View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mirabilis multiflora

egor

Bluelighter
I searched quite a bit for any useful info on this traditional Hopi divinatory tool.
I am very curious as the plant grows all over the place on the trails I ride, and near the river I flyfish. I can find no info other than this:

Mirabilis multiflora info

SO'KSI Mirabilis multiflora. Family Nyctaginaceae (Four-o'clock family).
Material: Root of magenta-flowered oerennial found at elevations of 2500-5600 ft. on hillsides amoung rocks and shrubs throughout Arizona, Utah, Colorado and northern Mexico.
Usage: Large root is chewed and juice is swallowed. Used by Hopi medicine men for diagnostic divination.
Active Constituents: Unidentified.
Effects: Hallucinogen.
Contraindictions: None known. Root of similar species M. jalapa (four-o'clocks) may posses similar activity, but is also powerful emetic.

Medicinal Uses
Disclaimer
Hallucinogenic; Poultice; Stomachic.

The root is used in the treatment of stomach complaints[192]. A pinch of the powdered root is said to relieve hunger[207], it can also be used after overeating to relieve the discomfort[257]. A poultice of the powdered root can be applied to swellings[257].

Large quantities of the root are said to cause intoxication[192]. The root was chewed by native North American Medicine men to induce visions whilst making a diagnosis[257].

Anyone know of any 1st person experience reports or hplc/gc-ms analysis?
Any idea on the active chemicals, or any risks of acute physical toxicity?

Erowid, lyceaum, and wikipedia have nothing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link acidrain.
I am planning some "for science" bioassays later in the year with the identification and preperation assistance from a local hopi man. I want to find as much as I can about it before ingesting it.

Anyone have a copy of the Entheogen Review article??

It would actually be interesting. Mirabilis multiflora and also shanshi (Coriaria thymifolia) are easily available and have been for some time, but there are no reports on their effects anywhere. shanshi is a peruvian hallucinogenic plant btw. I've always felt that M. multiflora had some potential but always waited for other reports. I once tried a small amount of the root chewed fresh from a Colorado 4o'clock that I grew and the effects were subtle and difficult to expain. Certainly not strong. Never did try it again though I also plan to revisit this plant at some time in the future.

I've been interested in mirabilis multiflora for quite some time, but haven't found anything. That is awesome that you know a hopi man who will help out.

I will do a nice, in depth write up once the plant has been experienced at various doses and with a few other choice substances.

It is insane how little info there is on this one, isnt it.

not that I remember. Not much at all happened, but obviously didn't taste good.
i have dry root and extract that I will try out at some point. The plant I had was young when it died from being left out during a cold spell and I salvaged the root to use after that. The alkaloid content may have been low because it was immature.

so true, there is next to nothing. i am far more interested in natural psychoactives than synthetics, so this is really exciting for me.

psychedelicious said:
so true, there is next to nothing. i am far more interested in natural psychoactives than synthetics, so this is really exciting for me.

That's great; I'm similar, but unfortunately there's so much more readily available info with regards to synthetics. This really does sound interesting, especially because the parents have used it for years to calm stomachs after 'excess'!

icancu2k said:
That's great; I'm similar, but unfortunately there's so much more readily available info with regards to synthetics. This really does sound interesting, especially because the parents have used it for years to calm stomachs after 'excess'!

Do you have any useful insight as to the effects of larger doses after seing the parents using it??
Do they ever seem obviously intoxicated from the root alone?
Have you ever personally tried the root at ant dose?
Do your parents ever suffer any significant side effects?

Any other info you have would be greatly appreciated:)

General alcazar said:
It would actually be interesting. Mirabilis multiflora and also shanshi (Coriaria thymifolia) are easily available and have been for some time, but there are no reports on their effects anywhere. shanshi is a peruvian hallucinogenic plant btw. I've always felt that M. multiflora had some potential but always waited for other reports. I once tried a small amount of the root chewed fresh from a Colorado 4o'clock that I grew and the effects were subtle and difficult to expain. Certainly not strong. Never did try it again though I also plan to revisit this plant at some time in the future.

Some basic shansi info for you.

C. thymifolia. Also known as Shansi, this shrub is native to Peru and New Zealand. The fruit of this Andean shrub is ingestested for its intoxicating effects. Some of its active chemicals are: coriamyrtine, coriatine, tutine, and pseudotutine. Large doses of this plant can possibly cause stupor, coma and convulsions.

Coriaria is the sole genus in the family Coriariaceae. It includes about 30 species of subshrubs, shrubs and small trees, with a widespread but disjunct distribution across warm temperate regions of the world, occurring as far apart as the Mediterranean region, southern and eastern Asia, New Zealand, the Pacific Ocean islands, and Central and South America.
The leaves are opposite or in whorls, simple, 2-9 cm long, without stipules. The flowers are borne in racemes 2-30 cm long, each flower small, greenish, with five small petals. The fruit is a small and shiny black (occasionally yellow or red) berry-like swollen corolla, highly poisonous in several species, though those of C. terminalis are edible.
The Mediterranean species C. myrtifolia is known as Redoul, and the several New Zealand species are known by the Māori name of Tutu.
The South American species C. ruscifolia is an evergreen climber known as Deu or Huique, and its fruits are used in Southern Chile to make rat poison.
SHANSI -- _Coriaria thymifolia._ Family Coriariaceae.
Material: Purple berries of frond-like shrub found in Andes and
of similar species (_C. japonica,_ _C. muscifolia_).
Usage: Berries are eaten. Active substances also in leaves.
Active Constituents: Cathecholic compounds, sesquiterpenes:
coriamyrtine, coriatine, tutine, and pseudotutine.
Effects: Stimulation, hallucinations, and sensations of flight.
Contraindications: Little known about this substance. Some
tribes regard it as toxic. Large doses may cause stupor, coma,
convulsions.

egor said:
Do you have any useful insight as to the effects of larger doses after seing the parents using it??
Do they ever seem obviously intoxicated from the root alone?
Have you ever personally tried the root at ant dose?
Do your parents ever suffer any significant side effects?

Any other info you have would be greatly appreciated:)

Firstly, no not at all; my parents are quite 'old-fashioned', probably quite a bit more so than the average person of their age. They use alcohol quite a bit, cannabis very rarely but they are very naive as to altered states. No noticeable side effects. It's also worth noting that they only used to suck/chew on a very small part. It seems that the use was advised during childhood by a grandparent, like an old-timers remedy.

Yes, I know what shanshi is egor, but I have not found one testimonial from anyone who has tried it (thanks for the info, though). It is available easily on the net in both raw and extracted form but no reports. I'll probably try it at some point, but it would be nice to know what to expect.

I have also searched in vain for at least 1 1st person report on either substance. I hate being the test subject;)

A friend of mine tried what we thought was a large dose of shansi resinous extract, but he noticed no effects.