• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Mucuna pruriens

Ontop

Ex-Bluelighter
Hi all, just a quick question. I was wondering do mucuna pruriens increase dopamine?

Last edited:
Can you be a little more specific please? Are you asking if it's "fun" or are you asking specifically if the herb in question is a Dopamine Agonist of some kind?

Mucuna pruriens contains L-dopa, which is the direct precursor to dopamine synthesis in the body, which skips the rate limiting step, so it can lead to increased amounts of dopamine,. However, it is not recreational. it won't make you feel high or anything. I have found it quite useful, though, for helping to recover from stimulant abuse.

Mucuna pruriens contains L-dopa, which is the direct precursor to dopamine synthesis in the body, which skips the rate limiting step, so it can lead to increased amounts of dopamine,. However, it is not recreational. it won't make you feel high or anything. I have found it quite useful, though, for helping to recover from stimulant abuse.
Thank you. Thats just the answer i was hoping for.

Will this work on anti psychotics? I find I'm able to only get high when it's close to the half life on anti psychotic.

I consider it very useful when you need some potentiation over light adrenergic stimulants like caffeine or even kratom,
and I think it mix very good with ashwagandha and it works very very good when withdrawaling off kratom or having days off/t-breaks.

Hi all, just a quick question. I was wondering do mucuna pruriens increase dopamine?
I'll tell you about my feelings with capsules of mucuna extract 15% l-dopa, there's mucuna powder (I think I would prefer it) and more powerful extracts, but didn't try so I just can explain my experience with mucuna extract , 1-3 capsules a day
I think it makes you stimulated but in a.... dreamy way, so you don't feel more prone to do anything but more like more focused and more "into it" if you are actually doing something, like you were in mind-state similar to how amphetamines start, like the first 2-3 minutes of the come-up, but without the rush, if that makes sense.
I feel that is sliiiiightly psychedelic in the sense that it makes my perception and mind more clear but in a very soft way. I could compare it to a LSA day-after tho more light and less dreamy.
Maybe like some very light 4f-mph experience? like 2-3mg? could be.. It reminds me that style of stimulation and focus, not pushed but consistent and all-encompassing .
Edit: I forgot! it makes more sexual, increasing my libido but in can increase irritability too, but those traits are very "normal" when you're flood with dopamine, it seems that you don't notice it so much in terms of psychoactivity, cause there's no euphoria at all, but there's a feeling of well-being and confidence when taking it that can be very useful. Specially when you feel like crap for whatever reason. I have that feeling of "Buddha smile" : not really euphoric, not really "happy" but serene and content.
Summing up, that's all I could say about mucuna, I think.

Last edited:
How much mucuna pruriens is one supposed to take to get some mild but definitive effects? I recently acquired a bottle of mucuna pruriens standardized to 15% of levodopa and took up to 10 capsules without the slightest hint of effects. Is it even active without a decarboxylase inhibitor like carbidopa which is used in people with Parkinson's?

How much mucuna pruriens is one supposed to take to get some mild but definitive effects? I recently acquired a bottle of mucuna pruriens standardized to 15% of levodopa and took up to 10 capsules without the slightest hint of effects. Is it even active without a decarboxylase inhibitor like carbidopa which is used in people with Parkinson's?
Hi again, some months after...
it's quite active if you find a good batch
I have a "bad batch" or maybe a bad vendor and I don't feel shit with it, it's also 15% levo, but I guess it's not full spectrum or who knows,
mucuna has other stuff in it, not just l-dopa, so maybe they combine well, when someone does a good full spectrum extract, not sure.
For a good vendor capsules, 2 capsules is quite non-placebo, 1 could be noticed, but not always. MIne is 50mg per capsule, so 100mg l-dopa should be noticeable, 150mg very noticeable, but you don't feel a "high", you feel just motivated and wired, there's no subjective euphoria, more like some hypomanic drive.

I tried it a couple of times(velvet bean extract) I passed out both times
How much did you take? Sure the product was legit?

For a good vendor capsules, 2 capsules is quite non-placebo, 1 could be noticed, but not always. MIne is 50mg per capsule, so 100mg l-dopa should be noticeable, 150mg very noticeable, but you don't feel a "high", you feel just motivated and wired, there's no subjective euphoria, more like some hypomanic drive.
Yeah the drive is what I'm looking for, I'm having difficulties learning partially due to untreated ADD and hope for some natural study aid.

Last edited:
How much did you take? Sure the product was legit?

Yeah the drive is what I'm looking for, I'm having difficulties learning partially due to untreated ADD and hope for some natural study aid.
Can't remember how much but I would have looked it up.

It had another effect consistent with Mucuna but can't guarantee that's what they sent

I take the stuff, works ok as a supplement
In my opinion mucuna works if you're DEFICIENT in dopamine, for example:
-if you have ADHD,
-if you abused stims and you're drained out...
-if you're having a real bad time and feeling apathetic as fuck,
-if you're into withdrawals (specifically kratom/opioids)

Then for sure you'll notice something but it's nothing like euphoria or a definite adrenergic push like for example caffeine, phenylpiracetam or yohimbe. I actually prefer it since I feel totally like myself but upgraded, like a supplement should feel.

It's more like: if you feel unmotivated you'll feel less unmotivated, if you have something to do you'll probably take less time to start (typical adhd problems) if you have horrible restless legs or restlessness in general you'll feel more focus and calm, if you're feel super depressed you'll feel less depressed or no depressed at all and so on..

I am of the opinion that "dopamine deficiency" would present as Parkinsonian symptoms and not just feeling burnt out. After all dopamine is required for motor activity...

Also L-DOPA when ingested has very little effect on central dopamine levels, even when it is used to treat Parkinsons it is almost always given with a drug like carbidopa which blocks DOPA decarboxylase outside the brain.
Otherwise, more than 90% of it will be metabolised to dopamine... outside the blood brain barrier, which it cannot cross, and it is rapidly destroyed by MAO in the blood and liver.

Save your money and spend it instead on food and sleep.

I always see the capsules in the health food store. I was wondering if it would help with my depression and anhedonia. I just don't seem to enjoy things as much as I used to. (Of course, numbing myself with drugs and alcohol for 25 years probably killed a few dopamine receptors!)