PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health Most effective brand of mushroom for neurogenesis

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
After watching this guy;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqWstVnRjQ

Preaching the good word of fungi - I am now dedicated to try a magic mushroom.

There's all these different categories and names - I'm specifically interested in its beneficial effects.

Truffles, psilocybe etc.

Any recommendations?

I've been told "Liberty Caps" grow around my area, but I'm not optimistic, primary cause I've never gone "picking" before.

I also take Atomoxetine, Mirtazapine and Sertraline.

Discussing brands would be sourcing, but we can talk about species, which I assume is probably what you mean anyway.

Either way, no species (and certainly no brand!), to my knowledge, would promote neurogenesis better than any other, at comparative doses. The only way I could imagine it making a difference is if psilocin is shown to not be effective whereas psilocybin is, or vice versa; given that some species have higher ratios of one chemical than the other.

If you want to learn to hunt liberty caps then check out shroomery.org, but bear in mind that liberty caps appear to be on some kind of decline or ebb in northern europe. Nobody really knows why, but the fields have been struggling to fruit for a good few years.

Yea the only way we could know would be to conduct research on the different alkaloids present to see which is most effective and then choose our species based on that. Unfortunately that research doesn't exist and probably never will. Research into psychedelic neurogenesis is in its infancy.

I also highly suggest being very wary of hunting mushrooms yourself, as someone who hunts mushrooms (mostly edibles but some psychoactives) I can tell you it takes years of practice before I'd personally feel safe to pick and eat wild mush.

If your serious about mushroom hunting get a guide on edibles and psychoactives in your area. Go out purely with the intent to learn and not with the notion that you may get to trip. Find some easy edibles and work up from there.

-GC

Discussing brands would be sourcing, but we can talk about species, which I assume is probably what you mean anyway.

Either way, no species (and certainly no brand!), to my knowledge, would promote neurogenesis better than any other, at comparative doses. The only way I could imagine it making a difference is if psilocin is shown to not be effective whereas psilocybin is, or vice versa; given that some species have higher ratios of one chemical than the other.

If you want to learn to hunt liberty caps then check out shroomery.org, but bear in mind that liberty caps appear to be on some kind of decline or ebb in northern europe. Nobody really knows why, but the fields have been struggling to fruit for a good few years.

Species - correct.

So - what I'm seeing is, psilocybe - not psilocybin; does that differ from psilocin?

'Psilocybe' refers to a genus of mushroom e.g. Psilocybe semilanceata (where semilanceata is the species) aka Liberty caps. There are several species in this genus, all containing the alkaloid psilocybin. This is metabolised in the body to psilocin, which is the hallucinogenic compound.

To further clarify, psilocybes (all species of psilocybin-containing mushrooms) contain some ratio of psilocybin (as FUBAR mentioned this converts to psilocin in the body and this may or may not change the effects slightly due to different dynamics), psilocin, and also various trace tryptamines like 4-HO-NMT, NMT, and even DMT. There is disagreement on whether different ratios would lead to slightly different effects. Personally I think it's entirely possible or even likely that it would slightly alter the effects between species.

But as far as the neurogenesis effect goes - basically it's fairly consistent across the various species?

The neurogenesis is probably coming from the main active drug in the mushroom. I don't think it's well known if more is better in this case, or if the neurogenesis is more like an on/off thing where it just takes a certain threshold to activate this neurogenesis response.

Other psychedelics should trigger neurogenesis through the same 5ht pathways, including LSD, DOM, and other classic psychedelics.

There are also other non-psilocybe and legal species that seem to trigger neurogenesis via other pathways. Lions Mane for example. Do your research, read what Stamets has to say, I'm not an expert.

Don't hold expectations about becoming some kind of super genius from this, the neurogenesis doesn't seem to happen in the cortex. You might also want to read this article for some overview.

edit: to answer your question directly - the different psilocybe species should have about the same degree of neurogenesis effect, although the more potent ones might do it a bit better.

I've tried to aquire such "gourmet" mushrooms - but alls I can get around here is button cap or flat mushrooms.

The likes of Lions Main is no where to be found.

Can anyone second or further insight as to the eating of Liberty caps picked oneself?

If it's semi-feasible, then sure - I'll take an afternoon to go searching some uphill sheep grazing area.
But if I shouldn't be eating them, period - even at "microdosed" level - well, that would be time not well spent.

I've tried to aquire such "gourmet" mushrooms - but alls I can get around here is button cap or flat mushrooms.

The likes of Lions Main is no where to be found.

Can anyone second or further insight as to the eating of Liberty caps picked oneself?

If it's semi-feasible, then sure - I'll take an afternoon to go searching some uphill sheep grazing area.
But if I shouldn't be eating them, period - even at "microdosed" level - well, that would be time not well spent.

Not really sure of your question, but rest assured that liberty caps are the real deal when it comes to psychoactive mushrooms...

What about non psychoactive? I think I heard Paul Stamets say he wanted to take a little psilocybin and perhaps some Lion's Mane for optimal neuronal activity.

These explain

Oh I see you already brought it up. Nowhere to be found? Wild?

To identify Liberty Caps would require expert mycology knowledge I want to say I tried hunting here and found some nearly identical but could not determine there are dozens and dozens of impostors I guess maybe try sharing pics with mycology people but I tried once with these Burmas I had come up in my backyard threw a tub out into the dirt haha they said they could not answer that for me on Shroomery

Last edited:

Over here its just Grass caps, which look a bit like Liberty cap's. But no wild Psilo's to be found. And I tried, even got into literature to make sure if they would be there I would recognize em.

Deconica subviscida or Psilocybe subviscida which cause stomach pain but contain's no psylocibine.

I’d like to report major cognitive advances since my chemo, I felt in a bit of a rut til I started adding in Lions Mane into my neurogenesis regimen. I’ll report back more when I have had more experience but both me and my wife seem to be seeing benefits from occasional use (once a week here n there).

-GC

To add more…

I use smart shrooms brand. Started with 1 capsule but had to drop it to half cuz gave me a headache, dosage is 3..

How I know this shit is working…. I was laying in bed one night a day after taking some and out of nowhere remembered the entire speech I used to give as a teen at my old job before kids would ride GoKarts. I recited the entire speech I thought I’d forgotten years ago.

Ive taken it with 4-AcO-DMT, and it’s magic. It adds to that complexity of thought, those thought tangents that run wild through your mind. Highly recommend.

And my wife.. She’s what I term a hard head, doesn’t feel stuff like I do. I feel everything, so for her to say she feels something on it tells that there really is something to it.

I don’t recommend taking before work, both her and I agree it’s not a focused energy like the supplement people advertise it. Too cloudy and again “tangent’y” for being productive.

I’m about to really put it to the test with my father in law. He’s been having cognitive issues from his brain cancer treatment, and if this stuff helps him I’ll shill this shit for life.

-GC