Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushroom Deaths - Victoria

Sivâ:

Bluelighter
SMH 2/4/02
"One man has died and two others have suffered kidney failure after eating what they thought were magic mushrooms. The cases, all in Victoria, are the first to be reported in Australia where mushroom poisoning caused kidney failure, prompting a warning that doctors should be aware of such poisoning as a possible cause of kidney failure. "
Full article here...

Interesting, i'd love to know what particular species of mushroom they had so i could say the fuck away from 'em if i ever say them! By the way nice Young Ones sig :) .....
translation (Neil):"may the seed of your loin lay fruitful in the belly of your wooman."

It is extremely difficult to properly identify a 'magic' mushroom in the field even for experienced mycologists. There are mushrooms that have an appearance VERY similar to psilocybe cubensis and cyanscens (what is generally referred to as golden tops and blue meanies) but will kill you. Do not risk it unless you REALLY know what you are doing. If you want them, grow them your self from prints which you can get sent over from overseas (altough not strictly legal prints will likely get through to you A-OK).
For those interested spend some serious time at The Shroomery before you attempt anything.
For those who are going to do it anyway at least learn to take a print and know what to look for, it's probably the best indicator of safety for the amateur. Just coz it stains blue doesn't mean it's safe.
PS: ^^^ The answer to a question no-one asked - well I figured since I typed it all out... eh
[ 03 April 2002: Message edited by: --PacmaN-- ]

There is always a warning this time of year (especially after a couple of days or rain).
If you have never picked mushrooms before, I seriously recommend you tag along with someone that is well and truely versed in mushroom identification. There are several online books as well as paper books that show what is what in Aus. Some are not as easily identifiable as others. I also recommend reading about what happens to your body if you get it wrong - you really don't have a long time to live.

I have some mushies that look pretty similar to psilocybe cyanscens growing in my backyard, and I have been very tempted to munch them down. After reading this though I have decided that they only look similar, not identical, so I'll be giving them a miss.
See, bluelight realy does serve its purpose of harm minimisation!
Anyone thinking of picking mushies should AT LEAST take a close look at Magic Mushrooms of Australia and New Zealand
and
Safe-Pik Mushroom Identification Guide.

14.gif
Good advice!
BigTrancer :)

They are pretty cheap compared to pills & other drugs so I don't see why people would risk picking 'em & gamble with their lives.
No wonder they are illegal.
It's not the mushrooms fault, its the sheer stupidity of people.
I have a spore syringe (8 months old) that I didn't end up growing because I'm too lazy, and couldn't find the jars that don't have necks, as well as the ground brown rice & vermiculite - actually I'm just a lazy sod. I usually forget to water my vegetable garden & they end up dying.
I wonder if I can ring a mushroom farm here in NSW and get them to grow it for me for a price. I don't like my money going to Europe all the time. I consume about 30 gm of mexican a month.
It would be much better for our economy if the cultivation of magic mushrooms here in OZ were made legal.
I can attest to the fact that they are growing in popularity very rapidly here in my town. No accidents yet because I always educate people properly about their effects & dangers, and hand out printouts of information.
Be sensible. Life's too precious.

Disco Diablo: Have you found mush. cultivation, difficult? Just say I had a pet kangaroo that had never tried mushroom cultivation but was willing to try. What variety would be a good start and what sort of yield could a novice kangaroo expect?
I think picking them from the wild is a risky buisness if you dont know exactly what your after.
Encouraging home cultivation is definatly an exelent way to reduce mushroom related deaths.

Maybe you and me should start our own magic mushroom cultivation company here in OZ.
They are everywhere in Europe, therefore I don't see why we can't enjoy the same privileges. OZ is the best country in the world but it's laws absolutely suck.
Maybe I should go into politics and give the snotrags a jolt. It's time for a revolution! :b
No doubt, there are probably many home cultivators out there already, but what we need is a mail order service for people too lazy or don't have the time to cultivate themselves.
I've got the instructions, you get them with your order.
The following info is for skippy:
The jar growing method is probably the easiest but there are numerous ways to grow them.
You need jars without a neck so that if you invert it, the vermiculite (a type of garden soil) and the brown rice powder, as well as the mushrooms will pop out easily.
I don't want to type all the instructions, I'll just give you a basic idea.
The jar is prepared with vermiculite & brown rice powder. The jar then gets sterilised, before inoculation (sowing the spores), and then it is incubated in ideal conditions. When the small round fungus growths soon begin to turn yellow, the jar is inverted and the fungus cake removed. The whole process takes about 4 - 6 weeks and I think you can expect about a kilo of mushies.
It really doesn't sound too complex, I just never got to tryng it because I'm too lazy, and because my parents are against smoking and drugs, so I have to respect that. ie. keep my drug use secret !!
I think it is also possible to order a "brick" already prepared which you just pop into an aquarium which is set up to provide the right conditions for the little mushies to grow.
In any case I suggest you just order a small portion first for you to try before jumping into cultivation.
I have tried the Hawaiin, Peruvian and the Mexican. Out of them I have found the Amigos to be the most amusing. lol.
good luck.
--
http://www.mp3.com/disco_diablo - check out my image gallery of ecstasy artworks.
[email protected][/b] - send me cool pics to incorporate in my artworks.

Now is as good a time as any to run this by a few mushroom gurus. Does anyone know of any toxic/poisonous variety of mushroom that looks similiar to this: Sticky, golden cap with slight nipple, dark cap edges, dark brown gills, thin white stalks, but did not snap blue. I found a patch 6 hours south of Perth in an area NOT well known for magic mushies, let alone gold tops. It had been raining heaps, and there were numerous kangaroos (poo) living in the area, which was rich with other fungi also. The mushies had been there for a day or soand were a bit dry, which could explain why they didn't bruise blue. They seemed very similar to gold tops I had picked in the Adelaide hills. But I am no mycologist.. Any thoughts apart from don't take them?

I don't recall the gold tops bruising to a brilliant blue at all, in fact its only after drying that it appears. Folks please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
It is also easy to confuse them with another type which has a dark dark brown nipple rather than a really light sometimes white nipple.

Well... that's kinda like saying "I'm thinking about playing Russian Roulette, any thoughts besides putting the gun down?" -- We surely can't offer advice to take these mushrooms without identifying them properly first, and while your description is comprehensive, I would much rather you relied on first-hand information from an experienced mycologist before taking unidentified mushrooms.
The best harm-minimisation advice in your case is "Don't take them". Other than that - I'd suggest reading through the Mushroom Picking Guide for Australia/NZ that appears in a link above, for ideas.
BigTrancer :)

Thanks for that Disco Diablo, I think you just convinced a hungry kangaroo to grow his own fungus instead of graze in the wild!!!

first off those mushrooms dont sound magic
gold tops will definetely bruise blue, quite easily (even in the field, esp if you snap them).
not intensely tho like blue meanies
also brown gills doesnt sound right
generally
its purple-blackish if spores has dropped. otherwise greyish-white HOWEVER white gills are generally a sign of POISONOUS mushrooms so do not eat shrooms with white-grey gills unless identified by someone who REALLY knows what they're talking about.
also there are literally hundreds upon hundreds of species of mushrooms, and by your description there are hundreds of poisonous mushrooms fitting that description!
on growing:
you will not get one kilo of mushrooms from one jar, from one jar you will get approx 3-6 grams dried. also do not wait for the growth to turn yellow as that means its dying. wait till the whole jar is colonized a lovely pure white colour. any of colours is a sign of contamination = bad!

Thanks for the responses. I had no intention of taking them without verification. I just wanted some general opinions before I chucked them out. They have been sitting in a brown paper bag for the last 6 months....
They did look almost identical to m/m I had picked on a few occasions in the Adel. hills, so I was just hoping I had found an accessable patch.
Pitty you can't get m/m testers...

If you are still unsure about what is what, waltz into your local university that has a biology department.
I was once assisting someone with some field work as part of research at Wilson's Prom, when I found some mushrooms growing that were basically all blue from top to bottom. We picked them (yes we had the appropriate permits for picking plants!) and I took it into the mushroom specilist at Monash University. He got quite excited actually :) and I think ended up sending the spore prints to some well known published author of mushrooms. They ended up being some wierd type but not magic.
If you really have doubts, save some and see if your local uni guru will help out. Biology people tend to be helpful if freaky people if you bring them something of interest ;)

Yep - you're right Soma - biologists are definitely freaks ;)
dtd - the mushrooms that you describe are definitely not magic ones. Psilocybe mushrooms aren't sticky and the gills are a greyish colour that stain blue when crushed.

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can find a willing biologist, although it does sound like mistaken identity.