• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

movie confessions v. 1.0

tribal girl said:
I hate Stanley Kubrick films.
he's made a pretty varied selection of movies. what is it about the movies that you hate?

have you seen them all?

alasdair

tribal girl said:
I hate Stanley Kubrick films.

I don't like The Usual Suspects.

My favourite Peter Jackson film is Heavenly Creatures.

:X

tribal girl said:
I know all the dialogue to the following: Enter The Dragon, Labyrinth and The Lost Boys.

<3

Despite acknowledging that he represents just about everything that is so very wrong with modern day Hollywood, I enjoy the films of Michael Bay. :|

I like the Ewoks. :| :|

I think that Trainspotting is the most overrated film in British cinema history & I can't stand it. :| :| :| (Amazing soundtrack though)

alasdairm said:
what is it about the movies that you hate?

I just find them mind numbingly boring. :\

alasdairm said:
have you seen them all?

Thankfully not.

tribal girl said:
I know all the dialogue to the following: Enter The Dragon, Adventures In Babysitting, Labyrinth, Big Business and The Lost Boys.

*Looks at avatar* I forgot The Breakfast Club. D'oh!. 8)

Ha! they just advertised Stanley Kubrick season on TV...weird. :D

^ i can't be arsed with citizen kane because it's in black and white.

in fact, take me outside and kill me, purists - i just don't like black & white films, end of. :)

I used to be like that too.

I'm not sure what changed my mind. I think it might have been a Mae West Film, or maybe Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?.

All About Eve is my favourite black and white film though. Bette Davis was magnificent.

AmorRoark said:
Confession: felix has no taste in movies.

;)
hey! that may be true, but does schindler's list give me a get out of jail card? :D

i was going to put in a disclaimer for any pedants out there, and i see i should have. ;) i'm afraid it's true though, i just have this mental association of being 'forced' to watch black and white films and not liking them very much at a young age. i blame the schools and the lack of TV channels in the UK in the 70s.

My dad forced me to watch black and white too but I guess I took better to the way of the figurative black and white film lash.

I dare you to watch Man Bites Dog felix. ;)

okay, so just after reading the first page of this thread, here are some admissions i had not planned on erm..admitting:

1) i have no idea who stanley kubrick is. i could google it after i post, but i don't know who he is.

2) i'm a pretty big disney fan and can honestly say i've never heard of "song of the south".

---------------------------------------------------------

those being said, here are the ones i had planned on admitting:

1) i have never seen "silence of the lambs".

2) i know all the words to "pretty woman", "steel magnolias", and "dirty dancing".

3) i have never seen any of the "godfather" movies, nor "scarface".

4) i recently purchased "cloak and dagger" on DVD because i liked it so much as a kid. i'm completely embarrassed it's even apart of my collection, as it is NOT good as an adult.

5) "mary poppins" is one of my favorite movies.

The thing about Kubrik is that you can watch five different Kubrik movies and if you didn't know better, you would never guess in a million years that they were all by the same director.
The way he could totally switch styles is unlike any director I can think of. And it's not like he would gradually change. He would radically change with each movie. All of his movies are so good and yet there is no "Kubrik style". Or if there is, it's really hard to put your finger on it.
You got 2001 with it's stark minimalism. But then you got Full Metal Jacket which completely over the top. You got the romanticism of Sparticus but also the cold fatalism Clockwork Orange.
If I had to pick two of his movies that had the most similar vibe, I'd say The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut but even those two are very different movies.

My point. For the people who say they've never seen a Kubrik movie. It's possible you have seen one and didn't realize it was him.

AmorRoark said:
This dude says it better, really:

It was a very racist film, said Todd Boyd, an African American professor of critical studies at the USC School of Cinema-Television. The character of Uncle Remus is a throwback. He affirms every negative and demeaning stereotype from slavery about Southern black men being happy-go-lucky, passive, carefree and non-threatening.

Ha, I took Boyd's class, and he is a little over the edge. I mean, not that I disagree with that quote, just saying he's way around the bend. In an entertaining and outrageous way. He used to insist that everyone smoke blunts before coming to class.

as for my confession:

I LOVE both Mean Girls and Clueless way more than a 25 year old guy should.

back to the racist disney films...how is it so awful there, but ok in something like gone with the wind. it was simply a portrayal of life at that time. i don't see how it is maliciously racist. help me out here.

ok confessions...i love mindless action flicks. i have watched armageddon a dozen times and loved it every one.

i didn't like casablanca.

the only kubrick film i liked was the shining and full metal jacket. 2001 was alright.

i can't think of anything else worth writing about.

I love trashy pointless 80's movies, especially ones that star Goldie Hawn or Bette Midler.