• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

moving out on my own, living on minimum wage

absent minded

Bluelighter
my parents are going to be kicking me out within the next week. i just got back from a 36 day inpatient rehab program, and they set all of these rules and shit if i was going to stay with them. i am not allowed to hang out with any of my old friends, i have to attend my "continuing care" outpatient for kids that just got out of inpatient, and go to 2 NA meetings a week. every time i do something they don't like, they wave the fact that if i dont follow the agreement, they're kicking my ass out. at the moment i'm working minimum wage and working 40 hours a week. i'm looking at apartments with a friend and we're gonna split rent on a cheap 2bedroom apartment (around 800/mo including utilities). i have places to stay untill we move into the apartment, and so on... the only problem is, i'm 18 years old and i've never lived on my own. to be completely truthfull i'm pretty scared. i cant continue to live in the negative environment i have at home... its a pretty unhappy situation. i'm sure some of you guys at bluelight have been in similar situations. does anyone have some advice for someone thats about to make the big jump? any cheap living tips, advice, anything for a kid about to move out? im gonna try to hit the ground running.. i really want to show my parents i can make it on my own by myself. theyre trying to block me from being independant so i have to come back home and live by their rules, but i think i can do it.

thanks in advance

Shit if i aint been through THIS one before.

I feel you dawg.

First of all, i dont know how you were used to living or how well off you were, obviously the less you had at home the easier its gonna be for you to live on min wage out on your own. it can be hard to get used to tho even when you are used to the money part, not having all the shit you ahd at home like coffee maker, or taoster, or shit like that. small things you take for granted. but either way you get used to it and the longer it is the better you feel cuz ytoure makin it work. heres some shit to start.

1] coupons. use em.
2] store brands. food is food fuck paying 2 bucks extra cuz it got a brand on it, you gotta eat no one said you gotta eat well.
3] if theres a farmer market or fruit truck or somethin like that around you its usually gonna be cheaper than the grocery store. i learned from livin real cheap and living on the run that once your shit starts turning funky colors you need to start eating fruits and veg's again. so even if you jsut get a bag of frozen brocoli to eat it will make you feel much better and be better for your fiber situation lol.
4] everybody knows this one. RAMEN. nuff said.
5] KOOL AID. 10/$1 and a 5-lb bag of sugar for 2, 3 bucks, youll be straight for a week.
6] keep your eye out for sales at the store then u can use the coupons to go with it and get some sick discounts. get one of those store cards too, (food for less, food basix, publix, ShopRite, weis, Kings, mr Z's, etc.) they will get you money off, even if its only 30 cent, it all adds up.
what number am i on now, ,
5?] dont drive when you can walk.
6] no you dont need cable.
7] sell your shit man. you know you got plenty of nice clothes you dont wear that much. you aint gonna care too much trust me. it changes, once you be on your own youre much more concerned with surviving and it all gets in perspective.
8] sell your old playstation games, Cds n shit for loot.
9] WATCH THE LIGHTS! iunnow if youre paying utilities or not but if you are best watch it. dont use a light unless youre in the room. seems basic but alot of people dont do that. i got raised in the "our electric bill needs to be under 30 dollars this month or the powers getting turned off" house so i learned that shit quick.
10] put in those special long lasting lightbulbs, the floursecent ones, they use alot less power and still give you good light. it looks funky but ay its cheaper and more efficient.
11] save your pennies dawg. literally. when u get change, throw it in a can or bowl or wahtever and just leave it be. then take it to the store or bank and roll the quarters and nickels and pennies and shit and get your loot in paper money for a rainy day.
12] dont be scared to be poor man. live humble. live ghetto, whatever, do what you gotta do. if you gotta get furniture from salvation army who gives a fuck all my furniture is from the side of the road that people were throwing out. as long as it aint broken, you good. its cheap or free.
13] rice is the key to fillin your stomach without breakin the bank. you hungry? make a bigass post of rice with butter and salt and cheese if you got it and that shit is so cheap. then if you can get a little bit of meat like chicken or something, youmix it in there and its almost liek a whole meal.
14] if you go to the deli there is usually the ends of the cold cuts. from that day. but when they switch over to the new thing of ham, cheese, or whatever, theres only so far that you can go down on the slicer. so they throw away the ends, but if you go and ask for the ends you cant get them. it aint like theyre dirty or stale or nothign its just that it was too small to keep slicing ( i used to work in one so i know.) you can get them free or for like 50 cents and theyll put it in a little stryofoam tray with plastic wrap for you. they do that in the store by my house. i dont know if you wann go in and ask if it seems weird to you but askin dont hurt.

I got to go now i got shit to do but thats a starter list for ya. ill be back sometime when im bored for more ghetto martha stweart hints

^^

That's a great list of reccomendations. I might be in the same situation too, and it's encouraging to see such a complete list of tips and tricks for slummin' it

make sure you can trust the person you are moving in with.... i made that mistake once and only once after getting fucked over by one of my roomates.

Find a job makin more money :D

What about landscaping and other outdoor/no experience necessay work? I know in my area they hire just about anyone for construction work and such, and it pays better than min wage. Living poor is tough work.

DarthMom said:
Find a job makin more money :D

Thats probably the best thing you can do, or you can start selling something on the side.

Grow marijuana in your closet and/or construct a makeshift meth lab in your bathroom.

When you get the final product, slang that shit nigga.

youarewhatyouis said:
find your local dept of health/dept of social services and apply for food stamps. just say you live in a halfway house(don't tell them you pay rent at an apartment!) and you have no food. stay up the whole night before you go in, and wear some shitty clothes and they'll give em to you.

Homie it really aint that easy to get public assistance.

did you actually try this or is that just your impression of how to get them. i dont know where you live but if they work like that there, shit imma come live with you.

they determine it on income, you cant just walk in and say "im poor" and get them dawg. you got to do paperwork, you got to meet the finiancial guidelines to be eligible for public assistance and theres a process you gotta go thru they dont just hand that shit out or there would be a whole lot more people gettin it.

its kinda funny if you saying it jokingly. but for people who aint out on their ass and really truly needing them to try and catch a easy ride with food stamps, leaving less for peeps who cant go thru day to day on the money they got, thats pretty wack shit. there is the college version of "slummin it" ..."oh im broke lets spend the loot on beer and get some ramen instead" and going to bed hungry because you literally cant afford food.

basically what im sayin is, if you need food stamps you need em so that you can eat, period, not so you can spend less money on food so that you can use what you woulda spent on that for extra spending money you feel?

dont get it twisted i aint saying thats what i think anybodys gonna do or is tryina do, cuz i dont know how youre livin, for all i know you ARE goin to bed hungry. so dont take it like im calling you out on something or dissin you, im just saying if thats how it was, (expploiting food stamps/assistance) more referring to youiswhatyouis' post, try and think a little deeper about it.

either way i hope you can get the aid if you can get it. :)
but imma wwarn you if you wanna talk about section 8, rental assistance, food stamps, etc. there is long ass waiting lists and not always are you even gonna get it after that wait. depending on where you are and your situation. no matter how poor you are theres always somebody poorer doe and the more you live in it the more you notice that, so its hard to get help from the gov. in that area. you might be having no heat in your apt, well theres somebody else with no runnin water you feel? in alot of places you gotta be literally having NOTHING to get gov' assistance, so good luck.

Theres alot of ways to make money doe that aint even illegal. if you got a creative mind youll be making some extra loot on the side. everybody got a hustle.

slanging is easy money and sometimes it can be the only way in a certain situation but you also gotta consider it would be a shitty start on your own to get busted and lose so much money on fines and shit like that. fuck the getting arrested and probbation part, that aint hard. its just that gettin busted is EXPENSIVE dawg 8( :\ so watch your ass and consider that if you gonna think about serving.

youarewhatyouis said:
-find your local dept of health/dept of social services and apply for food stamps. . .

Don't you have to be 25 to apply for food stamp?

No, no age cutoff. You need to meet certain income guidelines that will vary according to how many people live in the household, and whether or not you have dependants, mostly. I'm not certain, but the income level probably varies from area to area.

They will verify your income when you apply. You'll have to take a form to work and get your employer to fill it out. Everyone with a job in the house will have to do this. They will probably want the last two check stubs from work as well.

Its not an immediate process either. I can take a couple weeks. You can apply for emergency food stamps and get them in a day or two though.

well, it worked for me. fort lauderdale florida. all i had to bring is ID and a proof of residency from the halfway house I was living at(covenant house), they gave them to me that day, and I was 18 when I did it. when I moved into this place, the piece of paper they gave me with the rules and regulations (curfew, etc) on it, had specific instructions on how to obtain food stamps. in most big cities with real high poverty, this might not work, but i was fort lauderdale, and well, you get the point. a white boy like me couldnt walk into detroit social services and ask for food stamps without getting laughed at.

and your right lacey, there's probably people who needed them more than me. but if some guy livin on the streets sleeping in a dumpster can't get food stamps because my greedy ass was before him in line, this whole country is fucked. plus, spoiled college kids arent the only ones who spend on shit they don't need to survive. thats just human nature. bottom line, there's nothing wrong with stealing from the government, no matter who you are. government cheese never tasted so good. :)

^^dont get it twisted homie.... Women Infants Children....i dont tthink you are one or have those.

and THATS where the cheese is at. :\

Uh anyways....8(

MOre tips

--Learn to live without A/C. i never had it, if youre living anywhere other than arizona, florida, new mexico, etc then suck it up and deal. its called
1] window fans
2] kiddie pools
3] ice pops.
AC uses so much electirc it aint even funny plus buying one is also expensive.

--you probably want to have a computer and shit but internets expensive. same as cable. if you make friends with the neighbors and they got internet you can always hook it up to theirs. otherwise deal without, it aint too bad yo. plus there is always the library and thats free.

--dont have pets (that one should be obvious but people seem to think its a good idea for some reason not thinking about bein practical)

--remember to have your own laundry detergent and shit for the laundromat. they charge too much at the lil single serve machine. also who needs fabric softener, its maybe3, 4, 5 bucks but thats 5 extra dollars if you dont buy it. dont be a pussy "i need my clothes to be soft wah wah" lol

--wash your dishes by hand dont use the dishwasher (that is if youre paying utlities) it uses less water and energy.

--dont use paper towels, they go way too quick and its a waste of loot. just use regular towels and sponges and dish towels if you gotta dry soemthin up.

--dont buy the fluffy toliet paper. your ass aint that delicate homie lol. nah for real, the fluffy quilted shit only got like 300 sheets on it and the regular bathroom stall, school, or office toilet paper, like the regular ass Scott tissue got like 1000 sheets. lasts much longer. if u run out use the phone book or bible if you get a kick outta that.

--best learn to cut down on your cigarettes smoking (if you do.) that shit eats up money like nothin else, yall know that. "but i want one" too bad. learn to control that. you cant always get what ya want, if you learn to cut down it will help your bank and your health too :)

While the money-saving tips are getting passed out:

Replace your incandescent lights with compact flourescents. Yes, they cost a little more upfront but they will save you money. They don't conert 80% or so of the input energy into heat like incandescents (warming your house a little bit if you have a lot on), and draw less power. A compact flouro that puts out as much light as a 60Watt incandescent will draw something like 15Watts of power. Thats a big difference.

You can bend the float wand in the back of your toilet so that it stops filling with water at a lower level. They rarely need as much water as they actually use.

If you don't have blinds or curtains, find some. The amount of heat they can deflect (in the summer) or hold in (in the winter) is very significant.

Learn to love eating rice, peanut butter, ramen, beans. The stuff is dirt cheap and nutrious (well, except the ramen. but its cheap and fairly high calorie).

SHOP AT WALMART. besides being the cheapest place on earth to get everything that you need, your coupons will work there, too. $2-$3 for a 5lb bag of sugar???? walmart brand is $1.80, and even if you buy dixie crystals for a few cents more, there's coupons for 40c off all the time.

i dont' suggest stealing anything...fruit, cable, etc. you want to show your parents you're responsible? don't steal. well, don't get caught. ;)

otherwise, lacey k comprised a very, very good list for you. in fact, i may have to use some of those suggestions myself.

Well since you're working 40 hours a week, even if it is minimum wage whatever the hell that is (what is it by the way?) it should be enough to cover rent, bills, food and a few cigs and alcohol surely?

I'm in Australia, left home at 17 and never had a big problem, though social security was a massive help for a long time. Since you're working full time I doubt you'd qualify for that no matter where you live. Seriously, isn't minimum wage enough to live on? If it isn't then what the fuck.

All I can say is, like everyone else, rice and pasta are your friend. Buy fresh vegies it's a lot cheaper than frozen or take out. Cook in bulk (it's a lot cheaper) and freeze the rest, you also don't need to cook as often.
Some of the cheap toilet paper is nearly as good as the expensive stuff. Look for number of sheets per roll and you want at least 2 ply.
Definitely don't use A/C or heaters if you can help it they're fuckin expensive, wear less or more layers as the weather suits.
Also definitely use a cheap dial up account you don't need cable if you're not raking it in.

Also, milk crates are great for bookshelves, supporting make shift coffee tables, bedside tables, just drape some material over them and you'd never know. Salvos and 2nd hand shops have a lot of furniture and cooking implements that are cheap and not too bad.

But mostly, don't be stressing. Moving out should prove to be incredibly fun. If you trust the person you're moving out with to pay their share of utilities and rent then you can ignore the fact they steal your food and never buy toilet paper until you get your own place. Stash toilet paper and washing powder in your room so they end up buying the stuff sometimes.

If you don't know how to cook there's a thread in Second Opinion and recipes all over the internet. Don't be eating fast food because that will cost you 5-10x as much per fortnight. Start with scrambled eggs, work up to spaghetti bolognaise then do your thing from there. It's easy and kinda fun. Soup is very cheap and nutritious too.

Don't know what it's like in America, but here you need at least 6-7 weeks of rent up front to cover bond and 2 weeks rent plus some rental ripoff thing (usually one week's rent, forget what it is) So youll want at least $750 just to move in, considering the other dude will also have $750. You will get the bond back when you move out if you haven't broken the house. Also remember setting up electricity, phone, gas accounts cost a connection fee. You're gonna need to have a bit of cash to get started unless you move into a room in an already established household.

Good luck and enjoy every minute. Know you're not the only one struggling to pay the bills. Just remember to put your rent and bill money aside before you go buying cases of alcohol etc. New clothes? What are they???

young livers heal quick said:
Well since you're working 40 hours a week, even if it is minimum wage whatever the hell that is (what is it by the way?) it should be enough to cover rent, bills, food and a few cigs and alcohol surely?
In some parts of USA like Los Angeles, its not enough to cover all of those things ,but in some parts its enough, so it depends where u at. Minimum wage is like $6 somthing. He needs to find a new job.

^^^LOL, shit homie. if only it was that easy.
the US is alot different from other spots like england, scotland, aus. from what i read on here.

they expect people to live on min. wage and unless you live in a very low rent area (not ghetto i mean low cost of living, the cost of living is higher in the ghetto in many places actually) its damn near impossible if not literally impossible to live on.

take NYC for example. aint no minimun wage livin goin on there. straight up you cant do it. the cheapest shittiest most disgusting beat-ass cockroach-ass apartment can be 1,000 a month if not more. the only way you get a real cheap rent is if you live in the projects and you cant just up and go live there you need to get placed there by rental assistance, the apts. aint open to just anybody.

if you go to upper new york state like binghamton or newburgh or fuckin Nebraska or some shit where a 3-family home is still 100,000 dollars then you get the good rents. but basically on the north east coast and the west coast, say your prayers if you wanna try and find somewhere truly affordable and also have enough left over for anything else but necessities.

ya know what? it dont kill you. its just a hard ass life sometimes and eventually you SHOULD be able to move on, you dont wanna get stuck in the "is that all there is?" trap. eat sleep work eat sleep work.

Anyways, back to the listing

lacey k said:
10] put in those special long lasting lightbulbs, the floursecent ones, they use alot less power and still give you good light. it looks funky but ay its cheaper and more efficient.

Originally posted by fizzygirl
Replace your incandescent lights with compact flourescents. Yes, they cost a little more upfront but they will save you money. They don't conert 80% or so of the input energy into heat like incandescents (warming your house a little bit if you have a lot on), and draw less power. A compact flouro that puts out as much light as a 60Watt incandescent will draw something like 15Watts of power. Thats a big difference.

Word! see you know whats up. :)

I got another idea for you that is what helped my family get thru

this is a GOOD ONE so if you apss any of my suggestions just make sure you dont pass up this one.

16.gif
I dont know where you can find one of these but around me there is discount bread stores.

What they do is, on day of the expiration date, they take the bread , rolls, and baked goods like cookies, LIttle Debbies, pound cakes, etc, out of the regular store and bring it to the discount store. Since its expired, they only charge half price on everything

And usualyl its only a day or two expired, or a week. sometimes its stale but you can still eat it fine, if you got a problem with that, then youre gonna have a hard time adjusting lol.

also, you might be thinking this is gross but when i was a kid we would just cut the mold off the bread and then toast it if it was too stale.
some people toss that shit as soon as they see a green spot but we just cut it off, you gotta do that sometiems. if you aint done that before you might be like "this is fucked up" but thats how we always did shit, once you live that way for a while its normal. you just do what you gotta do.

Anyways see if theres a discount bread store by you. Its usualyl called "bakery outlet" or some shit like that but thats where the real deals are at.

--Also peep this. theres alot of diffrent kinds of supermarkets. Real nice ones, th eones with those little hot food sections with the roasted chickens and shit, and the salad bar. and the little section with pre made sushi. Those are expensive.

but then theres the regular ones like food basics, weis, i dont know where you live at so the chains are gonna vary. but they all got a kinda limited selection, instead of 8 brands of butter they got 3, oh well, whatever. but the prices are usually like 1/3 less, sometimes even cheaper than that, than the nicer stores.

A good way to find a cheap grocery store is if they got the "WIC" or "we accept food stamps" sticker in the window. even if you aint recieving from those programs, look for that. their prices are always lower. thats is how you determine the difference bewteen a place where richer people are goin to shop and somewhere that has to keep its prices low to cater to the people who are shoppin there who need foodstamps and good savings otherwise theyll lose customers.

--Get GOYA brand foods. canned chicken broth, crackers, noodles, etc. it is always like half the price of the regular brands. they make crackers just like ritz crackers but like 99 cents a box.

--dont have a house phone. if you got a celly you dont need a house phone. why have 2, thats jus extra money. thats also good because nobody can look you up and only people who you want to have your number will be able to call you.

--get TV from a pawn shop if you gotta have TV.

--always be lookin on the side of teh curb for shit people are throwin out. i got a vinyl recliner chair for free out of the garbage. tables, chairs and shit, sometimes people even be throwin away TVs that still work. oh and bicycles too. i got one from the trash a oldschool 10 speed, its phat.

--get shit from the dollar store. you need toothpaste? they got it there. fuck Crest. toothbrushes, get em there. shampoo, youre a guy, you dotn give a fuck if its 99 cent shampoo that aint got super conditioning, shine restoring pro vitamin complex in it, LOL.
they also sell food at the dollar stores by me, some of the shit there is good, try it out.

BUT

whatever you do, DONT get dollar store condoms. cuz in the long run, if one of thsoe crappy shits breaks and you-know-what happens, thats gonna be the exact OPPOSITE of savin you money. 8) LOL.

Raid a building site, nearly any furniture yo want can be made outta old bricks, plywood, boxes and milk crates. if you care bout looks spray em or sheet em.

Go round bakeries when they closing, most of em will be happy to give ya what didn't sell coz its going in the bin anyway.

By the big tins. so what if it means eating baked beans for a week, its cheap and you aint hungry.

Buy stuff in bulk, cook it all up and either freeze some or learn to make meals outta leftovers eg. spagetti bolognaise one night, then mix all the left overs together the next night cover with cheese and you have a pasta bake if you have any leftover keep them and the next night put them on bread more cheese and yo have pasta pizza. it gets repetitive but hey.

Use a library, free internet, free computer, free books.

Learn to cook. serious when you know shit you can save loads. just like learn to cook a stew. it uses the hella cheap cuts of meat, so you gotta cook it for ages so you can actually chew it but when its done not only does it taste to good but for a change you ae actually getting some nutrition.

Im in australia so i don't know if it is the same but at the some of major fruit markets here they will let you box fruit for a few hours and will pay you in friut and veg. if you can find some where that does that, do it.

Find the ways bring dead food back life, stale bread - toast it so you cant tell, yo got a lettuce thats looking like its seen better days - soak it in water to revive it. if you get some veges that are looking kinda nasty, chop em up, mix in some water and maybe a tin of tomatos and make a soup...its healthy and you can't taste the bruises and brown spots. find mold on your food, cut it off and try to forget yo saw it. ;)

Buy the big things of stuff youll use like toilet paper, tooth paste ect.

Repair, modify your old clothes and second hand shop clothes instead of getting new ones.

Learn to love rice, lentils and pasta.

Its not that bad and yo can live kinda cosy you just gotta learn some things that will make it easy like basic cooking and sewing.