• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Methods to stay clean - suggestions?

Forever Changes

Bluelighter
Hi all

When your tolerance to a drug has skyrocketed and you know you need to give it a break for a while, what are some of the methods you use to resist temptation?

Hi all

When your tolerance to a drug has skyrocketed and you know you need to give it a break for a while, what are some of the methods you use to resist temptation?
I've found the things that really help me are all the typical things you hear about - physical exercise, meditation, pursuing interests of passion, physical contact, time with friends and loved ones, music, art/experience in general. immersing myself in the here and now world as opposed to my internal world of chemical phantoms. Once I make it past the first week or two, things seem to get drastically easier and instead of faking it along, i begin to enjoy and get into my normal life experience.

I've found the things that really help me are all the typical things you hear about - physical exercise, meditation, pursuing interests of passion, physical contact, time with friends and loved ones, music, art/experience in general. immersing myself in the here and now world as opposed to my internal world of chemical phantoms. Once I make it past the first week or two, things seem to get drastically easier and instead of faking it along, i begin to enjoy and get into my normal life experience.

That's all good advice, thanks. Problem is, a lot of those things - enjoying art/music/interests etc I would use drugs to enhance.... so now they don't seem as enjoyble and life seems more empty.

Also, I tended to use drugs as a 'reward' for getting some work done that I didn't want to do or was hard. Without that reward, I lack the motivation to do much at all...

That's all good advice, thanks. Problem is, a lot of those things - enjoying art/music/interests etc I would use drugs to enhance.... so now they don't seem as enjoyble and life seems more empty.

Also, I tended to use drugs as a 'reward' for getting some work done that I didn't want to do or was hard. Without that reward, I lack the motivation to do much at all...
it will be that way for a minute as your receptors work back to normal. that's why i mentioned the "faking it" part. It's difficult for the first bit as you re-stablish associations positively, and get your reward system to start functioning in a natural way again. We spend years digging these holes, and then get mad when things aren't back together in a couple of weeks. It definitely requires tolerating some boredom, possibly painful mental space and a lot of anhedonia, ime the end is worth it though, and feeling more natural joy and emotions is priceless.

do you cold turkey or taper?
I've found the things that really help me are all the typical things you hear about - physical exercise, meditation, pursuing interests of passion, physical contact, time with friends and loved ones, music, art/experience in general. immersing myself in the here and now world as opposed to my internal world of chemical phantoms. Once I make it past the first week or two, things seem to get drastically easier and instead of faking it along, i begin to enjoy and get into my normal life experience=

i titrate everything. imo there is no reason to make things harder on your brain than they need to be.
I figured, thats what im doing, Now im on oxy 100mg a day and its spread out. I literally get a little high from just a 30mg IR and a Xanax. I like this but yesterday I took 45 and was in heaven. SO I feel my tolerance going from 200mg a day plus to this and I still get a little buzz so I guess I'm doing thig this thing right now?

i titrate everything. imo there is no reason to make things harder on your brain than they need to be.
any tips, as I am coming back from vacation today and going to run out but have some fent m30 to hold me over till my next oxy comes, do you think its safe to just take ONE m30 just to hold me over till the post comes with my oxy?

id just ride it out if it's only a day or two, it would be good for my receptors and continue titrating lower if i could tolerate it. or get some kratom extract shots just to take the edge off. i would want to avoid taking a super high binding affinity opioid.

id just ride it out if it's only a day or two, it would be good for my receptors and continue titrating lower if i could tolerate it. or get some kratom extract shots just to take the edge off. i would want to avoid taking a super high binding affinity opioid.
so just suffer it out before just using the thing Im getting off as a for getting sick

it will be that way for a minute as your receptors work back to normal. that's why i mentioned the "faking it" part. It's difficult for the first bit as you re-stablish associations positively, and get your reward system to start functioning in a natural way again. We spend years digging these holes, and then get mad when things aren't back together in a couple of weeks. It definitely requires tolerating some boredom, possibly painful mental space and a lot of anhedonia, ime the end is worth it though, and feeling more natural joy and emotions is priceless.

I had never heard the word 'anhedonia' before, but on looking it up that really seems to apply to me. When I have the drug/alcohol to look forward to, I'm more productive, creative, motivated, good to be with. Without the anticipation of reward, all my negative traits come out - bored, apathetic, unmotivated, lazy, withdrawn, depressed.

A part of me wishes I had never picked up that first drink over 20 years ago, even though I had some of the best times of my life back then. The flipside is the rest of my life seems to have been one big comedown, and I've been trying to find various substitute drugs since then. When I have, I've inevitably never had the discipline to ration my use, so the cycle begins again....

do you cold turkey or taper?

I've don't believe I've ever been physically addicted to a drug/alcohol. My dependence has always been psychological, so I never really needed to taper. I can stop, but I still crave the drug and I go into a negative hole like I described above, and all those negative attributes surface. The pills I've been using recently generate quite a rapid tolerance when I use them daily, so I end up taking higher and higher doses, and it takes a long time of abstinance to get the tolerance back down to zero, if that's even possible at all.

I need to discipline myself to only using once a week rather than daily. Athough I know the healthiest thing would be for me to never use a drug for recreational purposes ever again....

I had never heard the word 'anhedonia' before, but on looking it up that really seems to apply to me. When I have the drug/alcohol to look forward to, I'm more productive, creative, motivated, good to be with. Without the anticipation of reward, all my negative traits come out - bored, apathetic, unmotivated, lazy, withdrawn, depressed.

A part of me wishes I had never picked up that first drink over 20 years ago, even though I had some of the best times of my life back then. The flipside is the rest of my life seems to have been one big comedown, and I've been trying to find various substitute drugs since then. When I have, I've inevitably never had the discipline to ration my use, so the cycle begins again....
it took me quite awhile before I was able to admit my addiction and not till the past couple years have I had physical withdraws from anything. I remember I was driving cross country from NY to CA and I had maybe 5 m30's with me to hep me last. I didn't know what PW we're so I would take a subxone in the morning after doing 1-2 m30's the night before. let me tell you that was a hell I couldn't barer, I was screaming in mental and physical pain and would then take a other m30's in the morning pass out and wake uo and take another sub and then again put into PW. That last time it got so bad I went to the ER and they thought my balls were tangled because I was screaming and puking in pain lol they gave me the strongest anti-nasusa you can get and I was still dry heaving. They kept me for a couple days to do biopsy of ym stomach cause when I get WD my stomach is the main pain I get and the mental part but I always have enough Xanax to kill a horse lol so thats not the bad part. but they did give me morphine to come me down and norcos for the time I was there which helped so incredibly and when I was hydrated and left I was still a little fucked up but nothing like when I had entered the ER days before. I will NEVER in American tel the doctor I was using drugs as they immediately look at you deferetly and the judging feelings come out. I love America but drug abuse and they way they approach it is very Middle Ages but stalest I won't get killed dover a gram of weed like some other countries.

...you have to be content by your natural chemicals and have goals / hobbies to work on , you will have to stay and process any difficult feelings for a couple weeks also but every day you will be feeling a little bit better..i get what you say about the reward system but it s mainly an obsession the fact that drugs will make you feel better ..which they do but only for a little bit and then you feel worst ..you wouldn't keep on taking loans from the bank for stupid reasons would you? That would make you a slave to the bank , you dont want that . You re gonna find different/healthier rewards in time or change your lifestyle all together.

...you have to be content by your natural chemicals and have goals / hobbies to work on , you will have to stay and process any difficult feelings for a couple weeks also but every day you will be feeling a little bit better..i get what you say about the reward system but it s mainly an obsession the fact that drugs will make you feel better ..which they do but only for a little bit and then you feel worst ..you wouldn't keep on taking loans from the bank for stupid reasons would you? That would make you a slave to the bank , you dont want that . You re gonna find different/healthier rewards in time or change your lifestyle all together.
very well stated and yes the problem is breaking the cycle of using with my hobbies like running or other things that I know can't do without the drug because I get so sick from WD I can't do my hobbies because of that. It a sick circle of misery that we live in when we do things like this.

Good point. Those loans are really fun though when you first get them…

BTW ‘am I ever hella jonesing tonight. Heart rate is up even. I figured out my relapse plan. It’ll only be a little bit of synthetic fun (quarter gram at most as usual). Thought I could get through this. Just gotta keep extending the sober gaps / amount of time between uses and I’ll be okay.

...you have to be content by your natural chemicals and have goals / hobbies to work on , you will have to stay and process any difficult feelings for a couple weeks also but every day you will be feeling a little bit better..i get what you say about the reward system but it s mainly an obsession the fact that drugs will make you feel better ..which they do but only for a little bit and then you feel worst ..you wouldn't keep on taking loans from the bank for stupid reasons would you? That would make you a slave to the bank , you dont want that . You re gonna find different/healthier rewards in time or change your lifestyle all together

But do the natural chemical rewards ever return after hardwiring your brain with artificial chemical rewards for so long?

It's true that abstinence does get a little bit easier every day in my experience. The first day is always the hardest, second day slightly easier etc... until I fall off the wagon... :confused:

I made myself an appointment at the salon.
I am going to get a new haircut.

I have bought myself some nice new clothes and I am going to get a new hairstyle too!

I am making a transformation.
🦋

But do the natural chemical rewards ever return after hardwiring your brain with artificial chemical rewards for so long?

It's true that abstinence does get a little bit easier every day in my experience. The first day is always the hardest, second day slightly easier etc... until I fall off the wagon... :confused:
Yes. They do.
It takes a lot of time, but your brain does heal and your body does start returning to natural chemical reward.
Your body is WAY tougher than you know.
I know...due to injury, just how resilient the human body is.
No one is a lost cause.