• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Methamphetamine vs Amphetamine (Sulfate?). How to tell the difference?

uivodoet

Bluelighter
Let's say a person hypothetically scored some 'speed' from some random shady street dealer.

The person gets a small bag of white powder, the person cares about their health, harm-reduction, etc, and also wants to know what they are putting into their body because it's interesting to know.

The person does not have any lab-equipment, litmus-paper, testing-kits and is to lazy, paranoid and to much of a cheapskate to send some off to a 'harm-reduction testing-lab'.

The person tries a small sample like 100mg and it's most likely 'speed', strong speed.

Is there any practical DIY-methods of figuring out if it's meth-powder or amphetamine-powder?

(Sorry if this topic is all-ready posted somewhere, I tried search I did not find it. Also sorry if this question breaks any 'draconian rules' that Im not aware of, let's hope not).😳

Meth effects last a hell of a lot longer, and if you snorted that mystery powder, you would instantly know if it’s meth by how badly it burns.
But naturally, we don’t ever recommend sniffing mystery powders. Although it’s true that meth burns - so do dozens of other caustic agents it could be.

Thanks The Wizard of the Creek. 🙂

Thanks for pointing this out Atelier3. You are right, but this is just a hypothetical question.​

Okay. So we established that 'meth-amp' might burn your nose more then 'amp'.
(But that so can baking-soda or some other caustic chemical).

Both 'meth-amp' and 'amp' are caustic to some degree?

Is there like any distinct smell that is a is a dead giveaway?

(I have no personal experience from 'meth', but i read/heard that it's not very smelly?)

People smoke 'meth-amp' but thats crystal form. Would you be able to smoke a more low-grade powder?
I know for sure you can't smoke 'amp', or maybe you can but not from what I heard.

Could one hypothetically try to burn some of the powder on some kitchen tin-foil and see some-kind of difference in the way it burned/didn't burn. Or if there was smoke, or if the smoke smelled in a certain way?

If it was meth you could dissolve it in a small amount of alcohol or water and see if it recrystalises when the alcohol or water evaporates off (best done at room temperature. If you had a shard that you definitely knew was meth you could throw that in to sees the crystal growth - if your meth shard grew that would be a good indication you had meth in the solution.

However: other dangerous crystaline substances can grow out of that solution though depending on what’s in your powder to begin with. It’s not a definitive test for meth. Just a way to differentiate meth from amp sulfate.

This presumes your meth was originally methamphetamine HCL in crystal form and your speed was amphetamine sulfate powder.

If it was meth you could dissolve it in a small amount of alcohol or water and see if it recrystalises when the alcohol or water evaporates off (best done at room temperature. If you had a shard that you definitely knew was meth you could throw that in to sees the crystal growth - if your meth shard grew that would be a good indication you had meth in the solution.

However: other dangerous crystaline substances can grow out of that solution though depending on what’s in your powder to begin with. It’s not a definitive test for meth. Just a way to differentiate meth from amp sulfate.

This presumes your meth was originally methamphetamine HCL in crystal form and your speed was amphetamine sulfate powder.
Thanks @Atelier3 , this is good to know! Thanks for sharing.😇
In this (totally hypothetical) scenario it's a fine-powder with some bigger lumps of powder, but no crystals.

Thanks for pointing this out Atelier3. You are right, but this is just a hypothetical question.​

(I have no personal experience from 'meth', but i read/heard that it's not very smelly?)

People smoke 'meth-amp' but thats crystal form. Would you be able to smoke a more low-grade powder?
I know for sure you can't smoke 'amp', or maybe you can but not from what I heard.

Could one hypothetically try to burn some of the powder on some kitchen tin-foil and see some-kind of difference in the way it burned/didn't burn. Or if there was smoke, or if the smoke smelled in a certain way?
Correct. You can’t smoke amp sulfate. You also can only smoke the crystal form of meth. Meth is basically odourless if pure so there is no smell test.

One thing you’d want to do in these hypotheticals is acetone wash your substance since both meth and amp sulfate are insoluble in acetone. At least then you will have removed some common cuts and increased the purity of whatever amp you have if you decided to re-crystalise or smoke it.

Just to be clear: you are crazy to consume this powder without a reagent test.

Yeah, I recall smoking white powderspeed back in the day. It was actually pretty rocked up, but I broke down the rock to powder and threw some in some weed and got super high!

Correct. You can’t smoke amp sulfate. You also can only smoke the crystal form of meth. Meth is basically odourless if pure so there is no smell test.

One thing you’d want to do in these hypotheticals is acetone wash your substance since both meth and amp sulfate are insoluble in acetone. At least then you will have removed some common cuts and increased the purity of whatever amp you have if you decided to re-crystalise or smoke it.

Just to be clear: you are crazy to consume this powder without a reagent test.
Hello. thanks for your long and thoughtful reply @Atelier3 and thanks @negrogesic not sure why you thought that the regent-test image was useful.

This is still a hypothetical 'dilemma' that has nothing to do with me being sane/insane/brain, etc. (thank god for that).
As stated in my initial post there is no fancy equipment available, such as regent-tests. (But I agree people should wise-up and always carry a regent test whist running around being silly with powders).

Any other useful 'inside info'?

Yeah, I recall smoking white powderspeed back in the day. It was actually pretty rocked up, but I broke down the rock to powder and threw some in some weed and got super high!
Interesting... I wonder if it's hypothetically possible to take 'amp' or non 'crystal meth' powder, and cook it with baking soda (like how people cook crack) and then obtain some kind of 'rock' that one could hypothetically smoke? (Sorry a bit of topic, but @CfZrx made me wonder.) 👀😉

Hello. thanks for your long and thoughtful reply @Atelier3 and thanks @negrogesic not sure why you thought that the regent-test image was useful.

This is still a hypothetical 'dilemma' that has nothing to do with me being sane/insane/brain, etc. (thank god for that).
As stated in my initial post there is no fancy equipment available, such as regent-tests. (But I agree people should wise-up and always carry a regent test whist running around being silly with powders).

Any other useful 'inside info'?

To be frank i didn't read beyond the title of this.

But in answer to that title, reagents are a DIY answer to that question.

They are hardly fancy equipment. You could have ordered them by the time it took you to post that reply and in a few days you'd know far more definitively than anyone could tell you here.

I was having a conversation with someone about Australian ‘back in the day’ speed powder the other day. And came to the conclusion it might possibly have been an inferior meth (not crystal) rather than amp sulfate.

Because that's the only way you will come within 100 miles of getting an answer to your question.

You'll take the stuff either way so who cares?
Hello @Kaden_Nite !
Since it's still a hypothetical question/dilemma,( Im guessing this is how you would act?👀
If this scenario happened to you? Or how you assume I would act. Or anyone scoring off the street.)

@negrogesic you are right of course, but I believe thats it's in the nature of any 'speed-freak' to be reluctant of ordering 'testing equipment' and other similar things online, because of paranoia, poverty, etc, etc.

And nobody has to do anything. There is always the 'flush this crap down the toilette' option.
😇

Im just probing all the experts here at bluelight, cause Im interested, and cause this thread might come in handy for a person in the future. But your right, people should first of all A/ not buy illegal drugs. B/ Not buy from random people. C/ Always have a test-kit. We understand this.

But we also understand that people in general are not always as grounded, cleaver and well prepared, as they should be.

A simple Simons Reagent will reliably tell you every time. Although my experience with the Marquis Reagent mimics above, that is meth produced a stronger/quicker reaction than plain Amphetamine.

-GC

A simple Simons Reagent will reliably tell you every time. Although my experience with the Marquis Reagent mimics above, that is meth produced a stronger/quicker reaction than plain Amphetamine.

-GC
Cool. Okay 'Simons Reagent' got it. Any other useful info or 'hypothetical info' thats not related to 'test-kits'.

Cool. Okay 'Simons Reagent' got it. Any other useful info or 'hypothetical info' thats not related to 'test-kits'.

“the person cares about their health, harm-reduction, etc”

You wrote this did you not? STFU and get a test kit. You got all the help you need, a single Simons costs less than your shitty unknown bag of speed.

-GC

“the person cares about their health, harm-reduction, etc”

You wrote this did you not? STFU and get a test kit. You got all the help you need, a single Simons costs less than your shitty unknown bag of speed.

-GC
So the hypotethical person should buy a test-kit, okay, thanks great advice.