quite reminiscent of Ayahuasca.

As the effects started to wane the aches started. Maybe it's down to a culmination of effects like the combination of being an addict,allergy,set and setting.
Probably shrooms don't feel bothered too much to be coming over because of receptors being like whatever but it's still not like the shrooms don't wanna do that

I’ve been in “the loop”... the “Hell”
thing. Been knocked-over by mushrooms. Maybe you DID see what you needed to see. It’s a very personal, individual thing. The illusion upon illusion with some distant Bell of Truth trying to find you. I dunno. I had to give mushrooms UP. It’s too deep out there for me anymore. Best to ya’ ❤️🌹

I’ve found with mushrooms redosing majorly potentiates the next dose. I found this out the hard way.

Young kid, had a half eighth but only ate like 1.4g. Proceeded to have a good time then went home where I decided to just say fuck it and eat the last .3g.

15mins later we’re chilling and I notice this peculiar sensation at the top of my left pinky. A numbness/tingling but very noticeable. Over the next 15min this feeling slowly climbed up my arm and then covered my entire body. I could hardly move, looked like a hunched over old man, and the numbness had me losing control.

Spent the next 6hrs trying to sleep listening to strong auditory hallucinations of alien languages and persistent aboriginal drumming. Any time I got comfortable the aliens would scream. Learned my lesson on that one big time.

-GC