• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants More detailed information on tolerance ?

ccjazzy

Greenlighter
Hi There -

I am a casual user (about 24-36 hours of fun every 2 - 3 weeks ... smoking ... maybe .25 - .5g per session). I typically schedule sessions with spouse who enjoys it as well. We schedule playtimes well in advance and really stick to that. This week, however, was unusual and 4 nights ago I used roughly two nights in a row by myself. Hence, tonight spouse feels wonderful alone in the bedroom while I sit here in the office wondering why I'm not feeling wildly horny while researching pharmacology instead.

After reading your generous contributions, I now understand the idea of dopamine depletion which makes sense and which also gives me relief that there is a natural metabolic "limit" on how often you can really use (Why would I possibly do it more frequently if I'm not getting the most out of it, right ? Could this be a potential point of discussion with people going down a bad path in terms of reasoning ?).

I've read what's been covered but a few questions remain:

1) Aside from using too frequently, are there other things I can do to ensure that wherever my "set-point" is for maximal effect NOW, I keep it there ?
We want to stay as healthy as we are.

2) Although the dopamine release won't happen when I pass my limit and I won't get "high", are there any other effects that will occur ?
Effects such as insomnia, depression, tachycardia, hypertension, anxiety, libido changes, lack of hunger, etc. I'm specifically interested in the cardiovascular effects. The lack of a rapid heart rate was the first clue that something was amiss.

3) How should I go about finding my "limit" and how will I know that additional use is not adding anything ?
I frequently 'push it' a bit but still have return on investment after greater use. Is there a way to determine my limit ? Is it retrospective ? Trial and error ?

3) How long should one wait between using in order to prevent tolerance from developing ?
This HAS been written about, but the estimates vary and aren't clear and don't really point out variable factors like AGE, WEIGHT, OTHER MEDS, USE PATTERN, ETC. I do realize that tolerance will likely happen with each use, but I'm looking for a frequency which optimally protects us.

4) Has anyone actually tried the NMDA-agonist strategy to avoid tolerance development (eg - DXM use) ? Are there any other simple strategies to mitigate tolerance ?
There are scattered remarks on this point but nothing substantial.

5) Am I missing anything ?
In all the time I've used his has never happened to me. This includes a really indulgent 3-month run in 2002 at around 1g/session at least. The dopamine supply explanation is rational and fits my understanding of neuropharmacology. Am I correct about this being a dopamine supply issue or could it be something different. Remember, spouse is feeling just dandy using same batch. I do feel "something" but it's not profound and my HR and BP are normal.

Thanks to all the contributors who gave me the knowledge that is here. Thanks also to anyone who contributes more.

Best -
CCJ

Nope, I'm not entirely sure where you draw that kind of conclusion (there is no issue with cross tolerance of DXM and opioids, for instance).

That is a collection of research and anecdotal evidence that NMDAr antagonists like DXM and ketamine can help prevent the development of tolerance (they do not prevent tolerance per se, but they can diminish its significance, both as a preventative measure and as a kind of potentiation if you already are tolerant).

I found these types of drugs suuuuuuper helpful coming off opioids and dealing with that. I don't have any experience using them for dealing with amphetamine tolerance, but it looks like others have had positive results.

Ime dextromethorphan causes a rapid short term sensitization to amphetamine at doses that significantly impair functioning.

I use diphenhydramine for additional sensitization however the dose that i find sensitizes the effects of amphetamine produce profound discomfort, amnesia, and hallicinations.

Additionally very low doses of benadyrl a dxm seemed to slightly increase the subjective effects of daily use.

In my 21 year old nonprofessonial nondoctor opinion i believe excititory signaling is a important part of amphetamines ability to cause dopamine release in the pleasure centers.

Antagonism of nmda receptor, nicotinic acetylcholinergic receptors, muscarinic receptors, and ion channels may some how alter how the brain works.

This is very risky though because you dont know exactly what your changing in Your head.

I think its really quite simple when you are going from dissociation to amphetamine it feels alot stronger because your comparing it to being unable to walk talk and read.

Not being able to sit still will feel pretty dramatic.

Not being able to sit still after being unable to move your legs will seem extremely dramatic even if your peak stimulation is no different.

Cross-post, dude.
You still haven't posted those wedding pictures!

Also, tolerance tolerance.

No, I'm not gonna get trapped with a couple of trolls for hours talking about isopropylbenzylamine.

Hi -

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Although much of what was said is scientifically interesting, I am more of a minimalist and I'm not really interested in any sort of combination. I actually have an extensive knowledge of pharmacology and neuro that is academic. I know enough to know that all of those theoretical outcomes are vast simplifications of really elaborate processes. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the NMDA issue.

So, from the practical perspective of those with experience - how much time should elapse between uses in order to keep yourself safe from acquiring a tolerance.

No amount of academic study can really give an answer here but some simple experiential comments could be really valuable.

Thanks-
CCJ