Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

most strange/weird films you've seen

I just watched that Japanese movie House (1977) on LSD. I didn't know anything about it besides I saw people kept recommending it on various boards I frequent. That movie was insane. It's one of the most psychedelic movies I have ever seen. It really goes full kaleidoscope. One of new favourite films I buying blu ray now.

qft

add "Upstream Color" to the list =)
That was certainly a strange one. From what I read in the FAQ for the movie in order to understand what's going on the first time through you have to be familiar with worm charming, three-life-stage multi-species parasites, and specific passages from "Walden." I thought it was executed well, and even reacted pretty strongly to some of the scenes intuitively despite my analytical confusion, but those simply aren't reasonable expectations to hold an audience to. I consider cryptic symbolism, subtle clues, and complex plots fair play, but seemingly requiring that viewers have esoteric outside knowledge like that strikes me as obscurantism.

Last edited:
ah, u know i read that faq and in fact after viewing the first time ended up on the worm chamring wiki. with these type of films, some lynch work comes to mind like inland empire, where all seems to be a mystery, i just let it wash over me and try not to analyze it. my brain does connect some of the dots and after a 2nd viewing it comes together.

in regards to upstream color, my thoughts focus on "the sampler". the "the thief" and the orchid business profit from the parasite monetarily but with the sampler, while he does also with his cd's/recordings, there seemed to be something he was after. something about using the experiences of others and the sounds of his field recordings, i recall he had some strange notes and got upset/frustrated at one point not being to quite obtain whatever he was hoping for...

like u say, it's a good thing it was executed well, if it wasn't the film could have easily turned out to be a mess.

Blue Velvet. Didn't get it. Didn't dig it. And WTF was he huffing? Nitrous Oxide? That's all I could think of but why the cloth? Do people use chloroform for fun? Movie was bizarre in a bad way.

Prometheus was bizarre in an interesting, cool way I thought.

Rob Zombie movies are too much for me. Can't handle them.

A Scanner Darkly was weird in that awesome PKD way I love so much, as was Blade Runner

I guess you could say The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia is a weird movie, and it was, but I loved every minute of it.

ah, u know i read that faq and in fact after viewing the first time ended up on the worm chamring wiki. with these type of films, some lynch work comes to mind like inland empire, where all seems to be a mystery, i just let it wash over me and try not to analyze it. my brain does connect some of the dots and after a 2nd viewing it comes together.

in regards to upstream color, my thoughts focus on "the sampler". the "the thief" and the orchid business profit from the parasite monetarily but with the sampler, while he does also with his cd's/recordings, there seemed to be something he was after. something about using the experiences of others and the sounds of his field recordings, i recall he had some strange notes and got upset/frustrated at one point not being to quite obtain whatever he was hoping for...

like u say, it's a good thing it was executed well, if it wasn't the film could have easily turned out to be a mess.
Yeah, there’s a little bit of a Lynchian feel to “Upsteam Color,” and I’ve read a few reviews that mentioned Lynch too, but for me the more impenetrably mysterious qualities of his films are easier to give a pass to because I think they’re mostly that way to get viewers to think about all sorts of fantastic explanations. That is, they’re that way to artistically evoke novel thoughts and feelings and expand the mind rather than be figured out in any realistic way, and they succeed at it spectacularly.

That said, I also read the worm charming wiki after Upstream Color and it did make me think about all sorts of strange and fascinating things, like the intuitive processes involved in learning a human-to-worm “language” well enough to win those charming competitions by vibrating sticks, heh. I guess birds that eat worms do something similar with their feet. It was recently found that the closer the vibration is to that made by the digging of hunting moles the more worms will flee to the surface, which I doubt traditional worm charmers suspected.

Yeah, there’s a little bit of a Lynchian feel to “Upsteam Color,” and I’ve read a few reviews that mentioned Lynch too, but for me the more impenetrably mysterious qualities of his films are easier to give a pass to because I think they’re mostly that way to get viewers to think about all sorts of fantastic explanations. That is, they’re that way to artistically evoke novel thoughts and feelings and expand the mind rather than be figured out in any realistic way, and they succeed at it spectacularly.
you hit the nail on the head there, way better than i could've said. im guessing you saw the first film by the writer/director shane carruth, primer ? perfect example of "figuring it out in a realistic way" just look at the img explaining the time travel on the wiki

i admire them both for their vision. lynch just goes off into way more surreal territory at times, and carruth for what im guessing to be the methodical research he puts into his scripts. i can just picture him working with notes posted all over about time travel for primer or passages of walden for upstream color.

he has only made two films so far and so different from one another. excited to see what he does next.