• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Methamphetamine Drug Testing

Braley

Bluelighter
Hey Everyone! For the last year I have been going through the process of getting approval for weight loss surgery. In June I relapsed on Meth. To this day I have been unable to stop. My surgery is scheduled for December 29, 2021. My pre op appointment for lab work is on Tuesday. I do not plan on using anymore after today. I don’t exactly know if they will do a drug test. I know they will be doing blood work and a urinalysis, but just in case they do, will I be okay by Tuesday at 2:00?

Your use of meth shouldn't interfere with your surgery in 4 days if you stop using today. By that time you still may have some in your blood and urine but you won't be saturated with it. Doctor's know how to give us anesthesia when we are opioid and meth addicted. They will test your heart, draw your blood and do a few other pre-op procedures to make sure you are healthy enough for the surgery. Your surgeon isn't going to rat you out for it being in your system. He just wants to make sure he doesn't kill you by putting you under. And he will know what your heart and blood look like before he cuts you open. An anesthesiologist will not allow surgery if you can't withstand it. And the operating surgeon will follow his advice.

Your use of meth shouldn't interfere with your surgery in 4 days if you stop using today. By that time you still may have some in your blood and urine but you won't be saturated with it. Doctor's know how to give us anesthesia when we are opioid and meth addicted. They will test your heart, draw your blood and do a few other pre-op procedures to make sure you are healthy enough for the surgery. Your surgeon isn't going to rat you out for it being in your system. He just wants to make sure he doesn't kill you by putting you under. And he will know what your heart and blood look like before he cuts you open. An anesthesiologist will not allow surgery if you can't withstand it. And the operating surgeon will follow his advice.
So I have to go in Tuesday for labs ( blood work, urinalysis, chest X-ray) so when they do the blood work and urinalysis will they do a drug test as well?

So I have to go in Tuesday for labs ( blood work, urinalysis, chest X-ray) so when they do the blood work and urinalysis will they do a drug test as well?
They might. They will have your blood and urine and not only will they look at your levels of sodium, potassium, creatine etc they might UA your blood and urine for controlled substances. But it isn't a crime to use drugs. They won't rat you out. They just don't want to take a chance that you will have complications under anesthesia. If it will put your mind at ease call your surgeon tomorrow. Tell him you have been taking meth ( and how long ) and tell him you have discontinued it for your upcoming surgery. He will probably tell you that as long as you aren't high when you come in for the procedure that they can work around any methamphetamine that still might be in your blood. It's gonna be okay. Just call his office tomorrow and tell him what you wrote here. Good luck with your surgery.

I wonder if that is as an American thing to screen for illegal drugs pre-surgery. I’m sure it is illegal here since a patient is required to give informed consent to all medical procedures and tests (with the possible exception of random roadside drug and alcohol testing where it’s basically impossible to refuse).

I would think that if your regular bloodwork is within normal/safe parameters for your procedure it would be a non issue - but if something was way off that might come back and start asking questions trying to determine the underlying cause. My experience with doctors is that they don’t actually lead with the assumption you are a drug fiend unless you’ve been brought in by the cops and have trackmarks up your arms or eyes like dinner plates. I currently have the problem that I have some medical problems very likely caused by drugs, but none of my doctors seems to have even considered that as a cause and are stumped (I’d answer honestly if they asked but I just can’t bring myself to volunteer it in the hope they’ll be able to treat it symptomatically and the cause doesn’t really matter).

But back to you….if you are clean for four days you’ll be fine as far as any acute meth effects go and would likely pass a screening test (urine anyway). However, you do need to bear in mind that there are also potentially chronic effects of meth. Especially on your cardio-vascular and respiratory symptoms. And especially if you are overweight. However, it is probably not a cause for concern because the regular testing they do before surgery and the monitoring they do during surgery will keep you safe from any complications.

Good luck with the surgery and don’t fret to much about any of this. Doctor’s are mostly very understanding and quite tolerant people who have seen it all many times. Even if you do end up having to discuss your prior meth use with your doctor, there is no need to be afraid of that discussion or be less than honest. He/she just wants to make sure he has all the info he needs to make your surgery and recovery a success.