• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Moldy Poppy pods?

Forever Changes

Bluelighter
Moldy Poppy pods safe to consume?

I have some dried poppy pods (Papaver Giganthemums I think) to brew some tea with, but they are not uniformly beige in colour. They have patches of dark/black discolouration on them, and some are very dark, and some have dark spots like the images below

Is this mold/mould, or are they safe to consume?

258196_asierraflowerfinder.blob.core.windows.net_medias_FlowerPictures_9353_2014_04_24_2013.53.22.jpg

image_large.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to tell without touching them, but some of that stuff looks normal - dried pods tend to get a bit spattered with opium latex and spots of alkaloids and stuff.
If they're not squishy or covered in furry mould, they're probably fine - but if in doubt, i would err on the side of caution.

no they're dry, and not furry, just covered in dark patches. This is my first time making Poppy Pod tea so I wanted to make sure I wasn't brewing up with some diseased pods or something

That's likely bruising where opuim started leaking within our outside of it

Yup

I reckon they're fine - they always look like that when dry ime

Yeah, as others have said, they look fine. As long as there isn't a strong "wet soil" type smell coming from them you should be good to go. Man that bowl of pods reminds me of great and terrible times....(drug reminiscence zone out)

Hard to tell..

You could always burn the mold spores off, or cut off the bad spots

Although I don't think that amount of mold would be harmful

Last edited:
We would have to see the inside of the pods. They can look like these and be fine and sometimes the darker ones with purple hues looked the best in dried floral arrangements. If you break one open and there is cobwebs or a certain other kind of darker brown mold stay away. What does it look like on the inside?

None of us can tell you those are safe to ingest. You can break much cleaner pods open and find cobwebs. People get hospitalized due to bad pods. Some of those look like they could have some hella cobwebs and fuzzies growing on the inside. The real dangerous molds grow on the inside not the outside of a poppy pod.

Last edited:
It's hard to tell without touching them, but some of that stuff looks normal - dried pods tend to get a bit spattered with opium latex and spots of alkaloids and stuff.
If they're not squishy or covered in furry mould, they're probably fine - but if in doubt, i would err on the side of caution.
You can touch a completely hard dried pod that is much lighter in color. They may look just fine but then you can open them up and white cobwebs or brownish mold spores can be consuming the insides.

Basic mold prevention 101. You go through the batch popping off the poppy nob at the bottom. Then you peer into the pod with a flashlight. You weed out the bad ones and immediately remove them from the box as you do not want those anywhere near the other pods. You never ever fully known until you open them up from the bottom. If done right they can still be used just fine for crafting.

Last edited:
The insides look OK I think. They're dry, although discoloured like the outside. No cobwebs

btw, are P. Giganthemums suitable for making tea with? Do they contain the same alkaloids as P. Somniferum?

They're a strain of P. Somniferum :)

And yep, i imagine they'll be great.

One tip, when it comes to dosing pods is to measure doses of ground pods. Be it grams or teaspoons or whatever - pods can be really variable in size and in potency.

So...if someone says "make tea out of 7 pods" - you wouldnt want to do that with Giganthemums without a tolerance, you'd be sick for days if they're any good.

I got some Giganthemums years ago, and i caught a nod from tea made from a single pod.

You can better titrate doses using grinds too - chuck em in a coffee grinder. Man i miss the lovely straw smell of dried pods (kinda).

Last edited:
The insides look OK I think. They're dry, although discoloured like the outside. No cobwebs

btw, are P. Giganthemums suitable for making tea with? Do they contain the same alkaloids as P. Somniferum?

Just wanted to say that you'll usually know instantly when inspecting the inside of a bad pod. They get pretty nasty looking inside, there can be cobweb like things or the inside will just look like it's turning into dirt - like it's deteroriating/decomposing or what have you.

They're a strain of P. Somniferum :)

And yep, i imagine they'll be great.

One tip, when it comes to dosing pods is to measure doses of ground pods. Be it grams or teaspoons or whatever - pods can be really variable in size and in potency.

So...if someone says "make tea out of 7 pods" - you wouldnt want to do that with Giganthemums without a tolerance, you'd be sick for days if they're any good.

I got some Giganthemums years ago, and i caught a nod from tea made from a single pod.

You can better titrate doses using grinds too - chuck em in a coffee grinder. Man i miss the lovely straw smell of dried pods (kinda).

Thanks for the tips. I'm planning to write a detailed post about my method/first experiences in the Poppy tea megathread soon.

lovely!

there used to be a whole forum about poppy pod tea and associated things. i learned a lot from that, and from using them for years.
i don't know if poppies.org is archived anywhere these days (i think someone posted here recently that it isn't) because when the mainstream semi-legal sales of them online was shut down, it kind of snuffed out a whole drug subculture.

i was addicted to the shit for a decade - so my thoughts about the subject are complicated (but pod tea [and other full-spectrum opium alkaloid extract] was probably my favourite opiate, fwiw) but i reckon if any fucking politician was serious about "solving" the "opioid epidemic", legalising pods would save so many lives. fuck fentanyl - just give people the right to brow poppy pod tea and you could save so many lives.
it's really a classic example of how prohibition kills people and destroys lives, families, communities.

but anyway, look forward to reading your report.

Just wanted to say that you'll usually know instantly when inspecting the inside of a bad pod. They get pretty nasty looking inside, there can be cobweb like things or the inside will just look like it's turning into dirt - like it's deteroriating/decomposing or what have you.

here's a pic of the inside of one:

IMG_20180427_184321.jpg

nice - perfect :)

the earthy smell of the mould or rot is pretty distinctive, but that looks like a beautiful specimen.
are yours as big as some i've seen - bigger than baseballs?

lovely!

there used to be a whole forum about poppy pod tea and associated things. i learned a lot from that, and from using them for years.
i don't know if poppies.org is archived anywhere these days (i think someone posted here recently that it isn't) because when the mainstream semi-legal sales of them online was shut down, it kind of snuffed out a whole drug subculture.

i was addicted to the shit for a decade - so my thoughts about the subject are complicated (but pod tea [and other full-spectrum opium alkaloid extract] was probably my favourite opiate, fwiw) but i reckon if any fucking politician was serious about "solving" the "opioid epidemic", legalising pods would save so many lives. fuck fentanyl - just give people the right to brow poppy pod tea and you could save so many lives.
it's really a classic example of how prohibition kills people and destroys lives, families, communities.

but anyway, look forward to reading your report.

maybe we could make a sub-forum for it here if there are no longer other sites dedicated sites to it?

I totally agree with the stupidity of prohibition legislation. The recent ban of kratom here is a case in point - I used that for years happily and never had any problems.

I can't speak for other countries but it was not at all difficult to acquire pods legitametely here in the UK. For now, anyway

nice - perfect :)

the earthy smell of the mould or rot is pretty distinctive, but that looks like a beautiful specimen.
are yours as big as some i've seen - bigger than baseballs?

They were described as 'giant pods' but no specific strain was given. Some are almost as big as baseballs - or cricket balls!