• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Meth Methamphetamine use and Parkinson's disease

penultimate

Greenlighter
I read a recent report that indicates long-term methamphetamine abuse has been associated with Parkinson's disease later in life. The figure is something like 3x as many chronic users will go on to develop Parkinson's disease before they die, as opposed to the normal population. There is concern also that even occasional use may be dangerous in this respect. Decades ago a I read harrowing account about a bad batch of synthetic heroin cooked up by an amateur chemist which gave it's users instant Parkinson's so severe that their bodies became rigidly catatonic, sometimes with the needle still sticking out of their arm, but still alive. Horrifically the condition was permanent. I wouldn't have given the meth/Parkinson's connection much credence had I not been aware of this earlier story. Having had a father who had Parkinson's disease I am certainly done experimenting with meth. Is there any consensus among the user community here as to how seriously everybody should be taking this reporting? Thank you.