• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mirabilis multiflora

I too have been curious about this plant for a while. It is quite common in parts of the southwest and my last time through I dug up a couple. Unfortunately, I somehow managed to lose the roots while keeping the rest of the plant. Hmm...

I wonder about the effectiveness of the dried root material and extracts which are available on the net. Judging from the lack of reports I'm thinking the fresh root is probably the way to go if any effect is to be had.

It is like that with calamus root. It has to be relatively fresh for any strong effects to be had.

The plant is growing now, after the brutal fucking winter, so I will have some 1st person info in a few (>6) weeks once the plants flower.

I assume you dont have the species native to and that grows in NZ? I may try this variety sometime in the near future. Ill probably wait for you report to come in though ;)

Very interested in hearing of your experiences, egor!

Now you've gone and got me interested :D

I live in CA though, and it would appear that neither of these plants grow naturally here in socal.

I'll keep an eye out for these plants though anyway.

genaro said:
how did it go?
root or extract?
effects?

Unfortunately, I lost contact with my guide over the summer and I am out on my own with this one. I collected a good bit of fresh root and have it frozen, but havent gotten around to an assay just yet.

^Everyone I've spoken to has indicated the plant isn't all that good. Even extracted root, fresh root- not much effect has been noticed. Have you looked at Mirabilis jalpa- I hear an anecdotal report of a "guy" prepareing it (fresh_ for smoking; the plant secreted much juice/liquid and covered the guys hands-
.i noticed a stimulation that lasted an hour or so i think,then i had visitors and i became quite befudled,everything was dificult.
the befudlement is what stopped me repeating the exp.have a vauge memory i may have moved my bowels a little eary on.

This one seems very touch and go.

^^from what I have read, mirabilis jalapa is a powerful emetic and to be avoided at all costs. Let me see if I can find some slightly more concise info:\

The story I quoted was mirabilis jalapa, multifolra and d.....? Cannot remember the name. Apparently multiflora and jalapa are commonly mixed up; still everything I've read seems to suggest the psychedelic effect is either fleeting, non-existent or negative. Still, have a try....

well here are all the mirabilis species:

Mirabilis elegans
Mirabilis jalapa
Mirabilis laevis (aka mirabilis californica)
Mirabilis longiflora
Mirabilis multiflora (aka Quamoclidion multiflorum)
Mirabilis viscosa

from what I read on the web (that is to say very little info), mirabilis multiflora (known as SO'KSI) is suggested as a possible hallucinogen, mirabilis jalapa is also possibly psychoactive but it is a powerful emetic.
Both can be easily acquired from plant nurseries (or harvested from garden plantations around), also there's a webshop selling M.multiflora extract (cheap)

So, here's come the doc, it was originally from 'legal highs' (txt file), but sightly reformulated by webshops to make it more appealing:
M.multiflora is a magenta-flowered perennial found at elevations of 2500-5000 ft on hillsides among rocks and shrubs throughout Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and northern Mexico.
Hopi shamans chew the root and swallow its juice to induce visionary trances for diagnostic divination. No known negative effects. The Hopis use the root for stomach ailments, but a Hopi `Medicine Man' uses a copious amount of so'ksi or so'kya by chewing the large root and swallowing the juice while making his diagnosis; this permits him to expel the evil spirits residing in the body of the sick person. Root of similar species Mirabilis jalapa (four- o'clocks) may possess similar activity, but it is also a powerful emetic.
Note that M. multiflora has 2-5 flowers per calyx, while M. jalapa has only one.

Important: note that there's no evidence of mirabilis species having any psychoactive activity, and I couldn't find any reliable source for the info (meaning that I couldn't find the original source for the info that was quoted in the 'legal highs' text file).

Willow 11, according to the quote you made, M.jalapa might be active transdermally (which is good, as avoiding oral use is probably best considering it's an emetic).
And the very good thing here is that swim has a mirabilis jalapa plant in his garden, and will possibly be acquiring a mirabilis multiflora plant from a nursery this weekend

...swim enjoys growing plants, if mirabilis spp. grow fast enough to be harvested soon, then swim might give these a try. If so, swim will report, of course.

Last edited:
Got bored and chewed about 3g of root to no effect. May try more later in the week.

In the literature I have it says a dose of 28-57g of root, either chewed or pressed into a juice and drank, causes a "half hour of gaiety."

Also, the Zuni Indians bake a bread using flour made from the root and use it as an appetite suppressant.

It would seem you need to up the dose egor!

6g chewed root produced no effects, will have to up it to 10 next week...

The suspense! Egor, are you chewing the root you had frozen last year, or fresh root? If frozen root, are you letting it thaw before eating it?

^^Yeah, I thaw it, I dont think chewing it frozen would work to well.

Botany 101

Mirabilis multiflora & M. califorica grow abundantly all over southern California. The large root remains underground and shows itself in the summertime when is grows quite rapidly. Flowers open in the afternoon and stay open until dusk. =D

Last edited: