• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Mixing methylphenidate directly into alcoholic beverages

Dane_Bramuj

Greenlighter
Hey all, i am new here but have been a loooong time lurker
I've always appreciated the bluelight community and the information/shared personal experience/harm reduction available here

Now i am a long time user of prescription stimulants, methylphenidate specifically, in all formulations. My prescribed daily dose is 1x Comcerta 54mg, 1x Ritalin LA 40mg and 6x Ritalin 10 IR

I often combined these with alcohol, and have a lot of experience in doing so.

But recently I've had the thought of whether or not i would be able to just drop 3-4 IR tablets directly into a beer or a pre-mix whisky (not in the hopes of it converting to ethylphenidate, thatd be a silly expectation as far as im concerned), what i am wondering though, is that if doing so, would anything else present in the drink destroy or weaken the active ingredient in some way. Basically would it be waste?

the obvious question of "why would you do that" is not something i can be bothered with, its just a curiosity so if anyone has any helpful answers thats all im after. i wouldnt say this is harm reduction, although if there is any harmful effects i should be aware i would love to be informed of that also. i know what im doing, in terms of using stims+alcohol, but im curious about the possible wastage if i were to try it

apologies if i have posted this in the wrong place, or if this is an answered question, but i couldnt find anything beyond taking the two together, which i already do.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hey Dane, welcome to bluelight

As long as you keep the bottle out of the light and in a cool place it should retain the potency of the methylphenidate, lots of drugs can be stored for a while in alcohol. Maybe there's a specific chemical reaction that'll happen between something in the liquor but most likely it'll be fine.

Oh and don't put them in beer, the fine powder will create a ton of nucleation points for the carbon dioxide and it will foam up like crazy and cause it to go flat, at least that's my experience with powders and carbonated beverages.

I know you already know but I gotta say it because I think it's in my job description or some shit, pretty sure ethylphenidate is cardio toxic in a similar fashion to coke and alcohol.

Last edited:
Hey
Hey Dane, welcome to bluelight

As long as you keep the bottle out of the light and in a cool place it should retain the potency of the methylphenidate, lots of drugs can be stored for a while in alcohol. Maybe there's a specific chemical reaction that'll happen between something in the liquor but most likely it'll be fine.

Oh and don't put them in beer, the fine powder will create a ton of nucleation points for the carbon dioxide and it will foam up like crazy and cause it to go flat, at least that's my experience with powders and carbonated beverages.

I know you already know but I gotta say it because I think it's in my job description or some shit, pretty sure ethylphenidate is cardio toxic in a similar fashion to coke and alcohol.
thanks mate! really appreciate your help here!

I'll definitely avoid dumping them in beer

maybe i should have been more specific, but i am actually intending to mash the pills up, toss em in a drink to consume straight away, not for storage of any kind

BUT you still answered my question either way haha

i am familiar with "iso reduction" or whatever its call to remove the pill filler, i so i know alcohol itself is no issue, im just concerned that the mixer for the drink may affect it, ill avoid beer though!

im thinking now that the 10-15 minutes it takes to down a drink wont be anywhere near enough time to affect the mph

thank you falsifiedhypothesi, youre advice is much appreciated

I'd be wary of hydrolysis to ritalinic acid from the water in the booze (even straight whiskey is near 60% water). Shouldn't be an issue if consumed super quickly, but I'd put money on it losing potency stored for a while.

Edit: also ethylphenidate isn't like cocaethylene, in that its more cardiotoxic. Cocaine and friends are especially cardiotoxic because they combine stimulation with sodium channel blockade (causes the numbness of coke, but also slows down the heart's action potentials and can lead to arrhythmias when combined with increased adrenergic stimulation (or even on its own in the case of lidocaine). The phenidates lack this activity.

I'd be wary of hydrolysis to ritalinic acid from the water in the booze (even straight whiskey is near 60% water). Shouldn't be an issue if consumed super quickly, but I'd put money on it losing potency stored for a while.

Edit: also ethylphenidate isn't like cocaethylene, in that its more cardiotoxic. Cocaine and friends are especially cardiotoxic because they combine stimulation with sodium channel blockade (causes the numbness of coke, but also slows down the heart's action potentials and can lead to arrhythmias when combined with increased adrenergic stimulation (or even on its own in the case of lidocaine). The phenidates lack this activity.

Thank you Skorpio!

that is an interesting point to consider!

i do plan to consume the mph mixed into the drink straight away, but i am curious about the process of hydrolysis in regard to ritalin, if you could be bothered elaborating, id be interested, but no worries if its a bit much to ask, i do appreciate your reply!!

Thank you Skorpio!

that is an interesting point to consider!

i do plan to consume the mph mixed into the drink straight away, but i am curious about the process of hydrolysis in regard to ritalin, if you could be bothered elaborating, id be interested, but no worries if its a bit much to ask, i do appreciate your reply!!

First off, if you are going to consume it right away, there should be no issues. The stomach is a much harsher environment, and enough ritalin survives it to get into your system. I guess my main caution was that if stored for years and years, it would continuously lose potency at a modest rate.

Now to get into a little more depth regarding ester hydrolysis.
images

It is an equilibrium reaction, which means that the presence of an excess of reactants or products will drive ester formation or hydrolysis to the corresponding carboxylic acid. Ester hydrolysis is also driven by the presence of acid ions.

Methylphenidate is a methyl ester of ritalinic acid.
1280px-Ritalinic_acid-2D-skeletal.svg.png

Ritalinic acid

1280px-Methylphenidate-2D-skeletal.svg.png

Methylphenidate

Ritalinic acid is inactive and a metabolite of both methyl and ethylphenidate (ethyl ester of course). These drugs get hydrolyzed much quicker in the body due to the presence of enzymes called carboxyesterases (especially carboxyesterase I), which promote rapid ester hydrolysis. Also don't worry about the methanol formed when the ester is broken. The human body can handle small amounts of methanol produced during cellular processes (still don't drink the stuff though), as that is a rather routine metabolite.

Skorpio, again thank you so much

i am so grateful for you sharing this with me

it may not exactly be applicable to what im planning to to do, but i am intrigued none the less

you seem very knowledgable, and i enjoyed your response, though to make full sense of it, ill have to do my own research if i ever feel the urge to dig deeper, but i very much appreciate your time and effort, especially how you've worded this in a way that i can for the most part make sense of.

thank you!

This reaction occurs in the human body, not in a glass of ethanol

….and it’s the non desirable Levo-Ethylphenidate isomer that is produced by the liver via coadministration of Racemic Methylphenidate and ethanol (alcohol) in addition to Ritalinic Acid

Taking Ritalin/Concerta/Biphentin with ethanol increases level of the desirable dextro-methylphenidate by 40% (Focalin) in addition to l-EPH & Ritalinic Acid. Taking methylphenidate with a meal also speeds absorption.

d-Ethylphenidate isn’t produced (non significant levels anyhow)