• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Mk-801

Sphinx (Afterlife)

Ex-Bluelighter
http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/245/3/969

MK-801, a proposed noncompetitive antagonist of excitatory amino acid neurotransmission, produces phencyclidine-like behavioral effects in pigeons, rats and rhesus monkeys

W Koek, JH Woods and GD Winger

Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.

The behavioral effects of MK-801 [(+)-5-methyl-10,11-dihydroxy-5H- dibenzo(a,d)cyclohepten-5,10-imin e], a proposed noncompetitive N- methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) antagonist, were compared to those of phencyclidine (PCP). In pigeons, MK-801 produced PCP-like catalepsy (i.e., loss of righting without eye closure and without muscle relaxation) and PCP-like discriminative stimulus effects. In rats, MK- 801 produced PCP-like behavior (i.e., locomotion, sniffing, swaying and falling). In rhesus monkeys, like PCP, MK-801 produced 1) ketamine-like discriminative stimulus effects, 2) positive reinforcing effects and 3) ketamine-like anesthetic effects (i.e., anesthesia without eye closure and without respiratory depression, but with profuse salivation and with some muscle relaxation). Thus, MK-801 produced PCP-like behavioral effects in each species and with each procedure. MK-801 was 2 to 10 times more potent than PCP, depending on the effect measured and the species tested. Because MK-801 has been shown to have NMDA-antagonist properties, the findings of this study offer further support for the hypothesis that certain behavioral effects of PCP-like drugs may result from a reduction of neurotransmission at excitatory synapses utilizing NMDA-preferring receptors. The behavioral similarities between MK-801 and PCP make it relevant to evaluate PCP-like activity in clinical trials of MK-801.

Volume 245, Issue 3, pp. 969-974, 06/01/1988
Copyright © 1988 by American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics

Anyone have access to the synthesis of this?

Subjectively, MK-801 isn't much like PCP - it produces a weird state that isn't too pleasant (think it's because it doesn't have the dopaminergic action that PCP has)

mk-801.gif

Last edited:
I've looked into the synthesis of MK-801. I requires some level of sophistication and is far beyond kitchen chemistry. If you have to ask here for the synthesis, you're lightyears away from the level of knowledge needed to make this compound. And as others have said, it's not really worth it.

fastandbulbous said:
Subjectively, MK-801 isn't much like PCP - it produces a weird state that isn't too pleasant (think it's because it doesn't have the dopaminergic action that PCP has)

Hmm

In which way is PCP beleived to augment dopamine??

Is it related to the opioid receptor binding -> GABA inhibition -> Dopamine Release axis?

Or are you saying PCP acts directly on dopamine receptors or dopamine transporter??

Are you also saying that PCP is not a weird and unpleasant state?? Ive never used, but from what ive read it doesnt exactly sound like a narcotic kind of enjoyment.

PCP can be fun. MK-801 just makes you a zombie... not in a bad way, more in a "I can't remember an actual single thing that happened to me in the last 4 hours kinda way).

There's this paper that suggests that PCP and ketamine both act straight on dopamine receptors...

PCP is well know to be a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. The close PCP derivative BTCP looses all activity at the NMDA receptor complex, but is a rather potent, cocaine-like DAT inhibitor.

How about NPPCA (N-propyl-phenylcyclohexylamine)?

Yeah, that'll work like PCP (well actually like eticyclidine - N-ethyl-1-phenylcyclohexylamine). About the same potency as well

BTCP is 1-(1-(2-benzothiophenyl)cyclohexane)piperidine. A benzothiophene molecule, attached at the 2 position, replacing the phenyl group in PCP.

BTW Benzothiophene is like indole only with a sulphur atom where there's a nitrogen in indole

F&B, do you know if benzthiophene, if it has been incorporated into tryptamine analogues at all? using it in place of a normal indole ring?