• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

MMA (aka Ultimate Fighting)

Mauricio

Bluelighter
Any MMA fans here? I myself am obsessed, in fact the only other forum I visit/post at regularly is Sherdog.com

Why does MMA rule? Because it's a fighting video game mixed with pro wrestling come to life (the short answer).

So any other MMA fans here?

Yeah me, but I strongly disagree with your reasoning. MMA and pro-wrestling shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. Then again, any reason you like something should be reason enough to like it, none of my business.

I'm not big into 'mainstream' sports but MMA is truly awesome. It's 10x more exciting than boixing IMO.

HashBrown007 said:
Yeah me, but I strongly disagree with your reasoning. MMA and pro-wrestling shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. Then again, any reason you like something should be reason enough to like it, none of my business.

I'm not big into 'mainstream' sports but MMA is truly awesome. It's 10x more exciting than boixing IMO.

I've noticed many people don't agree with that, but to me there are some undeniable similarities, even if I totally understand the desire to separate the two.

1. Both involve the appearance of combat (only one has actual combat).

2. Orgs like PRIDE, Pancrase, RINGS have/had big pro wrestling connections.

3. There are feuds, stables (OMG! Chute Box is rushing Hammer House! Mah Gawd King! Wanderlei Silva! Wanderlei Silva! The Axe Murderer! The Axe Murderer!), video packages, different personalities that are much closer to pro wrestling then say boxing.

4. The entrances...I mean take a look at PRIDE's old entrances...UFC's have gotten a little more theatrical again recently.

Last edited:
I also think MMA and pro wrestling can't be compared by someone who calls themselves a real MMA fan. But that's just my opinion. I do like your name though, if it's meant as in Shogun. Although I'm terribly disappointed in his performance against Forrest Griffin but whatev. I also train in MMA but besides that I've yet to meet someone as obsessed with MMA as me. I need to shut up about it before I get myself too worked up.

I love it, I dont know much about it but everytime its on TV I watch it.

Is it true that there are no rules?...within reason of course.

There are a bunch of rules now. In the UFC, in the early 90's when it first started the only actual rules were no eye gouging, no biting, no groin shots. You could get away with almost anything lol. And it was bareknuckle. Now they wear 4oz MMA gloves, and there are a bunch of rules. If you go to ufc.com they have most of the rules listed. But MMA rules vary from country to country, actually even from state to state in the US. As an example, Japan isn't as strict on their rules, you can boot your opponent in the face if you want while they're laying on the ground and you're standing up. You can't do shit like that in the U.S. lol

Far out ay, thats pretty heavy. I think ill have to download a few fights.

LeadSingerDisorder said:
I also think MMA and pro wrestling can't be compared by someone who calls themselves a real MMA fan. But that's just my opinion. I do like your name though, if it's meant as in Shogun. Although I'm terribly disappointed in his performance against Forrest Griffin but whatev. I also train in MMA but besides that I've yet to meet someone as obsessed with MMA as me. I need to shut up about it before I get myself too worked up.

Yeah, my name comes from Shogun (the fuck was wrong with him anyway??), I also think "Mauricio" just sounds real cool on its own.

I mentioned some similarities between wrestling and MMA above I'd be interested in seeing people's take on. I think MMA fans (understandably) are too sensitive about the similarities, as they are cosmetic only really and in NO WAY should be taken as a sign that MMA is not a legit sport.

But I guess I could be wrong about the wrestling similarities...

::watches an ex-Croatian anti-terror squad member walk down to the ring with Duran Druan playing as his name and flag is shown on a video screen, his opponent...a Mexican pro wrestler in a mask::

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I can't believe this hasn't been asked yet on this forum...any Nick Diaz fans here?????

"Because you get high all the time, you can’t find people that train all the time. But if you get high and train, you will get high and train all the time together and it will be fucking massive-takeover-smoke-weed-and-kill-people shit." - Nick Diaz

i do some brazilian jiu-jutsu (not mma), so i have mad respect for nogueira. he's badass at what he does and not mentioned enough.

^True, people forget Nog was seen as unstoppable before Fedor came along, and since then no one has descisively took his number 2 spot from him. Also I'm sick of people saying "Oh Nog sucks now" because of his last fight. He dominated 90% of the fight, got caught with one HUGE head kick that would have KO'd most any other fighter, and still manged to win. I swear some people can't properly appreciate a good recovery/comeback.

Here's hoping for Nog vs. Couture if Fedor is not availible.

Mauricio said:
::watches an ex-Croatian anti-terror squad member walk down to the ring with Duran Druan playing as his name and flag is shown on a video screen, his opponent...a Mexican pro wrestler in a mask::

Dos Caras Jr was a fuckin joke lol. And that mask was retarded. Cro Cop ended his night very fast with an immediate left head kick.

I didn't understand the shogun fight. In pride, the have one 10 minute round, and then one 5 minute round. In UFC it's three 5 minute rounds (non-title matches of course). So how does Shogun get tired when he came to the UFC and fought? He doesn't get winded in Pride like that and he gets less breaks there. Hmm.

LeadSingerDisorder said:
Dos Caras Jr was a fuckin joke lol. And that mask was retarded. Cro Cop ended his night very fast with an immediate left head kick.

I didn't understand the shogun fight. In pride, the have one 10 minute round, and then one 5 minute round. In UFC it's three 5 minute rounds (non-title matches of course). So how does Shogun get tired when he came to the UFC and fought? He doesn't get winded in Pride like that and he gets less breaks there. Hmm.

Lol, I actually have a lot of strange respect for Dos Caras for that. "Hmm, let's say I have little MMA experience, I'm going up against a top 3 HW, the deadliest striker in the game, this mask may hurt my vision....BUT THE POWER OF THE LUCHADORE MUST BE SHOWN!" Or so I imagine the logic went...

As for Shogun, well as I'm sure you've heard everyone has been speculating that PRIDE guys have not been doing as well because they cannot juice as much...of course Shogun didn't look anywhere near as bad when he fought Randleman, and Overeem in America so who knows...either way 2007 has been a absolutely insane year for MMA.

keo4real said:
just wait till Wanderlai Silva enters the UFC. its a wrap son.

What? Silva is good, but, no. He can't compete with a few certain guys, who are from Pride but now in the UFC. He's fuckin good, but I don't see him getting far in the UFC.

keo4real said:
i want to fuck, im mean i want to fight with chuck. lol

i dont know dude , Silva is a BEAST. Ice man does not stand a chance and Rampage is gonna beat down for the 3rd time by him. hollar

Yeah but that doesn't have anything to do with Silva. And I don't see Chuck getting a title shot any time soon with 2 losses in a row. Dan Henderson will never lose to Silva, nor will Shogun. And they're both UFC fighters now.

I'd love to see Hendo/Silva III, both were great fights and supposedly Silva was sick in the second one, so I'd like to see all the questions here answered. I don't think they would fight but if Shogun looks like he did against Forrest I could see the "old" Silva beating him.

A third fight with Jackson is the only time I can think of where I would be interested to see two fighters fight when one is already 2-0 against the other. This is based on how much QJ has improved, how well he has adapted to the cage, questions about how good Silva still is, and how much ass their two fights in PRIDE kicked.

Oh, and I don't care if they lose their last 20 fights I still want to see Chuck vs. Silva, I'm not making any picks on that (if I could see Silva fight once in the UFC before maybe I could) but it will be such a do or die situation for both that it will have no choice but to be WWIII or a quick savage KO.

Aye i'm a massive fan of MMA (Pride RIP), I was down in London for UFC75 which was great, met Ross Pynton and Kalib Stars from TUF3. I was in the camp thinking that the Pride guys would clean up in UFC but they havent been that impressive so far, cept Rampage. Shogun Rua is one of my favourite fighters to watch and was shocked that Griffen beat him, but hats off to Forrest he was on form. Silva is legend no matter what happens in UFC but I hope he doesnt carry on till hes getting bttered in each fight., they must arrange for him to fight chuck no matter what it would be huge, anyone know whats happening with Fedor or Gomi?