• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

most strange/weird films you've seen

AmorRoark

Bluelight Crew
Let semantics be semantics. I think (or, at least hope in self-interest) that we all know what a strange or weird film is when we see it. I guess leaving the term up to interpretation is part of the fun! So, what's your favorite? What makes it so interesting to you? Yay!? :)

Waking Life.
nifty visuals, deep and strangely interesting content. a trippers paradise

Existenz. Terribly underrated.

Why do I like it? Because the film is not only about the blurred line between fantasy and reality, but because the film is full of gooey psychosexual metaphors that make it both titillating and disturbing without a shred of nudity or actual sex. It just creeps under my skin in a way that I like.

A lot of haters of that film here, though...oh well.

P.S.--Like to add the '95 remake of Romeo and Juliet.

Last edited:
Man Bites Dog - Deliciously disturbing tale of a French serial killer with a taste for postmen.

Has English subtitles and won in Cannes 15 years ago.

Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom

'salo' is the most 'disturbing' film i have seen.

its my 'favorite weird film' because it was a very powerful experience watching it, a real 'eye opener'.

its hard for me to put into words... i am a big fan of horror movies and after watching 'salo' it made me realize something about the dark nature of humans and the innate capacity of evil we possess. by not 'sugar-coating' any of the scenes of 'torture, murder, rape, etc' in 'salo' the director reminds us that acts of violence should not be entertainment as they are in 'most' horror movies i enjoy, and reminds me how desensitized i am to violence be it in movies, or the news in real life.

the director accomplishes this fact extremely effectively in the final scene were the victims are being tortured and murdered while the captors take turns as a voyeur from inside the mansion and we watch with them through the view of their binoculars. the film attempts to equate our viewing of this film to their viewing of the executions, after all, we're watching these acts for 'entertainment', just as he is. and we distance ourselves from the acts in order to enjoy them, as he does by watching through binoculars far away. it's a savage and truthful attack, one that is impossible to deny.

a couple other reasons its my favorite is for being released in 1975 the director didn't give a fuck about being 'controversial' i respect him for going all out and possibly risking his life to stay true to his vision, as he was killed shortly before the film was released.

and LAST (finally) i put it in the 'weird' category because anyone watching this will be thinking 'WHAT THE FUCK' during its scenes of homosexual acts, or a feast on human shit, or its fucked up 'wedding' scene with the 4 male captors dressing up as women, it is very fucking weird!

and to anyone who hasn't seen it and decides to watch it, don't expect to have much of an appetite when its over.

the end
23.gif

Funny Games and Satan's Little Helper. Hardly anyone has even heard of Satan's Little Helper,which was about an 8 year boy seeing a guy in a devil mask killing some guy on Halloween. The kid thinks it's make believe,like the guy in the devil mask is from his video game called Satan's Litle Helper,in which you score points for helping Satan kill people. So the kid follows him around and pretty much helps the guy kill people,all the time thinking it's make believe. It's a funny little fucked up movie and pretty decent to be a low budget,direct to video release.

Eraserhead is pretty much the "classic" weird film.

Blue Velvet comes a close second. My personal fav. Frank Booth/Hopper is the definitive "weird" character.

Donnie Darko when I first watched it was extremely bizarre. The backstory to the time travel book helps immensely for the overall plot. But there is still a ton of "weird" points besides. Swayze's character is VERY strange, even more so that its Patrick Swayze.

You say weird and I immediately think of Cronenberg and Lynch.

Without much deliberation, I'd have to go with...

Lost Highway, directed and co-written by Lynch.

Cronenberg's Crash is up there as well.

Originally Posted by jude101
Man Bites Dog

Saw this one when I was a kid - awesome movie, very funny.

Mulholland Drive is at the top of my list, followed closely by Inland Empire. Highly honorable mention goes to Donnie Darko, Eyes Wide Shut, and Romance (1999 French flick).

Belisarius said:
Existenz. Terribly underrated.

i liked eXistenZ.
you could throw out almost any lynch film here, of course. add to that a list of other cronenburg films and top it off with some matthew barney. my favorite of the pack changes with the moods and situations of the moment.

^Agreed. Existenz is truly underrated. I think people forget that bad acting, degraded worlds, and inconsistent characters due to game urges are all part of the plot, and they take these things too much at face value. It REALLY must be seen at least twice to be appreciated. Also, looking at the depersonalization and technology fetishism that accompanies online gaming addiction today, it becomes clear both how relevant to its time, and ahead of it, Existenz was.