• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Methamphetamine no longer works. Regardless of purity, past 1-2 days

eskimoo

Greenlighter
It's been probably 12 years since I've posted. I tried bluelight.ru and thought it was gone at first.

Anyway so I am currently seeing a neurologist it's been over 18 months and lupus and ms have been ruled out and I'm more than certain I've got Parkinsons.. I'm 30 years old was an IV heroine user for 9 years I've been on methadone 3 years now I've come down from 120mg to 36mg and am on track to be off in a year.

My mental health has been piss poor since I was 15 but my brother died a few years ago and then my three real friends as well as my highschool gf all committed suicide separately but spaced out in less than a year after my brother died and I have become beyond reclusive and anti social from losing the only real friends I've ever had, with my best friend who was also my roommate who hanged himself and I had to find him...

Since all this trauma my parkinsonism has evolved beyond simple parkinsonism with slowly evolving neuropathy and fasciculation originating on my outer nose and is now affecting my lip and eye. It's clear to me I have something wrong.

I occasionally would buy meth off the dude upstairs when my concerta would run out {honestly they both do the same - they get me out of bed, I can some times enjoy playing a video game, go outside etc}, but a buddy of mine came through with some exceptionally high quality stuff and I live in the biggest city in my province but this came from BC not a local cook. I have been sleeping I have been eating but lately it's just making my anxiety disorders worse especially OCD but I never get high enough to the point of wanting to play one of my fav games (escape from tarkov) other than the first day that my buddy came by and gave it to me.

Is this because I've fried my dopamine receptors? I just finished a huge puddle (with a completely clean and see through glass bowl with no foreign objects, usually at the end there's a need to clean the pipe but it's not that significant).

I've been on Xanax for 12 and a half years with my doctor giving me only a six months notice that he's retiring so im 18 weeks I'm gonna be fucked because he said he couldn't find a doctor to take me because I'm on 5.5mg/daily (even when I used to be on 8mg a day{when my brother died}) for years.
I'm also on 600mg Lyrica daily
And 72mg methylphenidate

Why does meth not work I used to be able to binge for multiple weeks and after a sleep I'd be back at it (this was back when I was an IV heroin addict and even after when I was only on methadone)

Anyone got any advice?

Welcome back.
Man you got alot of shit going on...
I can't help because my highest lately have been the same...shitty. think I hit hotspots here and there and get little more but still different high all together...
If you find the answer let me know. I wish you the best of luck. With everything.

If you are taking methylphenidate daily, I think this may be the reason why you don't feel methamphetamine's effects.

Methamphetamine is a dopamine releaser – it acts by reversing the flow of the dopamine transporter so that it releases dopamine instead of recapturing it. However, methylphenidate is a dopamine recapture inhibitor, which actually acts by blocking the dopamine transporter. Methamphetamine is not capable of effectively reversing the transporter if methylphenidate is there blocking said transporter.

In fact, methylphenidate has been researched as a candidate for methamphetamine substitution treatment, as it provides stimulant effects while at the same time blocking some of the effects of methamphetamine, and thus the user is not so compelled to continue using methamphetamine. You can read more about the mechanism in this paper: Simmler et al. (2013) Bupropion, methylphenidate, and 3,4-methylenedioxypyrovalerone antagonize methamphetamine-induced efflux of dopamine according to their potencies as dopamine uptake inhibitors: implications for the treatment of methamphetamine dependence (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3679734).

On another note, there are ways in which your neurologist can be certain if you have Parkinson or not (it's called DaTscan), and I think it is worth to do the investment because if you do, early tratment with Selegiline or other MAO-B inhibitors can actually slow down the progression of the disease considerably. Please also consider not taking more methamphetamine, as it can considerably worsen the symptoms. Interestingly, methylphenidate should be a good stimulant alternative, as some research shows it may be beneficial in some Parkinson patients: Devos et al. (2013) Methylphenidate : a treatment for Parkinson's disease? (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23160937).

Wishing you the best of luck for these rough moments you are going through <3

If you are taking methylphenidate daily, I think this may be the reason why you don't feel methamphetamine's effects.

Methamphetamine is a dopamine releaser – it acts by reversing the flow of the dopamine transporter so that it releases dopamine instead of recapturing it. However, methylphenidate is a dopamine recapture inhibitor, which actually acts by blocking the dopamine transporter. Methamphetamine is not capable of effectively reversing the transporter if methylphenidate is there blocking said transporter.

In fact, methylphenidate has been researched as a candidate for methamphetamine substitution treatment, as it provides stimulant effects while at the same time blocking some of the effects of methamphetamine, and thus the user is not so compelled to continue using methamphetamine. You can read more about the mechanism in this paper: Simmler et al. (2013) Bupropion, methylphenidate, and 3,4-methylenedioxypyrovalerone antagonize methamphetamine-induced efflux of dopamine according to their potencies as dopamine uptake inhibitors: implications for the treatment of methamphetamine dependence (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3679734).

On another note, there are ways in which your neurologist can be certain if you have Parkinson or not (it's called DaTscan), and I think it is worth to do the investment because if you do, early tratment with Selegiline or other MAO-B inhibitors can actually slow down the progression of the disease considerably. Please also consider not taking more methamphetamine, as it can considerably worsen the symptoms. Interestingly, methylphenidate should be a good stimulant alternative, as some research shows it may be beneficial in some Parkinson patients: Devos et al. (2013) Methylphenidate : a treatment for Parkinson's disease? (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23160937).

Joined 2009 and still a greenlighter?!? With posts like that I hope we see more of you :)

-GC

Joined 2009 and still a greenlighter?!? With posts like that I hope we see more of you :)

-GC
I agree. I would like to see more posts from burn it up and I also wonder why his status says GL'er with 112 messages. Must be a glitch that it never rolled over to BLer after the required amount of posts.

I agree. I would like to see more posts from burn it up and I also wonder why his status says GL'er with 112 messages. Must be a glitch that it never rolled over to BLer after the required amount of posts.

Ah good eye I didn’t notice that! Yea wonder what that’s about..

-GC

I actually asked my doctor and he said he never heard of this scan. Tho I never did bring it up to my neurologist..

So does it work the other way around? Cuz typically I don't take methylphenidate when using meth but I have a urinalysis for my methadone and I dont want to lose my weekly carries so I stopped using meth and yesterday took concerta and didn't really feel much so today I took four 36mg concertas and while that usually is enough I'm still shivering under the blankets with clammy hands opposed to actually getting out of bed or shooting my ar15..

And it really means a lot that you took the time to write your response. Really it means more than you know

Stimulants have cross tolerance, all of them. This goes for methylphenidate, concerts, Dexedrine, desoxyn.

Honestly I even find on days I take armodafonil (which is every day lol) and Modafinil that meth seems to have a decreased effectiveness for me.

I don't find the reverse to be true though, I actually find I'm more alert when medicated with armodafonil than with Dexedrine due to the cross tolerance effects. Weird.

Either that or I've shot my tolerance just in time to go back out outpatient. Sometimes that just happens.

also -- i don't wanna alarm you - but you are going to need to find a doctor for this benzo issue. that kind of dosage and time will be extremely dangerous to approach coming off of without medical support. I would strongly recommend getting a doctor to work with you, and get onto a longer acting benzo and begin titration. from what i've seen with multiple friends dealing with this, it may be difficult to find a doctor, so I would work on this sooner rather than later. benzo withdrawal is so much worse than opioid withdrawal i cannot put into words. and that dosage/that time/that history of trauma. I would give myself as much lead time tapering as possible and work out a plan before i was dealing with the mental impairment of the benzos being cut off.

and also - sorry to hear about all your loss, and dealing with the parkinsons. that is a lot, and I just want you to know that someone else is acknowledging that that is a lot of stuff to have on a plate at once man. I really hope you get the care you need to deal with the situation <3