• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos mixing methadone xanax and ativan? bad idea? deadly idea?

pahn

Bluelighter
hi all. im on methadone maintanence 70mg. lately ive been taking about 1.5mg-2.5mg xanax for about 4 days with very few side effects which i know is dangerous to begin wit, anywho, i have 3-1mg ativan that i want to take tomorrow on top of my 70mg methadone but i normally take 5mg ativan, so could i substitute like .5mg xanax for the missing ativan dose or is that a VERY bad idea? thanks for any help guys!!!! long live blueight!!!! btw i obviously have a decent benzo tolerance, i actually just recently built it up over the past few weeks. before i could barley take .5mg of ativan on top of my dones without gettin BAD spins...now i take 5mg of ativan and i get mild spins and a lil drowsy. hell i just took 3.5mg xanax and i barely feel anythin. lol its strange how fast i got a benzo tolerance. i just started takin xanax a week ago, and i can already take 2 bars with little effect on top of 70mg dones....thats fucked up!

You are going down a slippery slope. I've seen you posting a lot recently about this sort of thing, and it's not good to be dependent on both benzos and methadone. Most clinics have a zero tolerance policy for benzos and will force you to do a quick taper off the methadone if you test positive for benzos.

Just stick with the ativan to avoid the inevitable 'just took ativan + xanax on top of my methadone, am I going to die' thread that you will probably make if you do it.

i agree with Tommyboy. I've known people that have died from methadone/xanax combination even with a tolerance. Just stick with methadone and ativan.

Very bad idea. I spent two days in a coma due to a similar cocktail of drugs.

Ask the clinic what they think...they are in charge of your destiny.

agreed. bad bad combo. i had a mad benzo habit when i started on my script and they are assholes when it comes to benzos. It ain't like with a opiate addiction where they give u substitute drugs. if u run out of benzos with a habit you risk your life basically. Its horrible, i wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemies. I don't think id even wish that upon evil politicians and people like that which is saying something.
+ opiates and benzos are a pretty bad combo in general i don't really know about with methadone as much but my combo DOC is benzos and opiates and its taken me over like 5 times now so it doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Last edited:
You can replace your dose of lorazepam with the equivalent dose of alprazolam smooth

Regarding the other issue that happens is that you have developed tolerance to benzodiazepines (benzos have the cross-tolerance)

I combine my daily dose of methadone with 2 mg Trankimazin. (spanish Xanax) and Valium 10. It is a dangerous combination that should be done only if you have tolerance and safe doses. In Spain the leading cause of death among opioid addicts is the combination of methadone with benzos and/or alcohol ahead of heroin overdose.

Yeah my fiancé died in front of me and there was nothing that could be done to save her from morphine sulphate instant release tablets and the hundreds of blues (10mg Diaz tabs) that we took daily as we were addicted to them. I'm waiting for my trial in court because they are trying to pin it all on me basically. Bad times!

Re: adicted - "Trankimazin...." Is tht the brand name or a joke? THts such a good name! The way I read it it sounds like "tranques amazing! ". And we all know tranquillisersare amazing!

Omg. Don't do that. I have a friend who died from just methadone and Xanax-- went to sleep, thought he was just nodding, didnt wake up. There's a reason methadone clinics don't play that game. I'm sorry to be a party pooper. Ativan I've never heard about reacting badly?

You ever see that guy who is shit faced and insisting he's not that drunk? Benzos produce the same. People insist they barely feel anything while slurring their words, acting impulsively, saying inappropriate things and remembering none of it. You can insist you know your body and you know how it affects you but the fact is you CAN'T.

With benzos, this usually just means acting like an ass or doing something stupid like putting a grilled cheese sandwich in a VCR (true BL story), but for someone on a sizeable dose of methadone this could be where you cross the line from being fine to not breathing. If you keep pushing it, you make this more and more likely of a possibility.

I bet most BLers know someone who has died from taking benzos with opioids (methadone especially and by a wide margin). A friend of mine (on BL and in person) died because he kept insisting he couldn't feel the benzos on top of the opioids he was taking and just kept taking more until he stopped breathing.

Please don't be the next shrine thread, it's not worth it to risk losing the methadone maintenance, let alone your life.

OMG ITS CANE HIMSELF!!! I am sooo honored just by the fact that cane has posted on one of my threads. im sure u dont remember me, but i'd say prolly a good 3-4 years ago when i first started comin to bl u were like my personal fucking savior! u seriously saved my life with your amazing profound knowledge which always seemed to come in the knick of time and prevent me from doing something stupid, or more stupid than what i've previously done. you've taught me much through the thousands of posts i've read of yours, being in my threads or others, but you even took the time out to im me a few times, and it meant a lot to me. i highly respect you buddy and i look up to you like a sort of mentor. thank you all for your contribution to the thread, especially u cane! long time no see! i hope all is well buddy. thank you all again. i'll be sure to taper my doses down to .5mg and .25mg until i can get off the xanax completely and possibly look into getting back on low doses of klonopin or ativan which i know is much safer than xanax to say the least. i also know a handful of ppl who died from the done xanax cocktail, however they took them both together, which i dose usually a good 8 hours apart, and also they had either other opiates, benzos, or alcohol mixed into it which im sure didnt help their situations at all. im still glad there are ppl out there such as urselves that will take the time out of ur day to help hopeless underlings such as myself with my stupid addiction problems, but i sincerely thank you all for your generosity and charity. Thank you all and long live bluelight! and cane, if you remember me at all im me and let me know what you've been up to man! i miss you bro!

I've been taking 90 MG of methadone for over 2 years and 3 to 5 MG of Xanax with 8t for about a year. I like to drop 1.5 MG into my bottles of methadone let them dissolve and then drink it and then snort 2 mgs. I even take 25 MG of melatonin every n8ght. I've Never nodded out or anything and feel like I could even take about 8 MG of Xanax if I had that many. I don't see what the big deal is.

That is a super fucked-up and tragic anecdote, theatarisfan. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.

I am allowed to take ativan with my methadone. So it wont automatically kill you. But my doctor knows I have PTSD and that sometimes if I don't have lorazepam I am screwed. But obviously that comes with the fact that you should never take too much. Only RXd amounts.

I don't see what the big deal is.

The big deal is that a lot of people have OD'ed and died due to that exact combination of drugs. Even people with big tolerances. Some day it is just too much and you may not wake up after nodding away.

Methadone+Benzos (especially Xanax) is like the main Overdose-Combination, just check the Bluelight-Shrine and see how many ex-forum members passed away from these drugs.

i agree with Tommyboy. I've known people that have died from methadone/xanax combination even with a tolerance. Just stick with methadone and ativan.
That makes no sense you can't take Xanax with methadone but u can take Ativan they are both benzos both used for the same thing MAKES NO SENSE PERIOD

The big deal is that a lot of people have OD'ed and died due to that exact combination of drugs. Even people with big tolerances. Some day it is just too much and you may not wake up after nodding away.

Methadone+Benzos (especially Xanax) is like the main Overdose-Combination, just check the Bluelight-Shrine and see how many ex-forum members passed away from these drugs.
What's the difference between Ativan and Xanax NOTHING THEY ARE BOTH BENZO